New Rider Considering Buying a Honda CB125F

Matt88

Hi everyone, I passed my CBT a few weeks ago and was considering buying a new Honda CB125F for £3000, I was just wondering if this would be a good choice of first bike and if it would be as reliable as an older Honda 125 like a CG or if there's any Yamaha / Suzuki that would be a better choice, my main concern would be the electronics being over complicated with sensors and it being expensive to repair if something went wrong, the insurance is dear too. I enjoy doing my own maintenance and servicing on my car, so wouldn't mind a bike that needed a little bit of work for £1000 either, just can't seem to make up my mind, any advice would be great, can't seem to find anything semi vintage in good condition in my area (Leicestershire), any advice or help would be great, really appreciate you reading my post.

Matt

11 hours ago, Bender said:

I would be looking at a good used cbf, it will hold its value and you should get pretty much what you paid for it come bigger bike time 😁 

As he says most who like bikes don’t stay on a 125 for long. Also insurance will be cheaper.

Also being your first bike there is good chance you will drop it. Riders seem to find new imaginative ways of doing this.  Forgetting side stand being a classic.

I had a new cb125f as my first bike. Did the job well. Changed to a used Suzuki gsxs125 after a truck driver decided to reverse over my Honda one day. 

I bought new as I knew very little about bikes so I figured at least new I wouldn't be buying a dud. However make a few sensible checks and buying is relatively straightforward. Also depreciation on used 125cc bikes is minimal. 

The Suzuki is a much better bike than the Honda. More power, better brakes, abs, led lights etc. 

Buying secondhand from a dealer would save in depreciation compared to new and you'd still have the safety of buying from a business than an individual. 

You'll struggle for "vintage" on a 125 as eventually they all end up on their sides. 

• Like 1