50cc direct bike

muddycrox

I have a 50cc direct bike that looks like its been in a collision. Purchased very cheap and has been worked on so mechanically its sound. The bodywork is not. Is it possible to get plastics that would fit on it without having it to be the same make and model or would i need to find the exact same bike,  this would render the bike not fixable as finding a bike with the same body would not be financially sound. Thanks.

there are loads of direct bikes about so finding body should be easy, but most look nasty cos people dont look after them.

also the power commander thing you plug in does give a little boost in speed, step son has one.

been all over the usual cant find any direct bike for parts, if u do come across can u let me know.

Also wanted to ask considering the body work is quite bad but will holding it strongly with cable tidy be ok for mot ? thanks

9 hours ago, muddycrox said:

been all over the usual cant find any direct bike for parts, if u do come across can u let me know.

Also wanted to ask considering the body work is quite bad but will holding it strongly with cable tidy be ok for mot ? thanks

did you google direct bikes parts as I found loads on ebay and internet. brake calipers etc. just done my stepsons tyre and rear brake

iv searched in ebay and a few other sites. im after mainly the indicator plastics. the body iv managed to plastic mould everything in place. The indicator boxes are the only things i need. But can i tap on your exprience and could you hazard a guess as to why the front lights and back lights wont work. All indicators work and there is a very faint orange glow on the front headlights but no lights. All wiring has been checked and cleaned. Put new rectifier and a new ballast resistor , any ideas ? thanks.

Edited by muddycrox

On 23/06/2022 at 17:50, muddycrox said:

iv searched in ebay and a few other sites. im after mainly the indicator plastics. the body iv managed to plastic mould everything in place. The indicator boxes are the only things i need. But can i tap on your exprience and could you hazard a guess as to why the front lights and back lights wont work. All indicators work and there is a very faint orange glow on the front headlights but no lights. All wiring has been checked and cleaned. Put new rectifier and a new ballast resistor , any ideas ? thanks.

Sounds like a bad earth. Try making an additional earth connection and see if that solves it.

6 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Sounds like a bad earth. Try making an additional earth connection and see if that solves it.

hi, how would i go about that. Iv checked all the connections, cleaned them, checked all bulbs. All i get is a every so faint glow in the front light bulb s which fade away slowly. All the indicators work fine.

6 hours ago, muddycrox said:

hi, how would i go about that. Iv checked all the connections, cleaned them, checked all bulbs. All i get is a every so faint glow in the front light bulb s which fade away slowly. All the indicators work fine.

The bulb holder has part of it which is the earth side. Run a wire from that to a clean and solid contact on the frame. 

10 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The bulb holder has part of it which is the earth side. Run a wire from that to a clean and solid contact on the frame. 

so ive checked the earth to all the bulbs all of them are grounded, and the connection is fine. Now what i did, before switching on, checked battery, said 12.34v. Started the moped and checked again while running, said 12.20v. Its got to be the stator as its not even charging the battery. All 3 bulbs which i assume are powered by the stator arnt working. I have no way to check the stator but spark and all else is fine. could this be it ?

Edited by muddycrox

5 minutes ago, muddycrox said:

so ive checked the earth to all the bulbs all of them are grounded, and the connection is fine. Now what i did, before switching on, checked battery, said 12.34v. Started the moped and checked again while running, said 12.20v. Its got to be the stator as its not even charging the battery. All 3 bulbs which i assume are powered by the stator arnt working. I have no way to check the stator but spark and all else is fine. could this be it ?

You should be getting at least 13.5v so you could be on the right track there.

37 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

You should be getting at least 13.5v so you could be on the right track there.

so iv just checked it again and while i put the multimeter on pole battery poles i also rev the engine not a slight bit of change. Would you know how to test the stator or at least the wires goint out to the lights.

its a 4 pin stator colours are

1 red black single wire

2 blue yellow single wire

3 a block connector contain a single yellow and a single white.

if u need any more info let me know. But at this point its all that it could be. The is no short. Can i also ask does the engine have to be started in order for the lights to work and how do i figure out if the power enters from stator or direct battery. thanks

In most cases lights are powered by the battery, and the stator runs ignition and recharges the battery via a regulator/rectifier. Unfortunately in your case I am uncertain how you could check the stator, as all the ones I have worked with have just three yellow wires as output. 

Does your bike have a reg/rec? If so take a voltage reading from either side, (input/output). stators can put out up to 14.7 volt, and a functioning reg/reg should reduce this to about 13.5 to 14.2 to the battery. 

With engine running and all lights on stator output should read about 14. 2 volts at around 4000rpm 

20 hours ago, billy sugger said:

In most cases lights are powered by the battery, and the stator runs ignition and recharges the battery via a regulator/rectifier. Unfortunately in your case I am uncertain how you could check the stator, as all the ones I have worked with have just three yellow wires as output. 

Does your bike have a reg/rec? If so take a voltage reading from either side, (input/output). stators can put out up to 14.7 volt, and a functioning reg/reg should reduce this to about 13.5 to 14.2 to the battery. 

With engine running and all lights on stator output should read about 14. 2 volts at around 4000rpm 

hi so ive spent nearly the whole day on the moped and havnt got the lights to work or battery to charge. I dont know also how to check if the lights are driven by the stator but this is the checking iv done so far.

Ive only checked the yellow and white wire coming out of the stator, the yellow one shows 28v and the white shows 33v but numbers are rapidly changing when throttle applied as expected, done by the multimeter on ac 200 mode. The other wires when disconnected provides no spark but once connected the moped fires up straight away.

I check the wire running from the stator to the rectifier and this is what i get, red wire shows same as battery at 12.34v at dc mode. Then on ac mode the yellow wire shows

3.7v, the white wire shows around 6.6v and green is grounded. Is there a short or something somewhere.. The battery isnt chargin in the slightest when checked as it shows the same current as when switched off. Everything else is working apart from front, back and reg light. Everything is making connection and grounded proper. Doe anyone know what else i could try ?

A little note so there is also a ballast Resistor connected with one wire going to it and there are 2 loose single black and single red wire which appear to go nowhere.