Hi Everyone

Tinkicker

Hi.  Just joined. 

Bit about about myself. 

Lifelong biker since 12 years old, apart from a break of 10 years or so.  Truck and heavy equipment techie, ex motorcycle techie, ex CBT instructor, ex off road instructor on motox, trials and quads for 12 years. 

Dream job fixing and instructing on bikes you would think, but when your hobby becomes your job, the hobby suffers.  Hence the 10 year break.  Total bike burn out.

Of dozens of bikes I owned, only two were immediately missed on trading in.  I had a brand new Honda VFR750 in 1997, kept it a couple of years, traded it in for the newly fuel injected Honda Blackbird and knew I had made a mistake within 20 miles.  The VFR takes some beating.

The other was the Yamaha DT175mx.  Had a new one in 1979 as I was big into off road at the time.  My mates changed direction and we got into motorcycle rallies.  The DT was not good for long camping trips and was traded in for a Honda 250N Superdream, which was better for camping trips but did not exactly set my trousers on fire.

I got out of the motorcycle trade and it took almost 10 years for my bike burn out to ease and have any real inkling to buy another bike, but it did eventually.

So what bike to get.  Easy answer.  1997 VFR750.  Bought in 2019, stripped and completely restored to almost as new spec.

This was followed by a 1979 DT175mx in 2021, again stripped and completely restored to as new condition.

So there you have it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tinkicker said:

Hi.  Just joined. 

Bit about about myself. 

Lifelong biker since 12 years old, apart from a break of 10 years or so.  Truck and heavy equipment techie, ex motorcycle techie, ex CBT instructor, ex off road instructor on motox, trials and quads for 12 years. 

Dream job fixing and instructing on bikes you would think, but when your hobby becomes your job, the hobby suffers.  Hence the 10 year break.  Total bike burn out.

Of dozens of bikes I owned, only two were immediately missed on trading in.  I had a brand new Honda VFR750 in 1997, kept it a couple of years, traded it in for the newly fuel injected Honda Blackbird and knew I had made a mistake within 20 miles.  The VFR takes some beating.

The other was the Yamaha DT175mx.  Had a new one in 1979 as I was big into off road at the time.  My mates changed direction and we got into motorcycle rallies.  The DT was not good for long camping trips and was traded in for a Honda 250N Superdream, which was better for camping trips but did not exactly set my trousers on fire.

I got out of the motorcycle trade and it took almost 10 years for my bike burn out to ease and have any real inkling to buy another bike, but it did eventually.

So what bike to get.  Easy answer.  1997 VFR750.  Bought in 2019, stripped and completely restored to almost as new spec.

This was followed by a 1979 DT175mx in 2021, again stripped and completely restored to as new condition.

So there you have it.

Welcome, pretty much covers bike history 😁 

2 hours ago, Tinkicker said:

Hi.  Just joined. 

Bit about about myself. 

So there you have it.

I know a lot of people that said after the vfr went from the 750 to 800 it wasn't as good I did like the final vfr750s in white 

Hi there, not long joined myself.

As you like the VFR I thought you might like to see this.

The pic was taken in 2007 when I went to the Black Forest on a Bandit 1250.

The owner lived in Germany and was a member of the VFR club I remember him saying it was about 20 years old at the time.

So it must have been one of the early ones.  I had a great time trying to keep up with him in his own playground.

39434739_BlackForest2007.thumb.jpg.52dd099cad480e9ca7d37f7b6ffeef7a.jpg

Cheers and thanks for reviving old memories.

• Like 2

Pic of VFR.  Restoration completed and pic taken Xmas day 2019.  Well apart from the gearlever rubber which got lost in the Christmas post.

50775275146_c0e7a0b88b_h.jpg

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 4