Eifel Mountains 2022

Bungleaio

I did a thread for a trip to the Eifel Mountains back in 2018 which seemed to go down well - https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/topic/30605-eifel-mountains-2018/

Is there any appetite for a 2022 version? I'm going on my own this time rather than being six of us and I'll be doing a couple of days on in The netherlands on the way there and a day in France on the way back.

If people are interested I'll post some updates.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

Everyone likes a progress report of a tour with loads of pics 

Seems like people are interested so I'll put something up. I didn't think people would be that into it with it just being me going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

interested in  hotels .. location .. price .. value for money ... and parking ,,, both ease of use , security and price ...  

we use one hotel. There would be uproar if I ever suggested anywhere else. Despite the fact it’s impossible for me to be going this time. It’s quite telling that the guys are going to the exact same hotel.

https://www.schlosshotel-neuerburg.de/en/

price is circa €50 per night half board inc. single supplement. and that’s for an airy double room. En suite. Generous German style breakfast. And 3 course home style evening meal.

location is the outskirts of the large village of Neuerburg. In the western Eifel. 12 miles from Vianden Luxembourg. So, convenient for northern Luxembourg. Belgian Ardennes. Eifel National park. Mosel valley. Hunsruck. The Nurburgring and Rhine Gorge are couple of hours ride distant.

parking. The hotel has a secure garage, which we don’t use. There’s no need to. We use the parking opposite the hotel which is overlooked from the balconies and don’t worry about it.

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

are going to the exact same hotel.

https://www.schlosshotel-neuerburg.de/en/

yes .. i remember we seem to have had this "conversation " before .... i do recognise the web.site and did book mark the hotel ...quite some time ago iirc..  i do like the area ..  cochem in particular ... 

Edited by Copycat73

This time tomorrow the adventure should be well underway and the bike should be safely strapped onto a ferry and I'll be in the bar.

The first leg is to go to Arnhem so I'll be crossing from Hawich to the Hook of Holland and making my way across the country having a look at some windmills on the way. I've got two nights in Arhem so that I can have a look around before heading south to meet up with @bonio.

The bike is packed up and ready to go so as soon as I finish work tomorrow I can get straight on it and head to the ferry.

Started packing today so I can faff about tyres and chain oil tomorrow and ready to set off for the tunnel on Saturday morning.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bonio said:

Started packing today so I can faff about tyres and chain oil tomorrow and ready to set off for the tunnel on Saturday morning.

Hey, I'm on the tunnel saturday, have you got a time in mind. I'm on a beat up busa my mates on a triumph 900

I'm booked on the 14:50. I'd wear a carnation for you, but I'll be the only guy there on an MV Agusta TV.

I'll keep an eye out for the pair of you.

Valenciennes the first night, then Neuerburg, near Bitburg for the rest of the week. You travelling around or staying in one place?

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1

That out of office notice is on, the laptop is shut and the bike is out of the garage. 

I headed down to Harwich straight after work and covered a fairly mundane 160 miles mostly on the A14, 55 junctions I covered. It was livened up by a massive diesel spillage over a couple of miles near Kettering, it was about a foot wide in lane 2 or 3 depending on which was the "fast Lane". I kept away from it and stuck to the inside Lane until I saw a BMW 3 series with its bonnet up and a diesel line directly to it. 

I used waze to navitage to Harwich and for some reason it decided a very narrow single track road with a load of gravel in the middle was in order, it was about a mile long and thankfully nothing came the opposite way. 

F28D7952-68A9-42FD-9D63-8F51E82FFEDB.thumb.jpeg.17a296437789ae6957843803a74e4155.jpeg

I arrived in harwich for just after 8 and got on the ship for about 9. In the bar for 9.45. I've never strapped my bike down before so fingers crossed it will still be standing tomorrow. If not I'll pick it up and carry on. 

A6117731-611F-43E8-81B1-D564EDEE1E58.thumb.jpeg.2281ab086dad0afad9aba8c2c9a17ccd.jpeg54713ABC-F104-4F68-9D87-1CE394E86811.thumb.jpeg.3f537a599ad3dc9bd982b598b8be6c75.jpegC646235D-3F52-4326-AFEF-BC4CF6542CAC.thumb.jpeg.6ea92d303bac32d1fc3a19196a6f98fe.jpeg

The tunnel is certainly quicker and a lot more simple but the ferry cost me £120 so I figured that was cheaper than a hotel and the tunnel at either end,plus I'll be in the Netherlands ready to go first thing in the morning. 

Roll on tomorrow for windmills

• Like 5

On 02/09/2022 at 10:38, bonio said:

I'm booked on the 14:50. I'd wear a carnation for you, but I'll be the only guy there on an MV Agusta TV.

I'll keep an eye out for the pair of you.

Valenciennes the first night, then Neuerburg, near Bitburg for the rest of the week. You travelling around or staying in one place?

We are here 

See my real-time location on Maps: https://maps.app.goo.gl/HnNbPDLQt175VKph6

& going to here 

49°52'15.6"N 6°09'34.4"E
https://goo.gl/maps/X9WKqeGNPxw9obKB9

On 01/09/2022 at 23:20, bonio said:

Hey, I'm on the tunnel saturday, have you got a time in mind. I'm on a beat up busa my mates on a triumph 900

I’m just getting ready to go to work and am definitely not jealous. Not a bit. Not even close. Who wants to be in an empty biker paradise when I could be going to work at a place I’ve grown to despise. I mean. Really.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Apologies for the photos being upside down. I will sort this when I'm home. If I don't put them in now then I'll forget what I'm on about. 

The sun's going down so I guess that's pretty much the end of Saturday. 

The ferry was very smooth last night, didn't really know we were moving apart from a slight sway. I enjoy cruising though so I might be less sensitive to it. 

I also got to see a fantastic sunrise. 

341B7507-2392-497E-9FC4-66DC2FEB95E6.jpeg.faa69419bc3180f9c14ac6d182480751.jpeg

The inside cabin did the job for what I needed and I slept well. I was rudely awoken by the tannoy announcing the breakfast being available at 5:30 though. I think it was 5:30, it was early I know that. Last orders are at 6.30. The clocks get put forward an hour at that time and we got off just after 8. Customs was easy and at no point has anyone asked me about covid jabs. 

I'd had breakfast on the ship and filled up with fuel at Morrisons in harwich so I got straight on with the trip to Arnhem. 

I've not been on the continent for a while but it soon comes back. Cyclists going the wrong way around roundabouts took me a little by suprise though. 

The journey was relatively uneventful just smooth and mostly straight roads. I stopped to look at the windmills at Werelderfgoed Kinderdijk. The parking attendant let me park with the push bikes as I wasn't staying long. 

246670B4-8528-4C95-A07C-8AF689CDF24F.jpeg.a527dc9be855ab29a3e77fae7005be54.jpeg

I stopped to take a photo in one village and a van just stopped in the road to check I was OK. He stopped to chat bikes for a few minutes much to the annoyance of all the cars behind him. 

6E1B1673-1EBA-43E1-B77C-7788D28C74FF.thumb.jpeg.f8abeb2e3041e702fdbc09b0e5f6cd5d.jpeg

The Dutch are used to bikes though and not a single person pulled out on me. I wish that was the case at home. The roads have also been very quiet

551D4A4C-308A-4733-80B5-5DFF1005B65C.jpeg.1f47d4bf209d696deab39d27768103e0.jpeg

I checked into the hotel and they also said I would have to pay to use the garage provided I tucked it into the corner 

E60AB958-A57D-468B-9B0F-33B02DC61250.jpeg.de18311ea8507c8c820f19c56babbcf0.jpeg

This afternoon has involved having a few beers and a wander around Arnham.i also got to see the sun go down.

35A4F71F-64D4-4D17-8D98-4260C12C53F6.jpeg.f11e0a668374409b230eb8a81b7ce61d.jpeg

A8E8CC33-AA9D-4EDD-B603-0FFE950C1A9B.jpeg.2465dc5319b99c583a531a3d995cf365.jpeg

F8490003-62DE-4E2F-A1E0-7D0F7C7A28A0.jpeg.5bd4962356c5cfbb6731317bb6a321ea.jpeg

• Like 7

Set off this morning. The A12, M25 and M20 make dull old roads to the tunnel but the motorways get the miles done. Got put on the train an hour earlier than booked which was nice. I think it was half empty; the carriage in front of ours hadn't anything in it. In Calais I fuelled up and then cross country on some really great roads. Bit of a turn up for Northern France. Eventually took to the autoroute to complete the journey to Valenciennes. Got lost, did a u turn and nearly dropped it! I heard myself say, 'keep it up!' and somehow I did. 😁. Must've been getting tired.

The ibis hotel is great, comfortable, and near loads places to eat.

But the big news is I've lost my passport. Already! I am such a klutz, not really for to travel on my own. I stuck all my documents in a fancy wallet MV provided with the bike. All gone. Last I saw them for sure was when I put them in the taiil bag after going through passport control at Folkestone. I can remember zipping the bag up. Either I took them out and left them absent mindedly on the train or else they were half inched at the petrol stop in Calais. I prefer the Calais story as it lets me off the hook, but tbh it's not that likely.

20220903_131429.jpg

20220903_160117.jpg

20220903_160135.jpg

20220903_192900.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bonio said:

Set off this morning. The A12, M25 and M20 make dull old roads to the tunnel but the motorways get the miles done. Got put on the train an hour earlier than booked which was nice. I think it was half empty; the carriage in front of ours hadn't anything in it. In Calais I fuelled up and then cross country on some really great roads. Bit of a turn up for Northern France. Eventually took to the autoroute to complete the journey to Valenciennes. Got lost, did a u turn and nearly dropped it! I heard myself say, 'keep it up!' and somehow I did. 😁. Must've been getting tired.

The ibis hotel is great, comfortable, and near loads places to eat.

But the big news is I've lost my passport. Already! I am such a klutz, not really for to travel on my own. I stuck all my documents in a fancy wallet MV provided with the bike. All gone. Last I saw them for sure was when I put them in the taiil bag after going through passport control at Folkestone. I can remember zipping the bag up. Either I took them out and left them absent mindedly on the train or else they were half inched at the petrol stop in Calais. I prefer the Calais story as it lets me off the hook, but tbh it's not that likely.

20220903_131429.jpg

20220903_160117.jpg

20220903_160135.jpg

20220903_192900.jpg

What are you going to do for the return journey or are you going to stay on the continent for the rest of your days?

This could create the greatest faff know to schloss trips. 

• Haha 1