New to motorbikes, need some help/advice!!

DevilsReject

Hi there, complete novice to motorbikes, did my cbt a week back, got myself a Bullit Hunt S 125, only been on it a handful of times since in my village practicing to get my clutch game to 100%. Last night I was practicing downshifting in a car park, was going great until i did a u-turn and mid turn the front wheel just stopped and skidded out asif someone had put my brake on hard, without me even touching the front brake. Obviously I came off but luckily didn't hurt myself and had to get the bike up, then it wouldn't even start. Hasn't started since last night when it happened. All wires/cables etc been checked over by a guy I walked past on the way home pushing it who happens to be a fellow biker, but he couldn't pin down what could be wrong. It's weird because the starter button just keeps making the noise asif it's trying and eventually not even making any noise, but the lights all are on fine so can't be the battery. And with the front brake being a separate problem that's something that needs to get sorted, if these issues can be fixed. Is there anyone out there that's heard of this or has had the same problems? 

(I already know its chinese so I'd rather avoid the silly comments about that) 

Thanks 

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Reason the bike doesn't want to start could be that the spark plug(s) have been fouled with oil after it was dropped. It's worth taking them out and having a look.

Daft as it sounds its worth checking you haven't run out of fuel, we've all been there and done that at one time or another :lol:

5 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Reason the bike doesn't want to start could be that the spark plug(s) have been fouled with oil after it was dropped. It's worth taking them out and having a look.

Daft as it sounds its worth checking you haven't run out of fuel, we've all been there and done that at one time or another :lol:

Cheers for the reply. Ahh right yes of course, I'll look into the spark plugs. The fuel is definitely there, I'd not long mostly filled it but I totally get how that could be an easy mistake! As for the front brake randomly doing that, any suggestions? 

Thanks 

50 minutes ago, DevilsReject said:

Cheers for the reply. Ahh right yes of course, I'll look into the spark plugs. The fuel is definitely there, I'd not long mostly filled it but I totally get how that could be an easy mistake! As for the front brake randomly doing that, any suggestions? 

Thanks 

It quite possibly wasn't the front brake. 

You say you were practicing clutch control?

If you're feathering it during a u turn and released suddenly when the wheels cocked it could easily skid out?

Stick with it

What Neil has said is very possible. When I was a new car driver I once went from 2nd to 1st (wanting 3rd) and completely locked up like I had slammed the brakes on :oops:

10 minutes ago, NeilM said:

It quite possibly wasn't the front brake. 

You say you were practicing clutch control?

If you're feathering it during a u turn and released suddenly when the wheels cocked it could easily skid out?

Stick with it

At this point I was just in first, not on the clutch or brake at all, that's what confused as to why it happened buddy. 

As tiggie said take a look at the sprk plug, I HD the bullit 250 a few years ago there's not a great deal to go wrong with them, check the lead when you look at the spark plug they are shite quality I swapped mine out as it was arcing off the engine. I did stick an iridium plug in too and it did run a bit better with that. 

3 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

As tiggie said take a look at the sprk plug, I HD the bullit 250 a few years ago there's not a great deal to go wrong with them, check the lead when you look at the spark plug they are shite quality I swapped mine out as it was arcing off the engine. I did stick an iridium plug in too and it did run a bit better with that. 

Cheers bud, going to look into the spark plug. Then to figure out why the front brake randomly siezed 

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if the brake just randomly applied but anything is possible. Does the front run freely, if you have a centre stand give it a go. Agai the front caliper comes off easily for a quick clean etc. Just check it's all pinched up on the caliper bolts 

• Like 1

Did you check for gravel or anything that might have caused the front wheel to slip? Even a crisp packet can tip a bike when doing slow speed turns. 

Give your battery a charge. The fact that the lights come on doesn't mean the battery has sufficient charge to crank the engine. 

10 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Did you check for gravel or anything that might have caused the front wheel to slip? Even a crisp packet can tip a bike when doing slow speed turns. 

Give your battery a charge. The fact that the lights come on doesn't mean the battery has sufficient charge to crank the engine. 

First thing I did, Checked everything there, not a stone or litter in sight. Gonna charge the battery and check the spark plugs as I've got a feeling they've flooded when it's gone over. Cheers for the reply though. 

I would charge the battery anyway, if you’ve been spinning the starter motor it will have reduced the charge in the battery and charging it is an easy one.

if bike was on its side any reluctance to start is most likely fuel rather than sparks.

then the usual path is to check there is fuel in tank and that any taps are on. Remove spark plug(s) and make sure they are not sooted up. If you suspect motor was flooded with fuel, you can open throttle wide and spin motor a few times with throttle wide open whilst plug(s) are removed, or just have a cup of tea and leave bike standing with plugs removed.  Then check for a spark by putting plug into its cap and touch the plug to engine case and spin the motor, looking for a spark. 

Front locking up - you want to get that checked out before using out on road. Could be something related to how you were riding at time, but definitely establish there’s nothing amiss with front wheel and brakes before taking on road.

Edited by Essem
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Essem said:

I would charge the battery anyway, if you’ve been spinning the starter motor it will have reduced the charge in the battery and charging it is an easy one.

if bike was on its side any reluctance to start is most likely fuel rather than sparks.

then the usual path is to check there is fuel in tank and that any taps are on. Remove spark plug(s) and make sure they are not sooted up. If you suspect motor was flooded with fuel, you can open throttle wide and spin motor a few times with throttle wide open whilst plug(s) are removed, or just have a cup of tea and leave bike standing with plugs removed.  Then check for a spark by putting plug into its cap and touch the plug to engine case and spin the motor, looking for a spark. 

Front locking up - you want to get that checked out before using out on road. Could be something related to how you were riding at time, but definitely establish there’s nothing amiss with front wheel and brakes before taking on road.

Thanks for the reply, going to check all this out.