NT1100?

Steve_M

Finding myself with an hour or two to spare I made the mistake of filling my time perusing bike reviews. This turned into a “what will I replace my current bike with?” session. Now I’m looking at my finances to see how, not if, I can afford the replacement. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Finding myself with an hour or two to spare I made the mistake of filling my time perusing bike reviews. This turned into a “what will I replace my current bike with?” session. Now I’m looking at my finances to see how, not if, I can afford the replacement. 

Is it just the NT you are looking at? 

45 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Is it just the NT you are looking at? 

It’s the one that ticks more boxes than the alternatives. It all started when a Triumph Tiger 660 Sport review appeared on my Social Media and one thing led to another…

14 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I’ve developed a strong antipathy towards high level exhausts due to their intrusion into the luggage space. 

Yup I get that.......

But! the NT1100 panier sizes are  33L left and 32L right the GS is 36L Right 44L Left 

Looking at pictures of the NT the panniers do look tiny 

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yup I get that.......

But! the NT1100 panier sizes are  33L left and 32L right the GS is 36L Right 44L Left 

Looking at pictures of the NT the panniers do look tiny 

A good point. So the search continues…

5 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

A good point. So the search continues…

Its one of the main thins I look at as I have a wife that packs everything!! 

The largest luggage I found was always on a BMW or the triumph trophy but they stopped making that! 

The GS was a no go as the wife struggled to get on it :roll: so it made it a toss up between the RT or the K1600 the RT one as it was a better bike for the type of riding I do 

Personally I think most panniers are made for one person 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

Its one of the main thins I look at as I have a wife that packs everything!! 

The largest luggage I found was always on a BMW or the triumph trophy but they stopped making that! 

The GS was a no go as the wife struggled to get on it :roll: so it made it a toss up between the RT or the K1600 the RT one as it was a better bike for the type of riding I do 

Personally I think most panniers are made for one person 

I originally bought my Tiger 1050SE with a view to touring solo, as I always had to that point. Then my OH discovered that she also enjoyed touring. She doesn’t pack light either, and the Tiger panniers were inadequate, so part of the reason for buying the FJR, before the GS.

Hi Steve I changed from a 1050 Tiger to the 1200 one for exactly the same reason lol.

It`s worth exploring other luggage options such as crash bar bags from Lomo to assist your panniers.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steve_M said:

It’s the one that ticks more boxes than the alternatives. It all started when a Triumph Tiger 660 Sport review appeared on my Social Media and one thing led to another…

If it ticks the boxes go for it I'm sure some aftermarket luggage is available which will be a bit bigger than oem. The plastic panniers on the Africa twin are huge as is the top box. It's a great engine on the Honda and the tech is good I know some whinge but it's easy to get used to. Smaller front wheel on the NT should make it a dream on the twisties just a shame they have no electronic suspension option as i have it on the AT and its well worth it. 

Oddly enough the electronic suspension is a massive Nono for me… I tend to hang on to bikes for a few years and these things make upgrading stupendously expensive. And at some point upgrading will be essential. Has there been any bike in recent years with oem suspension that lasts? I think not.

I also think the switchgear is just plain daft.

But it does have one massive advantage over just about every other touring bike. DCT as an option.

11 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Oddly enough the electronic suspension is a massive Nono for me… I tend to hang on to bikes for a few years and these things make upgrading stupendously expensive. And at some point upgrading will be essential. Has there been any bike in recent years with oem suspension that lasts? I think not.

I also think the switchgear is just plain daft.

But it does have one massive advantage over just about every other touring bike. DCT as an option.

I find the electronic suspension on the GS invaluable as it simplifies adjustment for different riding requirements. Losing it wouldn’t be a deal breaker, though.

1 minute ago, Steve_M said:

I find the electronic suspension on the GS invaluable as it simplifies adjustment for different riding requirements. Losing it wouldn’t be a deal breaker, 

Have a few test rides planned? 

11 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Oddly enough the electronic suspension is a massive Nono for me… I tend to hang on to bikes for a few years and these things make upgrading stupendously expensive.

Fortunately technology moves on as does peoples knowledge and ability to make, rebuild and replicate this "expensive" suspension 

Which results in companies out there able to now fully refurbish or replace these units at a very reasonable cost

A rebuild for the suspension on mine is no more than a rebuild on a none ESA unit and a replacement doesn't cost much more than an aftermarket unit without ESA 

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

Fortunately technology moves on as does peoples knowledge and ability to make, rebuild and replicate this "expensive" suspension 

Which results in companies out there able to now fully refurbish or replace these units at a very reasonable cost

A rebuild for the suspension on mine is no more than a rebuild on a none ESA unit and a replacement doesn't cost much more than an aftermarket unit without ESA 

I believe BMW units are easier and cheaper to refurb now as other companies can do it. Use my bike for everything so the ability to change suspension at the touch of a screen saves a load of time and hassle. Changing from touring to gravel mode in the move is handy too on little country lanes 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

I believe BMW units are easier and cheaper to refurb now as other companies can do it. Use my bike for everything so the ability to change suspension at the touch of a screen saves a load of time and hassle. Changing from touring to gravel mode in the move is handy too on little country lanes 

This is true

There is plenty of places out there now able to refurb or even replace with an aftermarket unit for a lot less and have better results too 

Changing the suspension on the fly is a novelty I would want on any bike I have now 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

No thanks. This is the reason I turned my back on BMW in 2018 and why I stuck with the 1000 in 2020.

I think most come with standard options still. Think that's why the vstroms are still so popular less tech and tried and tested etc 

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

I think most come with standard options still. Think that's why the vstroms are still so popular less tech and tried and tested etc 

“Every Cloud….”  If the NT is available with standard suspension and if there are additional luggage options then I wouldn’t immediately say no. They look better in real life than in photos… my dealer caught me looking at one and offered me a test ride. I declined mostly as this sort of bike doesn’t suit my riding style. Its turning circle is an automatic Nono. Been there done that. But for more traditional touring then yes, definitely. But instead of going for the electronic suspension. Spend on the DCT option. Especially if you regularly take a pillion, though that’s not the only reason. Once you “get it” it’s massive fun to ride. It just goes and is impossible to stall. Why have one clutch when you can have two with the mother of all quick shifters. Clickety-Click.