BMW Bringing Back Electric-Assist Centerstand

Admin

The <i>Cycle World</i> Ten Best–winning BMW K 1200 LT was available with an electrohydraulic centerstand as an option.
The <i>Cycle World</i> Ten Best–winning BMW K 1200 LT was available with an electrohydraulic centerstand as an option. (Cycle World Archives/)

While a power-assisted centerstand might not sit at the very top of your “must-have” list when choosing a new motorcycle, there’s clearly a market for the technology. Several aftermarket brands sell variations on the idea and OEMs have dabbled in it as well. One of them is BMW, and a new patent shows the firm has ideas to improve the system on future models.

BMW’s powered centerstand was an option starting on the 2004 K1200LT, using a combination of electrics and hydraulics to take the effort out of heaving the heavy tourer onto its stand, but the company is now working on a version of the idea that’s intended to be much more natural to use. Instead of a slow, push-button-operated system, the idea is to create a stand that works exactly like a conventional, manual one, but without the effort.

The previous electrohydraulic centerstand from BMW’s 2004 K1200LT required the rider to press a button and then wait for the system to slowly jack the bike up onto the stand.
The previous electrohydraulic centerstand from BMW’s 2004 K1200LT required the rider to press a button and then wait for the system to slowly jack the bike up onto the stand. (Cycle World Archives/)

While many are sure to argue that putting a bike on its centerstand is a question of technique rather than brute strength, and there’s truth to that, we’re living in a world where everything is getting power assistance. Electronic suspension adjustment is becoming commonplace, throttles are controlled via servos rather than cables, and even power steering is being trialed on motocross bikes by Yamaha right now. With that in mind, the idea of using bodyweight and muscle power to hoist a bike onto its stand seems anachronistic. If there’s a cheap, compact, and user-friendly way to make a power stand, then why not?

BMW’s new patent application describes the problem, saying, “In the case of motorcycles that are particularly bulky…jacking up the motorcycle in this way can require a particularly large amount of muscle power on the part of the user.” While acknowledging that leverage can be increased with a longer arm on the stand, the patent points out that this creates its own problems in terms of packaging.

The new patent suggests that the system is more of an assist feature than a fully automated function.
The new patent suggests that the system is more of an assist feature than a fully automated function. (BMW/)

But if BMW has made power stands in the past, what’s new about the latest patent? The answer lies in speed and usability. Instead of pressing a bar-mounted button and waiting for an electric motor to drive a hydraulic pump, slowing cranking the stand into position while you try to hold the bike steady, the initial stage of lowering the new stand is completely conventional. There’s a peg extending from one side, and you push it down with your foot. Only when the stand touches the ground does the power element come into play.

When the system senses that the stand touches the ground, it then applies helping assist. It can also be disabled completely.
When the system senses that the stand touches the ground, it then applies helping assist. It can also be disabled completely. (BMW/)

A sensor on the stand registers when it hits the ground and you start to put more pressure on the lever, adding power assistance to help jack the rear of the bike up and pull it onto the stand. The patent also suggests there are buttons to activate the system on the bars and the rear grab handle that can be used to control the power assist system once the bike is being lifted. The system also allows power assistance to be decoupled entirely, allowing the stand to be used manually and letting you quickly push the bike off the stand, rather than waiting for it to retract electrically.

Although the existence of the patent doesn’t mean the system is on the verge of being incorporated into a production bike, it’s a design that makes sense in light of BMW’s ever-advancing rider-assistance technology. With a new generation of boxer-twin BMW is expected to debut this year when the R 1300 GS is launched, including a radically different chassis and engine design compared to the current models, there’s a possibility that the power stand shown in the patent will come at the same time.

View the full article

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I need this on the Triumph, it's giving me back ache.

Put the rear wheel on a piece of wood it helps a lot 

Also look at your technique as you shouldn't be hurting your back or lifting it. It's all in your legs and standing on that centre stand with a swift action 👍

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Put the rear wheel on a piece of wood it helps a lot 

Also look at your technique as you shouldn't be hurting your back or lifting it. It's all in your legs and standing on that centre stand with a swift action 👍

Pain has a funny way of making you re-evaluate your technique. I think I was snatching too hard to pull it forward off the stand. Also when pushing down on the tine I need to pull upwards on the bike to create an opposite force. Again, just a bit too enthusiastic.

Bit of wood is a good idea, will use that one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Pain has a funny way of making you re-evaluate your technique. I think I was snatching too hard to pull it forward off the stand. Also when pushing down on the tine I need to pull upwards on the bike to create an opposite force. Again, just a bit too enthusiastic.

Bit of wood is a good idea, will use that one.

There should be no pulling upwards of any bike as you put it on the centre stand you should only stabilise it. 

The action should all be in your legs and feet on to the centre stand pushing it down in to the ground. 

Try the piece of wood though just bear in mind it doesn't need to be thick just 20mm or so is enough and you will need to be able to remove it from under the wheel when it's on the stand 

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

There should be no pulling upwards of any bike as you put it on the centre stand you should only stabilise it. 

The action should all be in your legs and feet on to the centre stand pushing it down in to the ground. 

Try the piece of wood though just bear in mind it doesn't need to be thick just 20mm or so is enough and you will need to be able to remove it from under the wheel when it's on the stand 

But basic physics? ... you can only push downwards with the force of your own weight. I can stand with my whole weight pushing down on the tine and it won't be enough on its own.

Edited by Fiddlesticks

1 minute ago, Fiddlesticks said:

But basic physics... you can only push downwards with the force of your own weight. I can stand with my whole weight pushing down on the tine and it won't be enough on its own.

I can stand on mine and the bike won't move if I get it wrong that's why it's important to learn the technique 

It's a hard one to explain its a quick action with force and it will pivot up on to the stand. 

I struggled for months to get it right 

It's years since I had the GS, but I seem to remember that with my 9st 3lbs of bulk applied to the stand, a gentle tweak on the bars was all that was needed to lift the bike onto the stand. I don't understand how it ever worked, given it was 4 times my weight.

Not got a centre stand any more, so I've probably lost the knack.

I think it depends on the bike also. 

My MT09 Tracer was a bitch to get on the center stand and it’s a fairly light bike. 
I had trepidations when I first got the VK1, but it’s easier to get that on than the Tracer ever was. Almost 250kg with a full tank. 

8 hours ago, bonio said:

It's years since I had the GS, but I seem to remember that with my 9st 3lbs of bulk applied to the stand, a gentle tweak on the bars was all that was needed to lift the bike onto the stand. I don't understand how it ever worked, given it was 4 times my weight.

Not got a centre stand any more, so I've probably lost the knack.

I can get mine onto the centre stand easily - I’m 74kg - when it’s devoid of luggage. On tour, fully loaded, it’s a bit of a struggle so I then to just leave it on the side stand until the luggage is off the bike. This device would be most welcome. 

I have little problems lifting my 300kg Pan onto the stand.

As @Stu says, it's all in the technique and know how to put your weight on your foot while standing on the centre stand.

I would imagine each bike have it's own "trick". On all of them, practice makes perfection. :thumb:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, husoi said:

I have little problems lifting my 300kg Pan onto the stand.

As @Stu says, it's all in the technique and know how to put your weight on your foot while standing on the centre stand.

I would imagine each bike have it's own "trick". On all of them, practice makes perfection. :thumb:

My ST1100 was much easier to get on the centre stand than my GS is. The centre stand arm is much shorter, giving less leverage (thank you Archimedes). 

• Like 1