Heated grips or heated gloves?

Well I ordered the  Ixon gloves yesterday from Sportsbike and they arrived at 0710 this morning.  I've charged the batteries and set them up on the app. Fit really well - 2XL is my size and aren't too bulky. Hope to give them a try tomorrow otherwise it'll be after Christmas.

13 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The liners are unbeatable on the heat front but with comfortable gloves over the top they are bulky so over a long distance (I consider that the 3+ hour point) I find they tire my hands due to having to grip harder, that doesn’t mean they’re not great, just depends what you’re doing. 
I use my heated grips frequently. Naturally a cold blooded soul apart from the hottest summer weeks I like the help of heated grips, I don’t want to be thinking about my hands when I ride. 
Good gloves make a big difference and since I bought my ‘Five Sub Zero’ gloves and my bulkier Held lobster claws I don’t bother with the liners. With those gloves you have to get used to adjusting your grip to accommodate the bulk and you’re in a warm place without the discomfort of a liner.

How do you find the five gloves? I'm tempted to get a pair of them, although the variations for their heated gloves is a bit confusing. I have a pair of five gloves I use I'm warmer times and they fit perfectly so I'm tempted but they are a bit expensive

13 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The liners are unbeatable on the heat front but with comfortable gloves over the top they are bulky so over a long distance (I consider that the 3+ hour point) I find they tire my hands due to having to grip harder, that doesn’t mean they’re not great, just depends what you’re doing. 
I use my heated grips frequently. Naturally a cold blooded soul apart from the hottest summer weeks I like the help of heated grips, I don’t want to be thinking about my hands when I ride. 
Good gloves make a big difference and since I bought my ‘Five Sub Zero’ gloves and my bulkier Held lobster claws I don’t bother with the liners. With those gloves you have to get used to adjusting your grip to accommodate the bulk and you’re in a warm place without the discomfort of a liner.

How do you find the five gloves? I'm tempted to get a pair of them, although the variations for their heated gloves is a bit confusing. I have a pair of five gloves I use I'm warmer times and they fit perfectly so I'm tempted but they are a bit expensive

The Five minus zero WFX are incredibly warm and for me a good fit. Easily the most comfortable winter glove I own and I have a lot of gloves to choose from.

I have such a large number of gloves because I kept buying them in the hope that the next pair would be warm enough and I stopped buying them when I found the Five Minus Zeros and the Held lobster claw mitts (those I use with merino wool liners). The latter combo is the warmest but bulky as mitts tend to be. I wore the Five minus zeroes in relentlessly cold temperatures where it really was sub zero day after day and they did the job, chilly fingertips after a couple of hours but that was without heated grips, with heated grips they’re very toasty, so toasty you have to turn the grip heat down.
I got mine for £70 because at the time Motolegends were selling them off, apparently Motolegends considered them too warm for most people’s needs so they were getting rid. Nuts if you ask me, every winter motorcyclists complain about their fingers.

They worked out so well I paid full price for a pair for my other half and even though initially he wasn’t that thrilled (I don’t think he liked the look of them) I don’t think I’ve seen him wear another pair of gloves when it’s cold!

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
  • Thanks 1

It appears they’re on offer. 
The vids funny, reading out loud is clearly not her forte, just as well a lot of people get shacked up together based on looks alone 😂

Ive wrongly been referring to them as sub zero and they’re actually called minus zero. I’ll amend the other post. 

https://www.five-gloves.shop/five-wfx-skin-minus-zero-waterproof-adult-gloves-black/

4 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

The vids funny, reading out loud is clearly not her forte, just as well a lot of people get shacked up together based on looks alone 😂

Ive wrongly been referring to them as sub zero and they’re actually called minus zero. I’ll amend the other post. 

https://www.five-gloves.shop/five-wfx-skin-minus-zero-waterproof-adult-gloves-black/

I'd definitely watch her before the Chap With a Cap. I thought she was sweet 🥰

She is sweet. Some people are like pets aren’t they 😆

Chap in a cap grates. His reviews are mainly good but there’s something about him that I can’t like. A bit tightly wound maybe? Or perhaps it’s that he’s given himself a nickname that he tells you at the beginning of every review, just seems a bit knobby. 

I don’t mind Anthony from Revzilla cos he’s clearly having a competition with himself to see just how fast he can talk!

16 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Good gloves make a big difference and since I bought my ‘Five Minus Zero’ gloves and my bulkier Held lobster claws I don’t bother with the heated liners. With those gloves you have to get used to adjusting your grip to accommodate the bulk and you’re in a warm place without the discomfort of a liner.

have you ever tried mitts all your fingers are together then, never tried them myself but i beleive the idea works 

Edited by skyrider

4 minutes ago, skyrider said:

have you ever tried mitts all your fingers are together then, never tried them myself but i beleive the idea works 

Ive tried but not succeeded in finding a pair of mitts where all the fingers are together that were good enough quality to work. Most of them don’t have enough insulating material or aren’t designed for motorcycling (large and flappy like oven gloves).

Even the well rated (for skiing) Black Diamond mercury mitts put a divider inside the glove between the middle fingers, dunno why, they probably think it improves dexterity but it doesn’t. I’m happy with the Helds, they are plenty warm enough, with merino liners and heated grips they are warm to too hot. Quite cheap from SBS as well. 

If its cold enough for heated grips i dont go out ,  my Z1000 had them fitted when i bought it , went out and it must of got  a little bit fresh and flicked em on ,  i must say they was brilliant .

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Ive tried but not succeeded in finding a pair of mitts where all the fingers are together that were good enough quality to work. Most of them don’t have enough insulating material or aren’t designed for motorcycling (large and flappy like oven gloves).

Even the well rated (for skiing) Black Diamond mercury mitts put a divider inside the glove between the middle fingers, dunno why, they probably think it improves dexterity but it doesn’t. I’m happy with the Helds, they are plenty warm enough, with merino liners and heated grips they are warm to too hot. Quite cheap from SBS as well. 

thats ok then 

2 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Are they "waterproof" have you tried the bucket test?

26 minutes ago, raesewell said:

Are they "waterproof" have you tried the bucket test?

No I have not tried the bucket test and probably won’t but I’ve not had wet hands yet. Should add I pick the least rainy days to ride so while I have been caught in down pours many times and they’ve stayed dry inside they’ve not had a rigorous testing on that score. 

5 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

She is sweet. Some people are like pets aren’t they 😆

Chap in a cap grates. His reviews are mainly good but there’s something about him that I can’t like. A bit tightly wound maybe? Or perhaps it’s that he’s given himself a nickname that he tells you at the beginning of every review, just seems a bit knobby. 

I don’t mind Anthony from Revzilla cos he’s clearly having a competition with himself to see just how fast he can talk!

I like Revzilla reviews too. As a point of interest, their parent company was recently fined $1.93m as a consequence of selling about 7000 aftermarket exhausts that fell foul of California’s emissions regulations!

Edited by learningtofly

1 hour ago, learningtofly said:

I like Revzilla reviews too. As a point of interest, their parent company was recently fined $180m as a consequence of selling about 7000 aftermarket exhausts that fell foul of California’s emissions regulations!

180 million, just how did they arrive at that figure? Their lawyer must have been crap!

25 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

180 million, just how did they arrive at that figure? Their lawyer must have been crap!

No idea, but I read it today in Road (the MAG, errr, mag). However, my post had a typo - I meant to say $1.8m although it was actually $1.93m

Luckily its it’s too late for a TOTY nomination 😀

Edited by learningtofly
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

California has insanely strict emission laws which they charge extortionate fines for breaking them. Even petrol stations have special pumps so that no fumes escape into the atmosphere. And as for ship's emissions I won't even start .......

Even $1.9 million is going to smart.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 1

On 21/12/2020 at 21:59, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Good gloves make a big difference and since I bought my ‘Five Minus Zero’ gloves and my bulkier Held lobster claws I don’t bother with the heated liners. With those gloves you have to get used to adjusting your grip to accommodate the bulk and you’re in a warm place without the discomfort of a liner.

Have you tried a cramp buster?

I've used one of these for 3/4 years now and we did have a discussion about them a while back. 
I think one will solve your issue of having to grip harder due to less feel. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Throttle-Rest-Cruise-Aid-Control-Cramp-Buster-Rocker-/142963248583?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292