Crazy parts pricing

raesewell

I recently took the FJR into my local dealer (Padgetts in Batley) for a brake switch recall. I have only taken my bike to Padgetts twice and both time it came out with something wrong with it, I'm not casting aspersions it's just a statement of fact. So this time I rode home from the recall work and parked the bike in the garage and didn't look at it for a week or so. When I did go into the garage I had a brake fluid leak which I tracked down to the right front brake pipe. I thought it would be a good time to upgrade the whole system to braided lines. I ordered a whole kit from Goodridge, however they are having some supply problems so I am thinking of ditching this idea and just replacing the leaky hose with an OEM one, this is where the crazy pricing comes in. The front brake pipe is one piece for both sides joined to an ABS block. To buy this part from Fowlers is £184.54 inc VAT + delivery at £5.50 to give a grand total of £190.04
However, there is an alternative, buy from America. If I go to Partshark I can get the same OEM part with the same part number as here in the UK for $53.48 (£38.63) + delivery $67.75 (£48.95) for a grand total of $121.23 (£87.55)

WTF

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Then you go to aftermarket parts that would be made by the same manufacturer for half the price.

Take as example wheel bearings..

Honda OEM NSK front wheel bearing for my Pan costs over £50 + postage.

any bearing online shop will charge me around £4.50 plus postage for the same NSK bearing.

Honda charge £45.50 for a plastic bag with their logo.

You need to keep in mind the motorbike makers are the design and assemble right owners but most parts are outsourced.

Find who makes the parts and save your money.

7 minutes ago, raesewell said:

I recently took the FJR into my local dealer (Padgetts in Batley) for a brake switch recall. I have only taken my bike to Padgetts twice and both time it came out with something wrong with it, I'm not casting aspersions it's just a statement of fact. So this time I rode home from the recall work and parked the bike in the garage and didn't look at it for a week or so. When I did go into the garage I had a brake fluid leak which I tracked down to the right front brake pipe. I thought it would be a good time to upgrade the whole system to braided lines. I ordered a whole kit from Goodridge, however they are having some supply problems so I am thinking of ditching this idea and just replacing the leaky hose with an OEM one, this is where the crazy pricing comes in. The front brake pipe is one piece for both sides joined to an ABS block. To buy this part from Fowlers is £184.54 inc VAT + delivery at £5.50 to give a grand total of £190.04
However, there is an alternative, buy from America. If I go to Partshark I can get the same OEM part with the same part number as here in the UK for $53.48 (£38.63) + delivery $67.75 (£48.95) for a grand total of $121.23 (£87.55)

WTF

Have you looked at the HEL lines?

I actually prefer the finish to the Goodridge ones.

Cheers

Ian

I have been in touch with HEL and Venhill and they both want me to strip the brake lines and send them off to them so they can make copies. I am not prepared to go to those lengths at the moment. Goodridge have the patterns but are experiencing long delays due to import and staff problems. Hey ho.

10 minutes ago, raesewell said:

I have been in touch with HEL and Venhill and they both want me to strip the brake lines and send them off to them so they can make copies. I am not prepared to go to those lengths at the moment. Goodridge have the patterns but are experiencing long delays due to import and staff problems. Hey ho.

Wow I am surprised they don`t have patterns after all the FJ range aren`t exactly rare or terribly new.

Cheers

Ian

2 hours ago, raesewell said:

WTF

that makes life a bit cheaper are you going to go for it  ?

• 2 weeks later...