Bike slipped at 60mph

techniques

12 hours ago, Pbassred said:

The idea of which brake to use is one of those things that doesn't get taught.  

I'd go one step further and say, when learning, they push the rear brake a lot more than the front! For slow manoeuvres, yes, okay, it helps with bike handling - but rear brake was so drilled into me that I used it as the main brake over the course of riding my 125cc. 

My SV650 lost the back wheel the couple of times I had to emergency brake. They were definitely "brown stage" moments and it wasn't great braking as I had lost traction and  I was sliding. That quickly put a stop to me relying on the back brake so much.

My Gixxer front brakes are so damn powerful, I don't touch my rear brakes anymore. The couples of times I have, this winter, on slipppery roads, the back immediately wants to go. 

My braking is 95% front brake these days... Even when practising my emergency braking, which is something I do on every ride as to build the muscle memory of progressive braking, I don't touch the rear brake except when in slow moving traffic, making turns etc.

Edited by techniques

14 hours ago, Pbassred said:

The most anoying thing about Dan Dan the fireman is the he has a never ending supply of videos to talk through.

The idea of which brake to use is one of those things that doesn't get taught.  Even in my Mod1 I had a minor rear lock-up on the emergengy stop because no one told me how lightly to use it.  The harder I need to brake, the less weight I will have on the rear.  Now my rule is simple: I do not use the rear brake above 30MPH ... EVER!

I sold my GSXR 1100 at 43,000 miles with as much meat on the rear pads as the day it left the factory . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never consciously used the rear brake on my Pan European so was surprised that when the pads were first changed that the rears were worn more than the fronts. The linked braking system obviously worked. 

• Like 1

I am going to confess that I believe the rear pads in my 2004 ZRX are the ones that were in it when I bought it new.

I so rarely use the rear brake that if I want to it has to be a concious decision.

Cheers

Ian

Bike slipped at 60mph”

Should of been down in south last Friday with Storm Unice you could of claimed a slip at 120mph…

Actually far play to my nephew he got sent home from work early on a 125cc (in the worst of it) “because he was on a bike”.
 He watched a Sainsbury’s delivery van park itself in a tree on his way home, checked the driver was ok and got home shiny side up
👏

His comment “that was not fun”…

• Like 2