Anyone good with old circuit boards?

Mr Fro

Alright dudes.

Is anyone out there a whizz at fixing up old circuit boards?

The control board on my mill is knacked and needs a bit of attention - It's popped the main power input traces a couple of times by the look of it.

Here's a pic of the offending article. As you can see, it's of a certain vintage!

71b53a41-70e7-4490-a7ff-045ab71fddf5.jpg

You will need a photo of the printed circuit too.

To look for eventual burnt sections that could be diverting power the wrong way.

check the capacitors (the fat things marked with a number followed by the one legged uF) like the blue 680 uF on the bottom left corner if their shape is not entirely cylindrical they will be damaged and have short circuit, they will need replaced.

Just now, Bender

Is it a brigeport, there is a brigeport yahoo group, may be of help.

You know it!

I'm already on the yahoo group. I've got the diagram but have little time or interest in troubleshooting it.

Just though I'd throw it out to anyone who can fix it in exchange for cash.

2 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

You know it!

I'm already on the yahoo group. I've got the diagram but have little time or interest in troubleshooting it.

Just though I'd throw it out to anyone who can fix it in exchange for cash.

You probably be better off just buying a new board then.

time spent just looking for the fault will likely be more than just getting a new one.

It's worth repairing if you live in India or one of those countries where people get paid $1.5 a day 

Edited by husoi

Can't be done @husoi, they're long defunct!

I've cobbled together an alternative to power the feed motors for now but it would be good to have it running the original gear.

@Bender - I've tried that forum for stuff in the past and it's not been the most helpful.

There is a company that will do an exchange refurbishment but they've not replied to my emails.

I know some people have an interest in fixing up this kind of stuff and keep components in stock. I have two types of diode in the garage and that's it!

There is a pretty good thread on the Erskine PCB and schematic here on the model engineer site also a link to a replacement unit but looks to be out of stock but may be worth giving them a bell.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=143293

exchange unit here https://www.bridgeportuk.com/erskine-control-unit-service-exchange-941-p.asp

Edited by paulc
added link

Good point about the CB boys, I hadn't considered that.

I found a local bloke on FB who's happy to have a look. So long as he doesn't rip the arse out if it then we're all good.

@paulc - That's the company I've contacted and am still waiting... I think I must have read just about every thread on the internet about problems with these frigging boards!

49 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

Good point about the CB boys, I hadn't considered that.

I found a local bloke on FB who's happy to have a look. So long as he doesn't rip the arse out if it then we're all good.

@paulc - That's the company I've contacted and am still waiting... I think I must have read just about every thread on the internet about problems with these frigging boards!

This is a good place to ask for used parts, I once got a speed selector assy for my 20 odd year old Prazi mill here by posting an ad..its worth a go. https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/