best (sports) touring bike for a trip around Europe?

lukesft

2 hours ago, lukesft said:

Doing some more research on it my only concern is the engine. I loved the mt07 engine in training and felt comfortable yet slightly intimidated by it it was perfect for that blip of adrenaline. My only worry is that the versys (from what I’ve read) doesn’t have that fun side. Am I completely wrong? I mean im a beginner so I’m sure everything will feel amazing but just don’t want to get bored of it in 6 months and want something else would be nice to have something to grow into. 
if you have any experience on one would be great to know your thoughts.

Excitement is subjective and a lot of it in my view comes down to the roads you ride and how you ride them. Get to know the bike you ride and you will begin to ride it better and find its sweet spot. Worst case enjoy it for a year maintain it and care for it and sell it for pretty much no depreciation and move on. You may want a bigger bike in a year or so anyway. I think it will be just fine as a beginner bike.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lukesft said:

Doing some more research on it my only concern is the engine. I loved the mt07 engine in training and felt comfortable yet slightly intimidated by it it was perfect for that blip of adrenaline. My only worry is that the versys (from what I’ve read) doesn’t have that fun side. Am I completely wrong? I mean im a beginner so I’m sure everything will feel amazing but just don’t want to get bored of it in 6 months and want something else would be nice to have something to grow into. 
if you have any experience on one would be great to know your thoughts.

It’s only relevant if you think that the fun of motorcycling is in a straight line. This is true for some but that’s a good way to lose your licence. 

On the road, staying (broadly) in line with the legal speed limits, on interesting roads, there will be very little difference in time between a well ridden 650cc motorbike and a 1000cc motorbike.

As a footnote, I have seen a number of riders whose riding is far worse  on a powerful machine than on a middleweight. 

The true excitement will be there in the places you go, people you meet and adventures you have.

You know like when you ride into a total shithole area and think will I make it out alive, when that weirdo comes up to you at the petrol station and spends an hour telling you how bell towers without bells are actually airship mooring posts, and when a pheasant launches it self at your head.

There will of course be people like Mr gsxr1000 who was on here for 5 minutes wanting to fit the loudest exhaust possible whilst simultaneously denigrating anyone else's bike choice. He will likely be among the many riders who ride three days a year like total knobheads on their way to pose at the local bike meet before smearing themselves along the road with an hgv.

Buy that bike, get out and chop it in in a year's time.

I've ridden one. It's a great do-all, go-anywhere bike. Personally I liked it more than the mt07.

Will it work for you? Honestly I don't know.

I know isnt always easy when you've just past your test, but try to find a dealer with one you can test ride. You'll know within 10 minutes of riding it.

Great bike, and quite forgiving of my inexperienced riding.

Just factor in the cost of a Booster Plug to even out the jerky throttle response - makes a world of difference. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shepherd said:

Great bike, and quite forgiving of my inexperienced riding.

Just factor in the cost of a Booster Plug to even out the jerky throttle response - makes a world of difference. 

Always good for the op on these posts hmto hear from someone who has one or rode one👍

Cheers guys appreciate all the tips - agree with you there about experience and people you meet etc. that’s what I’m here for. 
think I will go to a dealer and test ride a few and go from there.

anyone know good bike dealerships in around london or further afield?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lukesft said:

Cheers guys appreciate all the tips - agree with you there about experience and people you meet etc. that’s what I’m here for. 
think I will go to a dealer and test ride a few and go from there.

anyone know good bike dealerships in around london or further afield?

Sorry can't advice for london. When I last had test rides I went to a few places got a feel for how good/bad the dealers were then. The good ones I found also didn't mind you going away to think about it. Some tried the pressure sales saying the deal would be gone next week etc!

• Like 1

Most bike dealerships I've been to are pretty helpful and relaxed. Where they vary is how they deal with you after the sale.

They'll probably ask to you sign up to a 1000 pound insurance excess. One or two now are giving you the option of paying 10 pounds for an excess waiver. I've never damaged a bike on a test ride but I buy the waiver if they offer it, just in case!

2 hours ago, bonio said:

Most bike dealerships I've been to are pretty helpful and relaxed. Where they vary is how they deal with you after the sale.

They'll probably ask to you sign up to a 1000 pound insurance excess. One or two now are giving you the option of paying 10 pounds for an excess waiver. I've never damaged a bike on a test ride but I buy the waiver if they offer it, just in case!

A friend dropped a Honda VTR on a Roundabout due to a diesel spillage. She had a £1500 excess. Ended up buying the bike as it worked out financially better. A bit unfortunate as it really wasn’t the right bike for her. 

• Sad 1

just an update - tried getting test rides at bmw and triumph in London, no bueno. apparently need to of held my license for at least a year! might have to go outside of London?

also made a mistake in my insurance quotes and every bike mentioned here and that I have tried is £1000 fully comp. assume for biking comprehensive is best?

not off to a good start haha.

• Sad 1

It's fairly normal for test rides to have a "one year" clause, but some dealers will turn a blind eye.  The down side is that this leaves you in the position of riding without valid insurance on the test ride so if anything happened it wouldn't be good. 

I went for third party fire and theft with pillion and commuting (bike is garaged) which wasn't too bad.  Adding extra security features didn't make any difference to the premium.  If you go down this route, the trick is to set your budget at a figure you could cope with losing if the worst should happen and you wipe out spectacularly (while still having a reliable bike).

4 hours ago, lukesft said:

just an update - tried getting test rides at bmw and triumph in London, no bueno. apparently need to of held my license for at least a year! might have to go outside of London?

also made a mistake in my insurance quotes and every bike mentioned here and that I have tried is £1000 fully comp. assume for biking comprehensive is best?

Not so long ago I found very little difference between TPF&T and fully comp. You do need to ask the question about how much faith you have in the possibility of binning the bike.

Considering alternatives to those mentioned.

Honda Deauville (often referred to as “Dullsville”. Definitely a “worthy” bike even if not exciting. Will keep up with traffic, cruise at motorway speeds, has decent luggage. I hear they’re comfortable. 

Honda ST1100. An absolute peach of a bike if you can find a good one. Comfortable, handles well, reliable and easy to ride, and good luggage capacity. The tricky bit is that they’re getting a bit like rocking horse sh*t… tricky to find.

Addendum. Honda ST1300… as above but a bit more expensive.

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 2

The idea of riding an old hack for a year and then swapping the bike and touring next year is beginning to look attractive.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, bonio said:

The idea of riding an old hack for a year and then swapping the bike and touring next year is beginning to look attractive.

My first “big” bike was a 10yr old Honda CX500 Eurosport. Generally dismissed by the race rep rider, it was an excellent introduction to motorcycling and served me well for a couple of years - it was my daily ride and I covered around 20,000 miles on it, including undertaking additional training and passing my IAM test on it. 

I’ve owned a couple of well maintained older bikes (hacks?) including an ST1100, a Kawasaki ZXR750 (bought off eBay, sight unseen, at the end of a night at the Norwich beer festival) and my current Suzuki SV650S. All three have been great fun.

EG. Here’s a photo of my idea of fun on an ST1100 for those who doubt you can have fun on a old Pan. 

8CEAFE51-D3CB-4694-84B1-E8994EBE5EFD.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lukesft said:

Maybe consider an older cheaper bike as said by others maybe an older vstrom 650 or cb500x. I came back to bikes after a 15yr break worked my way up to my current Africa twin that was still £600 last year to insure its building up your ncb that takes time 

10 hours ago, lukesft said:

As a new rider you are a total unknown quantity to the insurers and until you prove otherwise are viewed as a VERY bad risk. This is totally normal which is why I said this in my first reply to you…. Seems like months ago.

Just get what you can afford to buy and insure.

having said all that the top end of your budget will easily buy something traded in on a pcp. But can you afford to buy AND insure?

I would definitely recommend a PCP trade in rather than some random old bike with multiple owners. As it will come with certain guarantees and a warranty. And you really need that for European touring. Especially as a novice. A newer bike will be repatriated by your rescue co. Older bikes can be problematic. To say the least.

it will make your life much easier over the longer term. Simple as that.

so if your insurance is going to cost £1000. Then you need to factor that into the overall purchase price.

On 15/02/2023 at 22:57, Gerontious said:

As a new rider you are a total unknown quantity to the insurers and until you prove otherwise are viewed as a VERY bad risk. This is totally normal which is why I said this in my first reply to you…. Seems like months ago.

I would definitely recommend a PCP trade in rather than some random old bike with multiple owners. As it will come with certain guarantees and a warranty. And you really need that for European touring. Especially as a novice. A newer bike will be repatriated by your rescue co. Older bikes can be problematic. To say the least.

it will make your life much easier over the longer term. Simple as that.

so if your insurance is going to cost £1000. Then you need to factor that into the overall purchase price.

Agreed thanks man 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I’m looking at £4/5k for a bike - on the lower end of that without luggage higher with luggage. Currently looking at sv650s & xj6 diversion prefer a sportier look. Looking to do a trip to Spain this summer don’t need a touring bike but something that’s reliable, economical and somewhat comfortable for a 6’ft 1”. Feel like abs is a must for a new rider too so that would be ideal. Any guidance would be great, thanks

35 minutes ago, lukesft said:

So I’m looking at £4/5k for a bike - on the lower end of that without luggage higher with luggage. Currently looking at sv650s & xj6 diversion prefer a sportier look. Looking to do a trip to Spain this summer don’t need a touring bike but something that’s reliable, economical and somewhat comfortable for a 6’ft 1”. Feel like abs is a must for a new rider too so that would be ideal. Any guidance would be great, thanks

curve ball.... R1150RS maintenance free shaft drive. Luggage.  £2000 ignore the mileage, its immaterial.  This from a  time when ABS was optional. this one doesn't have it. many others will. And if you don't like the look of that, below is an R1100S. much sportier and £1500 more and very tasty. Both are fantastic tourers. Reasonably low insurance. take you anywhere..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125255437539?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155423393705?

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

curve ball.... R1150RS maintenance free shaft drive. Luggage.  £2000 ignore the mileage, its immaterial.  This from a  time when ABS was optional. this one doesn't have it. many others will. And if you don't like the look of that, below is an R1100S. much sportier and £1500 more and very tasty. Both are fantastic tourers. Reasonably low insurance. take you anywhere..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125255437539?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155423393705?

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

Oh nice thanks mate! Yes think ideally 1000s are the way to go but as my first bike I think I should probably be looking in the 6/700cc range?

from an insurance point of view too

• Like 1

first bike you are going to get nobbled by the insurers. depends on what you want and to what degree the insurers are going to nobble you for that first year. year two comes along and its a game changer. I did take pains to point out that these bikes tend towards the lower end of the insurance spectrum for the amount of CCs you are getting. especially if you have a garage. Ive known people who found an 800cc cheaper to insure as a first bike than a 125. because the 125cc was a particularly tasty one. by Aprilia.

but.. thinking about 800cc bikes... this with a maintenance free belt drive. selling for around £3000 full luggage. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166024211737?

s-l1600-1.png

• Like 4