New CBT rider - Don't know where to begin with clothing!

Hi all,

I've recently passed my CBT primarily for a work commute (around 7 miles) and in work I will wear a standard formal shirt and a pair of black jeans - easy stuff and nothing too crazy. I would ideally like the transition from bike gear to work gear to be as seamless as possible but there is literally an ocean of choice and I really don't know where to begin! Do I go with some kind of over the top bike layers so a standard jacket and trousers or what is the general recommendation please? Of course the helmet and bike boots are non negotiables but what should I be looking for without paying over the odds please? Thank you! 

You can either try to buy nice bike gear that looks mostly like ordinary clothing or just change at work. You can buy nice bike jeans. I like revit stuff just because the sizing is good for me. Knox makes nice stuff. Check out ebay for second hand. Be careful of knock offs and fakes though. 

What about a pair of trousers like these:
Trousers - use these as I use my work boots as motorbike boots,

Or these
Other type. - if you have to change your shoes anyway,

A jacket something like this:

Jacket - not fashionable but works.

Plenty of options available, if you want durable and water proof Gortex is the way to go however.

I would suggest affordable alternatives until you know the style and use they are going to get and work for you.
Vents, removable liners, are important IMHO

As long as they have armour:
Hips knees, back, elbow and shoulder.

A helmet with a sun visor, I have modular but each to own.

2 pairs of gloves summer and winter.

I work in an office and wear a full suit.

I leave my suit jackets in the office so dont have to commute with them. Also leave my shoes in the office. I wear my bike kit over these without any issues. 

I'd say go into your local shop as they will be able to help find a helmet and clothing that fits you right and in your budget. 

• Like 1

I'd say to buy textiles (like the jacket onesea gave the link to) and buy them loose fitting enough to go over your work clothes.  

Textiles should keep you dry for 7 miles in all but the worst downpours. And with your work clothes, you should be warm enough too. I'd add heated grips to the bike to stop your hands freezing. 

Textiles with removable quilted linings work well for commuting. That way, you can remove the lining in summer and they should still be ok - unless the weather gets crazy hot. In summer you've more options: I use kevlar jeans, and then just carry on wearing them all day in the office (except I hardly ever go there now, since covid).

Look on ebay. There's usually a fair choice of of reasonable secondhand stuff. Or visit a local J&S (if you're near enough) if you want to buy new.