Wearing glasses and biking

Davidtav

So I wear specs. And I do need them. My eyesight is poor without them. This has always been ok. But my peripheral vision hasn’t been as good as you would really want. So although I do all the lifesaver glances, I have also relied on my mirrors quite a lot. 
I hadn’t really considered if I could improve this situation. But I’ve bought some new glasses this week. Went out riding yesterday. And they are so much better. Not complete peripheral vision. But massively better. Made the ride much easier. The frames do look quite large compared to my previous glasses I think. In fact I wondered if my helmet would fit with them when I chose them. It does … I just thought I would post about this today because it isn’t something I had ever really considered. Or read about etc

• Like 1

As I wear glasses I always take my helmet when I have an eye test. So if I need new glasses I try the various frame on while wearing the helmet to ensure they fit ok.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JRH said:

As I wear glasses I always take my helmet when I have an eye test. So if I need new glasses I try the various frame on while wearing the helmet to ensure they fit ok.

Same here, as does my good lady. You do get some funny looks in the shop, mind… 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Same here, as does my good lady. You do get some funny looks in the shop, mind… 

You do don’t you. 🤣

12 hours ago, Davidtav said:

So I wear specs. And I do need them. My eyesight is poor without them. This has always been ok. But my peripheral vision hasn’t been as good as you would really want. So although I do all the lifesaver glances, I have also relied on my mirrors quite a lot. 
I hadn’t really considered if I could improve this situation. But I’ve bought some new glasses this week. Went out riding yesterday. And they are so much better. Not complete peripheral vision. But massively better. Made the ride much easier. The frames do look quite large compared to my previous glasses I think. In fact I wondered if my helmet would fit with them when I chose them. It does … I just thought I would post about this today because it isn’t something I had ever really considered. Or read about etc

Not Tried Contacts ?   They're great if they suit you.

I have worn glasses for years, I find flexible metal frames best for riding and a close fit to my face..

Issue with Sun visor. you can get a reactive pinlock or reactive glasses  not quite as good but better than nothing.  Also with some helmets a line of black tape along the top of the visor is helpful

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I have never tried contacts. I don’t think I would get on with them. Maybe I should have tried them 30 years ago. Not about to start now. I’m very used to glasses. I feel wearing glasses is part of my identity if that makes sense 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davidtav said:

I have never tried contacts. I don’t think I would get on with them. Maybe I should have tried them 30 years ago. Not about to start now. I’m very used to glasses. I feel wearing glasses is part of my identity if that makes sense 

I can understand that.  Spectacles can make some people look intelligent.  

I usually add a pipe for good measure.

• Haha 3

On 06/02/2023 at 22:44, Ronnie said:

I have contacts, but I need verifocal glasses. If I wear contacts on the bike I can't read the dash or satnav. Or more importantly the menu for lunch stops  (without reading gasses).

i tried varifocal contacts but could not get on with them.

Edited by JRH
  • Haha 3