Garmin zūmo XT GPS Review

Admin

I was fortunate to be able to go on a 15 day tour in Europe a couple of months ago and what became an essential part of our adventure was the zūmo XT SatNav from Garmin.

You can find out how I got on with it here:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/garmin-zumo-xt-gps-review/

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/

tournai.jpg

The post Garmin zūmo XT GPS Review appeared first on BikerKaz.

View the full article

I just use the wi-fi. so no wired connection needed.

I actually use the wi-fi hotspot provided by my phone.. which is my source for the house. I don't have any physical internet coming into my house. the phone is providing the connection for the computer I'm using right now. Here is my unit sitting on the desk. not connected to anything, checking for an update. Can just as easily do the same on the bike, while the unit is in its cradle and the phone is in my pocket.

IMG_0992.thumb.jpg.116a00a6a5ea8eeaa2c3e676771b2b1a.jpg

10 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I actually use the wi-fi hotspot provided by my phone.. which is my source for the house. I don't have any physical internet coming into my house. the phone is providing the connection for the computer I'm using right now.

@Gerontious, that is interesting to me as it's an idea that I have often considered but can't work out the details for.

Do you find it financially beneficial??

Do you have enough allowance for your usage, presumably that's a yes.

What happens if you're not at home and the wife wants to use the computer??

As it happens my broadband contract expires in September so it's time to start considering the options again. My mobile is only on a monthly contract so that could be updated anytime.

4 minutes ago, Yorky said:

@Gerontious, that is interesting to me as it's an idea that I have often considered but can't work out the details for.

Do you find it financially beneficial??

Do you have enough allowance for your usage, presumably that's a yes.

What happens if you're not at home and the wife wants to use the computer??

As it happens my broadband contract expires in September so it's time to start considering the options again. My mobile is only on a monthly contract so that could be updated anytime.

I was with Virgin Media. They were all set to increase my monthly payment to £48 (I think) this for internet and landline phone. I never used the phone. It was just there for emergencies. I tried to get them to disconnect it but was told that this action would increase my monthly charge even further. Someone I trust suggested I get a phone and use that as a wifi hotspot. my first 'smart phone' in 2018. n iPhone SE. It works very well.

I have a monthly contract with 3. unlimited everything that costs me £22 per month sim only. and this is a speed test run now. 09:15 (image)

IMG_0993.thumb.PNG.0509b29fbf6a6168a644ab4aef8fe1ce.PNG

They also offer it as a base station, so no need to use a phone.  But, it depends on whether you have 4 or 5G coverage in your locale.  use the postcode checker. https://www.three.co.uk/store/broadband/home-broadband

@Gerontious

Thanks for the reply.

At the moment I am paying £28.00 per month for unlimited data with TalkTalk, like you we do not use the landline phone, plus we pay £6.00 each with Plusnet for 2 mobile contracts, so a total outlay of £40 per month.

Unfortunately Plusnet will not offer an unlimited data deal, their best at the moment is 50GB for £15.00. On that basis I could get 100GB for £30.00.

I like the idea of not having landline connections but am concerned regarding the data usage situation. Obviously both mobiles would need to be able to be used as a hotspot for when we are home at different times.

I would never try and update maps while on a trip!

I also prefer to update over the pc as it has to e plugged in anyway but there has been a few stories of updates going wrong and making the zumo unusable! And requiring a factory reset and an update via garmin express to fix it! Which is not ideal when away on a trip 

Used my Zumo today (first proper usage of it) for a trip from London to Poole. The main gripe is the amount of false speed camera alerts, otherwise quite happy with it.

The real test will be at the end of September for a trip to Spain

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fish said:

Used my Zumo today (first proper usage of it) for a trip from London to Poole. The main gripe is the amount of false speed camera alerts, otherwise quite happy with it.

The real test will be at the end of September for a trip to Spain

Hi @Fish what route are you taking to Spain ?

We are heading from Calais to Limoges on the 23rd and on to Orlonzac the following day if you fancy some company ?

Cheers

Ian

@Ian Frog we'll also be heading down from Calais (eurostar) aiming to reach either Nantes or Poitiers for the first night stop. The second day will be heading down towards Pamplona.

We start our trip on the 28th, but we still need to sit down and have a chat about the first couple of days and the return trip. We both fancy stopping at Le Mans for a look around.

The days inbetween we'll make up as to how we're feeling. Fancy a ride, go for a ride. Fancy a day off, go find a nice city to look around and stretch our legs.

On 26/08/2022 at 19:54, Fish said:

The main gripe is the amount of false speed camera alerts, otherwise quite happy with it.

If you where in in Dorset, they not of been.  I live 22 miles from Poole Quay, I won't go to the bike night.

Last time I counted it was 12 speed cameras in 22 miles.  There mobile vans can be quite active as well changing locations frequently.