helmet standards issue (newbie question)

gennady

Just passed my CBT yesterday and have sort of problem now.

So, on CBT I've been told and in highway code it says that helmet needs to be compliant to one of the standards. It should be shown on the back of the helmet which standards it is compliant.

After passing CBT I went to shop which looked very reputable and good, this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/J%26S+Accessories+-+Leyton/@51.5816112,-0.058554,13z/data=!3m1!5s0x48761d8d69ff5f07:0xe629ff81d7f28664!4m9!1m2!2m1!1smotorcycle+shop!3m5!1s0x47d8a6e9904515b9:0xc91abfed596c0c38!8m2!3d51.5767996!4d-0.0106577!15sCg9tb3RvcmN5Y2xlIHNob3BaESIPbW90b3JjeWNsZSBzaG9wkgEPbW90b3JjeWNsZV9zaG9w

and bought this helmet: https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/nolan-n100-5-classic-n-com-helmet-005-white-33098?searchId=9&variant=111047

next day I looked at it and noticed that it contains not stamps about meeting any standards, instruction do not mention that as well.

I called a shop and ask them is it road legal and they told it is, 'they are not allowed to sell non road legal helmets'. I asked them there is a mark they told me on yellow sticked on the visor, which doesn't seems to me in any shape of form to be approved.

Could anyone help me to understand the situation? Is this helmet seem to be road legal for you?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by gennady

J & S are a reputable dealer and anything they sell is going to be legal for use in the UK. Nolan are also a reputable manufacturer so again won't be producing illegal products. If you buy online from some unknown seller at a super cheap price then beware. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

J & S are a reputable dealer and anything they sell is going to be legal for use in the UK. Nolan are also a reputable manufacturer so again won't be producing illegal products. If you buy online from some unknown seller at a super cheap price then beware. 

What he said.

There is only one mark that matters unless or until the UK comes up with its own (post Brexit) And that's the ECE mark. ECE 22.05

Any helmet you buy in the UK made for road use will have this standard. the exceptions are helmets specifically for off road use. and "Chinese Knockoffs" (which are cheap copies at prices too good to be true from dodgy unregulated sellers, like aliexpress - or sometime quick buck stores on markets)

That ranges from the £50 helmet you occasionally see sold in Aldi.. to the absolute top of the range special edition.. Arai. at £1000+

It doesn't matter.. they all have this.

Obviously the Nolan you point at does too... its so well understood they don't bother saying it sometimes, you have to do a little digging.

Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 18.02.49.png

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1