Z1000sx fine tuning suspension

jedibiker

After a week with this bike its safe to say its wonderful compared to a bandit.. (well yeah)

im trying to fine tune the suspension and may still got to Parkitt tuning, but i notice when shutting off the throttle it feels to dive, now id normally adjust preload for this assuming fork oil is correct,

but with this having compression damping as well, im not sure what to adjust first OR is it normal for a bike with more punch to lift more when power added.

Ive got it at stock damping, 1.5 extra turns on preload from stock and compression at stock..

im 17st ish.

Your gonna say its worth the £50-75 to get it set correct thought arnt ya? lol

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

Will the dealers not assist when I had my tracer the dealer set the suspension up for me gratis to suit my needs and did a good job

I had it sent up from Dartford buddy, so prob not, you got very good service if they did that for you

I would have a look in the handbook and put the suspension back to factory settings. 

It may already be at factory settings but at least you’ll know and you can then take it from there. 
Look into setting your static sag up after that. Loads of info online. 
Once you’ve got that set up just change one thing at a time.

Go to extremes fist off and see if you can work out what the change made the bike do. 
Suspension is a black art but it’s fun learning what each adjustment does. 

3 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

I would have a look in the handbook and put the suspension back to factory settings. 

It may already be at factory settings but at least you’ll know and you can then take it from there. 
Look into setting your static sag up after that. Loads of info online. 
Once you’ve got that set up just change one thing at a time.

Go to extremes fist off and see if you can work out what the change made the bike do. 
Suspension is a black art but it’s fun learning what each adjustment does. 

:stupid:

This is the way to go and make a note of each change and what it did and how the bike felt so you can go back 

cheers guys, i did mention i had it at stock and changed a little bit,

could never get sag right on old bike but will with this but may just take it to parkitt and let a pro do it.

the dive thing I thought would be a clue to someone about where to look first from stock set up

The dive is definately pre load as you have correctly identified. The best way to make sure you have the preload  set right is to put a tie wrap on one fork leg (the inner part) as in the pic.

1951263246_2022-06-2410_38_07-d22c9444-9f23-4a19-afce-8afad162c244_fit_600x600-Paint.thumb.jpg.e7b8ca3e5be2433a569ac699e5a44509.jpg
Go out and do a few emergency stops then check where the tie wrap is sitting. It should ideally be about an inch from the bottom of the available travel. If it's lower than that, then add more preload and vice versa.

Basically you don't want so little preload on that your forks to bottom out.

It may be just a case that you need to get used to the bike.

Suspention setup is always a compromise as every road is different. Unless you have a bike with electronic active suspention, but even then some road can test these.

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

The dive isn't always down to preload! 

It will be on the compression damping! it needs to slow things down a bit so it doesn't dive as quick 

If you wind all the damping off then the spring will just bounce about like a pogo stick as they say! 

There will be nothing to slow it down and stabilise it 

You set the sag then you use the rebound and compression adjusters to get the ride you require 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

The dive is definately pre load as you have correctly identified. The best way to make sure you have the preload  set right is to put a tie wrap on one fork leg (the inner part) as in the pic.

1951263246_2022-06-2410_38_07-d22c9444-9f23-4a19-afce-8afad162c244_fit_600x600-Paint.thumb.jpg.e7b8ca3e5be2433a569ac699e5a44509.jpg
Go out and do a few emergency stops then check where the tie wrap is sitting. It should ideally be about an inch from the bottom of the available travel. If it's lower than that, then add more preload and vice versa.

Basically you don't want so little preload on that your forks to bottom out.

It may be just a case that you need to get used to the bike.

Suspention setup is always a compromise as every road is different. Unless you have a bike with electronic active suspention, but even then some road can test these.

Always have a tie wrap on as a guide and it doesnt sit too bad but Ive not fully loaded it but have braked hard ish. I think on these bottom out is 20mm so you want to be 20 mm above that at worst. im going out today so going to had a small amount of preload and a 1/4 turn of compression.

1 hour ago, jedibiker said:

Always have a tie wrap on as a guide and it doesnt sit too bad but Ive not fully loaded it but have braked hard ish. I think on these bottom out is 20mm so you want to be 20 mm above that at worst. im going out today so going to had a small amount of preload and a 1/4 turn of compression.

Just remember the aim isn't to test it at hard braking it's should all be measured on normal riding for yourself 

• Like 1