Heated grips or heated gloves?

Throwing this out to the floor. Never used to suffer from cold hands until lately but now I do plus I've arthritis in my fingers.  So heated grips or gloves? Any opinions as to which is better?

Cost isn't really an issue as I can add heated gloves to my warm and safe kit. Ducati's  heated grips are 10 times the price of Oxford  ones but are set up through the bike on board computer.

Edited by S-Westerly

Considering that decent heated grips will cost around £50 to £80 and I found that I can get a good pair of heated gloves for £40 it makes me think that I'll be better off with the gloves.

Advantage is that you can take them with you until you get indoors.

Easier to replace if they get faulty while grips you have to dismantle half of the bike (ST1300 in my case).

downside is you will need more than 1 battery pack for long trips.

How good are they? No idea...

If going down the heated grip route, use gloves containing Outlast. This transfers the heat from the grips all round the gloves whereas non-Outlast gloves just get warm in the palm area.

I also have heated gloves and, for really cold rides, they are better than using heated grips + Outlast gloves. In rain they also work better because the heat is inside the gloves and it helps the water-repellent membrane function. If you use heated grips and ordinary gloves in the rain it puts the Gore-tex/Hypora/etc into reverse and your hands get wet! Heated gloves are a faff to get on beause of the wires but, I suppose, battery-powered one don'e have this problem?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OldEssexMan said:

If going down the heated grip route, use gloves containing Outlast. This transfers the heat from the grips all round the gloves whereas non-Outlast gloves just get warm in the palm area.

Ta for that; sounds like a useful tip :thumb:

I've some heated inner gloves. Don't really them cos they're so bulky.

I've been toying with the idea of getting some too.

The thing I've noticing is that cheaper ones come with low capacity batteries while the more expensive ones will have a better battery.

Like in everything, you get what you're paying for. :thumb: 

• Like 1

I've got both, Yamaha OEM grips and my loving wife bought me a pair of Gerbing gloves for my birthday to stop me winging about freezing fingers in the winter .... The grips alone are good but they only keep your palms warm.  Gerbing gloves are spot on, a bit on the thick side but they do provide enough warmth to keep my fingers a normal shade of pink

Guest Swagman
35 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

I've got both, Yamaha OEM grips and my loving wife bought me a pair of Gerbing gloves for my birthday to stop me winging about freezing fingers in the winter .... The grips alone are good but they only keep your palms warm.  Gerbing gloves are spot on, a bit on the thick side but they do provide enough warmth to keep my fingers a normal shade of pink

I have the same heated gloves nice and warm.

Hi all.

As a temporary measure has anyone tried them heated pads. One of our local shops sell them for 99p. I'm wondering if they would work pushed down in between the glove and the back of the hand.

They apparently heat up in contact with the skin, and are supposed to last several hours. I'm tempted to have a go until I invest in something more substantial.

Regards.  

This guy i follow on YouTube has done a few vids on this topic. think this is his latest

I would like some heated gloves just so i can stay warm from the house to bike etc. Use handlebar muffs and cheap Chinese heated grips on the GS125 in winter. palms are toasty and the muffs help keep the breeze off. On a faster bike this would not be as effective.

The grips i got a few years ago still work but now the price is about 3 times the £2.99 i paid then.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, raesewell said:

I've tried them they work OK for a while not very hot but warming. They are, believe it or not called Little Hotties, you can imagine what comes up in a Google search :classic_unsure:

yes can well imagine :classic_ohmy:

So its toss-up between Warm and Safe heated liner gloves which can be powered off the bikes electrics or Racer heated gloves which have a battery pack which in its latest iteration can be good for up to 6 hours. I'll think on it a bit.

We'll cancel the Racer gloves as the only sizes available are 3XL.

Edited by S-Westerly

40 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

So its toss-up between Warm and Safe heated liner gloves which can be powered off the bikes electrics or Racer heated gloves which have a battery pack which in its latest iteration can be good for up to 6 hours. I'll think on it a bit.

We'll cancel the Racer gloves as the only sizes available are 3XL.

Probably better than heated grips, must see how the heaters are placed.

don’t want to say that heated grips are not good as mine on highest setup could cause first degree burnings, but not where I need it.

• Like 1

Decided in the end to try Ixon heated gloves. Insanely expensive and they get delivered tomorrow.  Be able to review them after my trip to the north after Christmas. 

Edited by S-Westerly

3 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Decided in the end to try Ixon heated gloves. Insanely expensive and they get delivered tomorrow.  Be able to review them after my trip to the north after Christmas. 

One with reactive insulation concept?

3 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I look forward to your views once you've had a chance to test them.

• Like 1

I have both. The grips are a superb always-available addition to the bike and I wouldn't be without them; however, they only heat the inside of your hands and heated gloves are generally far more efficient. The problem with the latter is that they're either bulky if battery power) or expensive and a bit of a hassle (if plug-in).

3 hours ago, Marino said:

One with reactive insulation concept?

Supposedly you set up an app then Bluetooth to the gloves and they automatically maintain a  temperature of your choice. Could be interesting!

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 1

The liners are unbeatable on the heat front but with comfortable gloves over the top they are bulky so over a long distance (I consider that the 3+ hour point) I find they tire my hands due to having to grip harder, that doesn’t mean they’re not great, just depends what you’re doing. 
I use my heated grips frequently. Naturally a cold blooded soul apart from the hottest summer weeks I like the help of heated grips, I don’t want to be thinking about my hands when I ride. 
Good gloves make a big difference and since I bought my ‘Five Minus Zero’ gloves and my bulkier Held lobster claws I don’t bother with the heated liners. With those gloves you have to get used to adjusting your grip to accommodate the bulk and you’re in a warm place without the discomfort of a liner.

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
  • Like 1