Heated grips or heated gloves?

2 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

Have you tried a cramp buster?

I've used one of these for 3/4 years now and we did have a discussion about them a while back. 
I think one will solve your issue of having to grip harder due to less feel. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Throttle-Rest-Cruise-Aid-Control-Cramp-Buster-Rocker-/142963248583?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I’m not gripping harder due to reduced feel but to get the volume of material to bend around the grip but yes that’s a good idea and I forgot I actually have one somewhere that I’ve never used so thanks for reminding me about it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2 days ago I ran an 'experiment' to determine which is best, and judged both on 7 factors - heating speed, versatility, compatibility, convenience, lifespan, price, and coverage. I concluded that heated gloves were better, but it was a narrow victory.

3 minutes ago, Rider UK said:

2 days ago I ran an 'experiment' to determine which is best, and judged both on 7 factors - heating speed, versatility, compatibility, convenience, lifespan, price, and coverage. I concluded that heated gloves were better, but it was a narrow victory.

Nice one.

What distance was covered in the tests?

I mean, was it for short commute type trip or for a more touring style one day long trip?

1 minute ago, husoi said:

Nice one.

What distance was covered in the tests?

I mean, was it for short commute type trip or for a more touring style one day long trip?

I've been using both on short journeys, and whilst doing deliveries. In my tests I was using the grips, until my camera gave up on me 😆 I haven't tested them for a long period of time (ie. on a tour), but I think I have a decent feel for both. I considered long term lifespan, and replacement costs etc. in the experiment.

Have to say my heated gloves have been great. Not had cold fingers since I got them and as they are "smart" the batteries last for a decent length of time except in the very coldest conditions. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Have to say my heated gloves have been great. Not had cold fingers since I got them and as they are "smart" the batteries last for a decent length of time except in the very coldest conditions. 

How long is a decent length of time? It’s the battery length that puts me off heated gloves and as Ive stepped off the bike and walked away to the twanging sound of me ripping heated gear from its socket more than once I’m no longer keen on the plug in stuff 🤦‍♀️ 

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

How long is a decent length of time? It’s the battery length that puts me off heated gloves and as Ive stepped off the bike and walked away to the twanging sound of me ripping heated gear from its socket more than once I’m no longer keen on the plug in stuff 🤦‍♀️ 

I would say that is one of the variables that strongly depends on each individual.

I'm still considering getting the gloves but definitely would need a spare set of batteries because my trips are usually over 250 miles and a whole day journey.

For what I've seen the battery would last around 3 to 6 hours (depending on setting) so if your trip is over that you either need to allow charging or a replacement battery.

• Like 1

I have three keis battery packs n 4 hrs is the max I get out of each one. They are very large for portable batteries and I always had to carry a spare. Now I see they have a battery that’s double the output but it’s also £109 with the charger or £85 without. I won’t be stocking up on those in a hurry!

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I have three keis battery packs n 4 hrs is the max I get out of each one. They are very large for portable batteries and I always had to carry a spare. Now I see they have a battery that’s double the output but it’s also £109 with the charger or £85 without. I won’t be stocking up on those in a hurry!

Well... another use for my trailer 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I've ridden from Barnard Castle to Stroud in temps of 2C on a single charge. I did invest in the larger batteries but they still fit in the cuff of the gloves. The smaller ones are my reserve. So total on road time at motorway speeds was 4 hours.

• Like 1