Railway repairs

Bianco2564

We live about 1/4 mile from the West cost mainline and saw in the news last week reports of a landslip nearby causing trains to be diverted via Northampton, It said the driver felt something was wrong with the track. We could hear work going on and took a walk down there this afternoon to see what they are doing. They have cleared about 100 metres of trees and undergrowth and are piling up must be thousands of tons of ballast to shore it up. You can actually see the ends of the sleepers and where a load of wiring is exposed where what looks like a concrete channel has collapsed.

This must have been so close to complete disaster as the trains come by in excess of 100mph if they aren't stopping at Rugby.

I guess after the recent fatal crash in Scotland they are playing it ultra safe.

20210206_155225_copy_1600x720.jpg

20210206_155238_copy_1600x720.jpg

20210206_160445.jpg

• Like 1

Good that the driver could tell something wasn't quite right, may have stopped a disaster.

A colleague at work has the railway guys doing much the same at the line at the bottom of her massive garden. Paying her £400 a week for access to the track, and gonna be at least 6 weeks work 💵

I’m always amazed how sensitive Drivers are to track conditions .....

Drivers do not have the best rep in the industry ...

Unionised to the hilt and will go to great lengths NOT to take a train into traffic... "Oh my chair isn’t warm enough “ ...."The windscreen wash is empty" ..... AT THE OTHER END OF THE TRAIN !!!! 

But just now and again they star ..... superstar .....  ....

Edited by Trooper74

12 minutes ago, Fish said:

Lucky an accident never happened. I'm still not convinced that cutting tree's back to such extents helps as the roots help bind things up.

Fish

Same reason there is so much flooding happening, majority of the natural flood plains have been built on, and vast woodlands been cut down for housing and the water has nowhere left to go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fish said:

Lucky an accident never happened. I'm still not convinced that cutting tree's back to such extents helps as the roots help bind things up.

Fish

Hopefully they will cover the bank in soil and replant it to stabilise it.

Edited by Bianco2564
Correcton

On 06/02/2021 at 20:56, Trooper74 said:

I’m always amazed how sensitive Drivers are to track conditions .....

Drivers do not have the best rep in the industry ...

Unionised to the hilt and will go to great lengths NOT to take a train into traffic... "Oh my chair isn’t warm enough “ ...."The windscreen wash is empty" ..... AT THE OTHER END OF THE TRAIN !!!! 

But just now and again they star ..... superstar .....  ....

At our place we have one unit in a really distinctive livery and the drivers have learned that it’s got a history of being cold so always knock it out. 
we got around this initially by replacing the repair book but now they know it’s “that” train by the livery and knock it straight away 🤬🤬🤬