Drift 4k battery life

Hey, anyone here use the drift 4k?

Im curious how the battery lasts, the one ive got coming says it has 1500mAh in built, with 450mAh module included so assume thats an extra battery, I see you can buy an extra 1500 too.. to be honest they listings dont make sense so hoping someone here bought one and knows a little more.. it will arrive Monday but will order extras if need it..

cheers

On 21/05/2021 at 13:52, jedibiker said:

Hey, anyone here use the drift 4k?

Im curious how the battery lasts, the one ive got coming says it has 1500mAh in built, with 450mAh module included so assume thats an extra battery, I see you can buy an extra 1500 too.. to be honest they listings dont make sense so hoping someone here bought one and knows a little more.. it will arrive Monday but will order extras if need it..

cheers

I had the 4K and bought the external battery pack. It lasted a full day's riding. Warning the 4K is NOT waterproof. I got caught out in heavy rain and it died. Replaced it with the XL which is waterproof and has a 9 hour battery life. Is cheaper too but doesn't have 4K screen resolution. 

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

I had the 4K and bought the external battery pack. It lasted a full day's riding. Warning the 4K is NOT waterproof. I got caught out in heavy rain and it died. Replaced it with the XL which is waterproof and has a 9 hour battery life. Is cheaper too but doesn't have 4K screen resolution. 

I was looking at the XL for the reason of battery life but struggled to find good quality sample videos. its not bad though, better as dash cam based on what I saw. But it could depend how people upload too.

glad the extra battery is worth it. I saw its not waterproof which is mad considering its the top range camera lol.

9 hours ago, jedibiker said:

I was looking at the XL for the reason of battery life but struggled to find good quality sample videos. its not bad though, better as dash cam based on what I saw. But it could depend how people upload too.

glad the extra battery is worth it. I saw its not waterproof which is mad considering its the top range camera lol.

Exactly and it's why I was pissed off with Drift. Tried a Gopro  and ended up going back to Drift but with the XL which does what I want. I find 1080 video is good enough. I'm not you tubing and not boring the arse of folks showing my efforts on a large format TV. It's good enough on my laptop.

Edited by S-Westerly

11 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Exactly and it's why I was pissed off with Drift. Tried a Gopro  and ended up going back to Drift but with the XL which does what I want. I find 1080 video is good enough. I'm not you tubing and not boring the arse of folks showing my efforts on a large format TV. It's good enough on my laptop.

lol good point. I will be boring people will nc500 footage next year but instead of videos of people putting gloves on will try and be interesting. I also dont want the ugly waterproof box thing, unless have too in Scotland (although id not see the point sharing a rainy video)

Edited by jedibiker

I have the Drift 4k,  I get about 2 to 2.5hrs battery life continuous recording .  Picture quality is superb, sound quality however, if mounted to your helmet, bike, or anywhere that wind will interfere with recording, is crap.  I countered this by purchasing an external mike and putting it inside my pocket or somewhere away from wind interference.   Make sure the firmware is checked and updated, I had an issue with my camera turning itself off,  it was due to outdated firmware.  And as has already been mention it isn't waterproof 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, manxie49 said:

I have the Drift 4k,  I get about 2 to 2.5hrs battery life continuous recording .  Picture quality is superb, sound quality however, if mounted to your helmet, bike, or anywhere that wind will interfere with recording, is crap.  I countered this by purchasing an external mike and putting it inside my pocket or somewhere away from wind interference.   Make sure the firmware is checked and updated, I had an issue with my camera turning itself off,  it was due to outdated firmware.  And as has already been mention it isn't waterproof 👍

is that standard battery too? mine is coming with an external mic by the looks of it, but have one anyway. cheers.

35 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

is that standard battery too? mine is coming with an external mic by the looks of it, but have one anyway. cheers.

Yes standard battery, it was the original that came with the camera,  a couple of years old now.  Gets a lot of use,  I would also say, apart from not being waterproof, the camera is pretty robust, I've dropped and bashed it loads of times and the recorded footage is still high quality.

Just now, manxie49 said:

Yes standard battery, it was the original that came with the camera,  a couple of years old now.  Gets a lot of use,  I would also say, apart from not being waterproof, the camera is pretty robust, I've dropped and bashed it loads of times and the recorded footage is still high quality.

Mine comes tomorrow so look forward to testing it. says in the bumf it comes with 1500mah and 450 but doubt they will be sending extra battery, bigger one is £23 so not bad upgrade.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 16:51, manxie49 said:

Do you know if this rewrites the sd card when full or stops? i dont want that but saw a video mention it but cant find it in settings

3 hours ago, jedibiker said:

Do you know if this rewrites the sd card when full or stops? i dont want that but saw a video mention it but cant find it in settings

Settings are car DVR where it just records over itself continually or you can set it to record a set time on pressing button which is a tad fiddly, you can get a  remote bt wrist activator which you can wear or mount, so you can have it on all the time  and it records pre set time when you need to.

Upside no continual record of your riding, downside you may be in a hedge unable to press it 

11 hours ago, Bender said:

Settings are car DVR where it just records over itself continually or you can set it to record a set time on pressing button which is a tad fiddly, you can get a  remote bt wrist activator which you can wear or mount, so you can have it on all the time  and it records pre set time when you need to.

Upside no continual record of your riding, downside you may be in a hedge unable to press it 

the 4k doesnt work by remote but does by the app which is on the phone. I was just worried if i start it then set off and for some reason fills the card it will wipe it, but like you said i think its in car mode.

only came with a curved mount and i need flat so faffing to get one now.

32 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

the 4k doesnt work by remote but does by the app which is on the phone. I was just worried if i start it then set off and for some reason fills the card it will wipe it, but like you said i think its in car mode.

only came with a curved mount and i need flat so faffing to get one now.

Drift say it does 

https://www.grooves-inc.co.uk/drift-drift-ghost-remote-drift-hardware-electronic-pZZa1-2099857146.html?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwLKFBhDPARIsAPzPi-KEnF8-xvmWX8Ar3mPK6lfMyU4cPJ4dGzCdtXjmjWXj0bw7gvb0SpgaAjlrEALw_wcB

13 minutes ago, Bender said:

ah weird i asked someone they said no, ive got the 4k+ though and im yet to find what the difference is

On 24/05/2021 at 17:56, jedibiker said:

It rewrites the SD card but you can change that in the camera settings 

10 minutes ago, Bender said:

Yes on board mics are dire 😂 

was the rear mic as well which is meant to reduce noise, was set to sensitive so also not best idea. didnt know

5 hours ago, jedibiker said:

was the rear mic as well which is meant to reduce noise, was set to sensitive so also not best idea. didnt know

Mine was exactly the same,  Mike improves things though

• Like 1

used it today to video bikes will doing photoshoots, had it plugged into a battery bank and it ran all day.. was on a tripod too so curious how smooth the vids will look at 4k..

wasnt windy so mic should have picked bikes up just fine.

Turns out the footage is so bad when im on my bike and not my mrs fazer.  my suspension must be bouncier than i though as every bump is seen in the footage. yet on the fazer it glides..

wanted to do suspension anyway so now ive an excuse