2015 YBR 125 Problems

RastaJay

Have a 2015 ybr 125 injection model. it keeps heavily bogging it pretty much is cutting out mid throttle if i let go of the throttle it brings the bike back to life but as soon as i give it throttle again it does the same, sometimes it will completely cut out and will struggle to start back up after few hours of sitting… today it completely died out on me and now it will not start back up. sometimes when im coming to a stop it would also slowly cut out and struggle to kick back up. been having this issue for a little while now some days worst than other but now it will not start whatsoever its turning over, getting spark, its got fresh fuel in it. im stuck on where to go and need it as its my only transport for work. 

As suggested by @Grumpy Old Git easy stuff first, try with the fuel tank cap open that will eliminate blocked breather straight away and if symptoms persist straight to an airline and clean the filter.

If no joy next thing is to check for a filter in the fuel line going to the injectors and look for restricted flow.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

As above, however as I recall the spark plug is easy to access.

I would take it out look at it and see what it says:

image.thumb.png.adfa11004d201e9a36b1a7aa792f7a54.pngsince you have taken it out change it.

Had it been very wet/ damp when it's cut out? Could be a short? Spray HT leaf and spark plug with WD40 does it help? Although warm bikes normally don't normally suffer from damp.

Might be worth doing an oil, oil and air filter change for the £10-20 it will cost.

Also if you can hear the fuel pump, does it's note change?

How old is battery?  Jump start it from a car (car engine not running).  If nothing changes it's probably not electrical.

Bike is now running again… I did clear the air filter and air pipe, did have a thick layer of gunk in it but cleared it all and it runs alot happier now but did not seem to stop the problem of it bogging out and not starting after. my spark plug was extremely dark black, looking on the oil deposit or detonation side from the pictures above. battery is also fairly new only 4 - 5 months old. with the tank cap, i hear it hiss when i first move the bike around so im assuming its releasing gasses alright and this isnt the problem not 100% sure what is meant by this though so not sure.

and the damp side of things, yes it does tend to be when it has rained or when it icy that it really struggles the most, it will start but just die put after 45 seconds of riding, i took my seat off and all underneath was damp and had slight mould all over plastics and wires etc i have cleaned this but didnt stop it.  fuel pump sounds consistent.

all in all the bike is running again, and running well for now but i am 1000% certain that this will happen again soon. what should i start with to eliminate from this happening again?

thanks for the help guys/gals 👋

My advice is replace (might not cost as much as you think) or clean the hoses (rod them through).

Replace the air filter, and do an oil change.  Yes it's going to cost £20 however air flow is a funny thing.

A slight reduction in air flow can make big difference.

Try running the bike with the fuel tank cap off,  see if symptoms continue. I would suggest riding it a short distance but the health and safety gurus will get upset.

It might be the vent is creating slight vacuum in tank? 

Although with fuel pump it should not be as sensitive as carbs.

Run the bike and check plug after it's stopped before you try to restart it.  Will give more if clue as to what's going on.

Is it using any oil?

Got new air filter, air line, oil filter, spark plug and oil on the way will update soon as all has been done… will be attempting to use my bike for work this week beforehand as its still my only mode of transport. will update on how it goes. when i next change and check my plug aswell i will post a picture of what it looks like. 

thanks again dude, talk in a few days.

• Like 1

If the plug is black it is probably running very rich or burning oil so replace the air filter its restricting air flow and if burning oil check oil level. As others have said clean air hoses and vents dry out and clean all damp wiring under and around seat and all electrical conections including battery terminals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old-codger said:

If the plug is black it is probably running very rich or burning oil so replace the air filter its restricting air flow and if burning oil check oil level. As others have said clean air hoses and vents dry out and clean all damp wiring under and around seat and all electrical conections including battery terminals.

Spray a little WD40 (other brands may be available) around the wiring and connectors once you have them clean & dry - It will help protect them.

• Like 2

Update: Bike Ran Decent All Week, Didnt Cut out, Bogged here and there. Changed the Air Filter, Oil Filter, Oil and Spark Plug today. Oil seemed rather dark and when i took the engine casing off was a small amount of  gloopy kinda of slimy oil that had a bit of a greyish whiteish colour to it. cleaned all the air way as you guys said with wd40 alot cleaner now! here is the new spark plug after a quick 10 minute thrash to work.

532DA543-4B9F-4C1E-9317-E0B39EDE92D4.jpeg

99282EF3-08BC-4FA3-B9A6-39A50EF86453.jpeg

• Like 1

Grey ish gloop could be concern, however if problem gone away for now see how she runs.

Spark plug seems good but will need more running, the reason I said before you try restarting is because if it bogged down and you try to restart you could change what is left on spark plug with fresh fuel.

Grey/ white gloop might be water in oil.  Could be lots of nasties (head gasket) might just be long time no oil change a little moisture condensation or something.  

Time will tell 🤞

20 hours ago, onesea said:

Grey ish gloop could be concern, however if problem gone away for now see how she runs.

Spark plug seems good but will need more running, the reason I said before you try restarting is because if it bogged down and you try to restart you could change what is left on spark plug with fresh fuel.

Grey/ white gloop might be water in oil.  Could be lots of nasties (head gasket) might just be long time no oil change a little moisture condensation or something.  

Time will tell 🤞

Grey/white gloop is what oil with water in it looks like. 

• Like 1

Update: bike has been running well, chain snapped so it has been off the road for a few days now, just gone to warm her up to see how shed doing and there is non stop smoke coming from the exhaust manifold and the longer i run the bike the more it smokes from further down the exhaust. im not 100% sure what the means but according to my calculations im f**ked right?