Newish biker on CBT!

Hi everyone!

im new here so pardon me if my question is silly!

im 63 and yes, I took it up a little late but better late than never, eh!

i did my CBT almost 2 years ago and haven’t been able to find a slot where I live for my Theory test, apparently due to covid, people wanting to take tests have soared!

My CBT runs out in March so I’ve got to get my skates on in order to do the theory then mod 1 and 2.

But I’m so confused!!

I don’t really want to buy the latest Harley Davidson but just want a bike to pootle around on...max 300 or 400cc would be fine for me.

My question is: can I take the A1 or A2 test on my 125cc, as I’m familiar with it and don’t want to waste time getting used to a bigger bike, say a 600cc, to take the test on?

ive had conflicting advice as some said yes, I can take the practical tests in my 125 which will allow me to ride a bike of upto 500cc, which I’d be happy with.

but some people say no, if I take my practical tests on my 125, then I can only ride a 125 for life, unless I take new tests on a bigger bike! 

Who is right pls?

now u know why I’m confused and the March deadline is fast approaching...yikes!!

pls help! 🙏

Hey Cruiser, if you take your tests on the 125 you'll be limited to a 125. Just go the test on an A bike from the training centre and then you can pick and choose which you go and buy wihout having to worry if it can be limited down or not.

Get the theory and MOD tests booked otherwise you'll have to redo your CBT

Passing test on 125 allows you to ride a 125, if your not bothered about big bike you could stop at a2 which you can ride the following, but your going to have to do a1 first then a2 ithink

• You are restricted to a bike with a limit of 35kW or 47bhp
  • The power to weight ratio must be no more than 0.2kW or 0.26bhp per kilogram (more on this below)

Much easier just do das and you can ride what you like. 

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

Passing test on 125 allows you to ride a 125, if your not bothered about big bike you could stop at a2 which you can ride the following, but your going to have to do a1 first then a2 ithink

• The power to weight ratio must be no more than 0.2kW or 0.26bhp per kilogram (more on this below)

3 minutes ago, Bender said:

5 minutes ago, Fish said:

Hey Cruiser, if you take your tests on the 125 you'll be limited to a 125. Just go the test on an A bike from the training centre and then you can pick and choose which you go and buy wihout having to worry if it can be limited down or not.

Thank you for your swift response!

Yes that’s what I was afraid of!

i really am very comfortable riding my 125 now and feel nervous in learning all over again on a a2 bike...call it age related fear!

i will have to think about this seriously...do I really want to through nerve wracking tests at my age or is a 125 ample for me!! 

Appreciate your help very much!  

Nothing to be nervous about, the only stress that you get is what you put on yourself. 

Have a word with a good school, try an A2 bike and try what they use for das prob sv650,  the handling of the bike once moving is usually easier than the 125, bigger tyres more low down power and eminently more stable. 

9 minutes ago, Fish said:

Thank you very much!

i have a Honda 125 VT cruiser at the mo, and am happy with it!

Id be very happy with a 300 or 400cc bike all my life really.

im not into speeding on a fancy Speed bike nor would I like to go for a massive Harley or somesuch! 

Quite like the look of a Honda VRX 400 or a Yammie Virago 535! 

2 minutes ago, HondaCruiser said:

Thank you very much!

i have a Honda 125 VT cruiser at the mo, and am happy with it!

Id be very happy with a 300 or 400cc bike all my life really.

im not into speeding on a fancy Speed bike nor would I like to go for a massive Harley or somesuch! 

Quite like the look of a Honda VRX 400 or a Yammie Virago 535! 

I believe that virago is a2 

Give the das a go, won't be anything between doing that and a2. Then you have all the choice should you change your mind, plus there are lots if nice bikes in the 600-900 range perfect for cruising about on. The tests are annoying but eminently doable especially as you have a good bit of riding experience.

16 minutes ago, goat said:

Give the das a go, won't be anything between doing that and a2. Then you have all the choice should you change your mind, plus there are lots if nice bikes in the 600-900 range perfect for cruising about on. The tests are annoying but eminently doable especially as you have a good bit of riding experience.

Thank you very much for that confidence  booster!

im probably overreacting and am sure you’re right!

i felt exactly the same when I went for the CBT but sailed through it.

I’ve been practicing at a car park next my home when it’s empty, doing slaloms, figure 8 and U turns etc that will be required for the practical, and I feel I will be ok!

i guess ur right...if there’s no point doing the test for an A2, then why not go for the full A...after all, what’s the worst that can happen...a fail! 

On 09/01/2022 at 16:59, Bender said:

Nothing to be nervous about, the only stress that you get is what you put on yourself. 

Have a word with a good school, try an A2 bike and try what they use for das prob sv650,  the handling of the bike once moving is usually easier than the 125, bigger tyres more low down power and eminently more stable. 

👍👍

Edited by HondaCruiser
Nnn

I agree: find a school and have a go on a bigger bike before deciding.

Given you've only got a couple of months, you're tight for time given the short supply of test slots right now. Again, I'd suggest speaking to one or two local schools and explaining your situation.