Bike suggestions for mostly city with trips

Sphere

In the city daily, on the 70-limits few times a month. I'm looking for a sensible, practical model choice and cb500f seems to be the bar. I'm also alarmed by fuel prices and probably value mpg more than most riders - hence the honda on the shortlist

Any other strong contenders to consider? I guess I want a narrow bike which handles well in traffic but holds its own on A-roads

Edited by Sphere

What's your budget, licence held, does it need to be ulez compliant?

I'm basically looking for the same thing. 90% city riding with a bit or a road and motorway. Something narrow for nipping through traffic. I'd need something that doesn't get charged for London, so euro 3+ and under £4k so it's not something theives will desire 

Edited by daveinlim
  • Like 1

Two of my mates have the Honda NC750 and the CB300R. They are both very capable bikes. For city use and budget the 300 might save a few pennies. It will hold its own at 70mph and we regularly do 150 days out and he's happy on it. The NC750 was designed to be a frugal commuter and certainly does the job. 

• Like 1

For in town smaller the better. My old MT125 was great in and around traffic, cheap to run and insurance was a dream. I'd happily have gone for an MT03 if I wasn't using it for much further distances so got the Tracer 700. Being based on the MT07 it's still pretty light, decent enough on petrol and more than enough power for motorways. 

7 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

Hayabusa? 🤔

Suggested in jest no doubt. But even if I was in the market for something of that ilk I would not buy one because of the name. Some names given to bikes and cars just irritate me. They are either silly or pompous. 

When someone asks what do you ride / drive I wouldn't want to feel like a nob telling them.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Suggested in jest no doubt. But even if I was in the market for something of that ilk I would not buy one because of the name. Some names given to bikes and cars just irritate me. They are either silly or pompous. 

When someone asks what do you ride / drive I wouldn't want to feel like a nob telling them.

But in this case it’s both amusing and educational. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

How about a Dodge Ram or Ford Probe? Nowt worse than getting probed 😳

• Haha 1