Sandwiches / Lunch

onesea

After several years I am getting bored of my present meal break sandwiches at work,

Marmite and Mayo   - I know a love hate thing.

I am looking for inspiration in meal or sandwich form,

Many reasoning behind my basic sandwich/ meal requirements are:

• Suitable for eating any time day or night,
  • Must be edible in a moving vehicle without making a mess,
  • No need for cutlery or hot water,
  • Cost effective,
  • Quick and easy to make,
  • Not go off in a vehicle for 10 hours regardless of weather,

Presently I can fill my lunch box’s in 3 minutes, sandwiches, fruit, veg sticks crisps and mini chocolate bar, job done.  Much appreciated when it’s early in the morning or it’s the last night and you just want to get to work on time.

in theory we should get back to base for lunch, however this is a rarely a reality.  When your often having your meal brake (if you get one) in the last 3 hours of a 10 hour shift it’s a long time without food,

Many just buy snacks on the go but I am to tight fisted and know I would buy sh1t.  

• Mr Kipling apple pies - all 6,
  • Choclate eclairs - the box of 4,
  • 1lb bags of wine gums - the whole bag,
  • Choclate hobnobs - The full packet (with no tea with it),

Non of them last more than 20 minutes - I could go on…

Suggestions Welcome.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

I always take my own lunch and am out all day. I use an insulated food flask and a mini cool bag with ice packs in the summer. I often take soup in the winter but not much use in a moving vehicle. I also make extra dinner and take that the next day, or roast a chicken and slice some in a salad.csn be mainly. Also cous cous or rice salad with chopped veggies, chicken, nice seasoning, feta, can be madd in bulk in advance.. A good amount of fibre and protein will keep you feeling fuller for longer as well. 

Edited by goat

Due to my "diet" I have abandon the sandwich path.

I find that having a wee lunch box works far better than shoving food between slices of bread :)

My process is, I prepare a load of food on sunday an split it in daily portions.

My main recipes are diced either chicken or turkey (other protein source available) and adding some veggies/pasta/noodles have a stir-fry.

I also, some times do a roast in the oven and slice it ready to eat.

It is a bit of work on Sunday but saves me a lot during the week when I get up at 5am.

The sliced roasted meat can easily be used in sandwiches too :thumb:

51 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

I thought it was illegal to eat and drive? 

This is not for while driving, eating is done as passenger often on bouncy roads making progress to get to next job.

Sadly, the bouncy side of it says that salads and such like will get well shaken in box, require a fork and one day will end up decorating cab if eaten on road.

Still thinking between 2 bits of bread is best, I have tried:
Sandwich spread - not as nice as I remember,

Sandwich Pastes - Not as nice as I remember,

Cucumber - Worked but very plain,

Pate - Nice but probably not healthy,
Egg - Nice but often eaten at breakfast,

Tuna - nice but either plenty of Mayo or it all falls out,

Most just have snacks but if snack I put on weight fast.

Edited by onesea

38 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

More prep time needed than for a sarnie but you could try a wrap? ... th?id=AMMS_354ee5c2c5142ad47ffe92d01e1aa

Agree. Anything in a wrap. You can even put the filling in and roll it so it looks like a Swiss roll. 
have you tried wrapping your sandwiches individually in grease proof paper or such like then wrapping in tin foil. Keep the sandwich in the wrapping while eating and this will stop the contents going everywhere, or at least massively reduce the risk.