What is this gasket called?

rBennerZ

9 minutes ago, rBennerZ said:

What is the gasket that goes in between the cylinder head? 4stroke 125. Driving me crazy 😑

A rocker gasket, or used to be, probably a cam gasket nowadays

Edited by Yorky
  • Thanks 1

Looked at CMSNL. Suzuki GS 125. Doesn’t seem to be a gasket at that location!

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs125-1982-z-general-export-united-kingdom-e01-e02_model13415/partslist/FIG1.html#.YeaubIGnyhA

might not be the exact model but all the 125’s seem the same top end.

Edited by JRH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @rBennerZ, A lot of the old Honda's and Suzuki's, which your engine is based on never had gaskets between the Head and Rocker Cover, you just put either a small smear of gasket paste, or you never bothered.

Hence you can't find the Gasket, was there a gasket on engine when you took it apart?? Probably never had one!

And don't be tempted to make one! you could end up doing damage!!

Edited by oldgrump
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks. I haven’t pulled the cylinder head off just yet. I just thought I would get all parts ready for when I do. Thanks for that everyone.. pulling my hair out lol… if it does have a gasket which I presume it won’t. I’ll just use the old one with gasket sealer. Thanks for the help it’s much appreciated 😊

• Like 2

I seriously doubt that there would be no gasket . Usually tappet / valve / cam cover gaskets are made of neoprene ( Rubber ) and are reusable . 

54 minutes ago, iangaryprice said:

The "cam cover" on many bikes does not have a gasket, it will require sealant on the surface whne refitting.

If the rocker shafts are in the cover then a gasket would allow too much variation affecting the valve gaps.

Ok that may be the case but all my big Suzuki's , the ER5 , the Harley , all CG 125s , Benleys , even the 3TA that I built last year have a Rocker Box gasket or gaskets . 

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

Ok that may be the case but all my big Suzuki's , the ER5 , the Harley , all CG 125s , Benleys , even the 3TA that I built last year have a Rocker Box gasket or gaskets . 

If you look at the link above for GS125 parts, the cam cover on this engine is also the top half of the bearing for the camshaft. When if forms part of the bearing like this you can't have a gasket, it must be metal to metal to get an exact sized and round hole for the camshaft.

My daughters YBR125 and my CB250RS were like this as well, no gasket.

My Suzuki CBX550, GSX600, the cover is just a cover and it has a seal, the cams are held in by caps inside the cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iangaryprice said:

If you look at the link above for GS125 parts, the cam cover on this engine is also the top half of the bearing for the camshaft. When if forms part of the bearing like this you can't have a gasket, it must be metal to metal to get an exact sized and round hole for the camshaft.

My daughters YBR125 and my CB250RS were like this as well, no gasket.

My Suzuki CBX550, GSX600, the cover is just a cover and it has a seal, the cams are held in by caps inside the cover.

Fair enough , I know what you mean . Like the old G5 Hondas , the destroyer of many a would-be Biker's dreams . 

1 hour ago, iangaryprice said:

Hence why I said in my earlier post,  And don't be tempted to make a gasket, you could end up doing more damage!!

The amount of small engines I have had where guys make a gasket out of a cereal packet!!! Then wonder why the engine sounds like a bag of nails!! Because like @iangaryprice say's it's where the cam runs, and it's a machined fit.

• Like 1