FZ8 rear brake binding - Despite service

jedibiker

Hey all.

So I gave the wifes bikes rear brake a service as it looked manky as hell.

New seals, pads and fluid, cleaned piston. and after maybe 200 mile it wants to bind on more than it should

These are a weird fitment as sit on a ledge as such not giving great movement.

Cleaned the pin again today and gave it once over, but What else could I be missing here.?

it does live outside so the wash it gets when we get home may not have helped. I have to admit to not drying off the brakes as we were in a rush last time losing light. If that could be a cause.

Thinking im keeping on top of things then feel a but useless..

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Can you get a picture of the caliper? 

Usually if its had new seals etc then it would be the slide thats sticking 

yeah Il grab one today. I do suspect the way the top of the pads sit on a housing not attached to the caliper is the issue, its a metal plate that sits on aluminium cast. have cleaned it but it seems like a weird design

this stays on for caliper clean or if the wheel stays on. the lip at the back towards the gromit is where they sit, but a steel shiny plate sits there.

a mate asked if too much fluid in the res, id  not considererd that at all

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 08.36.47.png

11 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

A dud hose can cause brakes to seize on. They collapse internally making in effect a one way valve. The fluid can move to apply the brakes but then flow back to release them. 

That makes alot of sense. the bike she got is lovely but has not been well maintained in general.

Fluid was a little high too which certainly wont help.. rookie error

9 hours ago, jedibiker said:

this stays on for caliper clean or if the wheel stays on. the lip at the back towards the gromit is where they sit, but a steel shiny plate sits there.

a mate asked if too much fluid in the res, id  not considererd that at all

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 08.36.47.png

I would put something in the caliper between the pads and pump the brake and see if the piston retracts once released. You will notice as whatever you put in you should easily be able to take it out again. 

Did you clean out the rubbers where the slides go and did you grease them back up? they look a bit dry in that pic 

14 hours ago, Stu said:

I would put something in the caliper between the pads and pump the brake and see if the piston retracts once released. You will notice as whatever you put in you should easily be able to take it out again. 

Did you clean out the rubbers where the slides go and did you grease them back up? they look a bit dry in that pic 

Yeah I had new rubbers and greased inside well. The photo above is not mine and just to show the ledge for the pads. its off ebay. (i should have said)

Will try the test though, may treat her to new hoses

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Yeah I had new rubbers and greased inside well. The photo above is not mine and just to show the ledge for the pads. its off ebay. (i should have said)

Will try the test though, may treat her to new hoses

The ledge for the pads is normal although there is usually a metal/stainless steel bit that goes on there 

Its always wise to put a touch of copper grease on there too but that won't be the reason the brakes are sticking 

Also check that the brake lever is returning to the correct position and not sticking on slightly 

Forget the hoses until you have tried everything else although it can happen where they collapse its pretty rare and I am a firm believer in checking everything before spending money as you could just be chasing a fault 

6 hours ago, Stu said:

The ledge for the pads is normal although there is usually a metal/stainless steel bit that goes on there 

Its always wise to put a touch of copper grease on there too but that won't be the reason the brakes are sticking 

Also check that the brake lever is returning to the correct position and not sticking on slightly 

Forget the hoses until you have tried everything else although it can happen where they collapse its pretty rare and I am a firm believer in checking everything before spending money as you could just be chasing a fault 

Yeah i mentioned the plate but the photo is misleading really, just wanted to show where they sit, usually they sit all in the caliper and can move better. did add a very slight bit of grease this time

15 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Yeah i mentioned the plate but the photo is misleading really, just wanted to show where they sit, usually they sit all in the caliper and can move better. did add a very slight bit of grease this time

Its been a long time since I had a bike where the pads are in the caliper my most recent bikes all have a similar design to that one 

Anyway it can only be the pistons not retracting back in the caliper or the slides sticking thats causing it to bind 

I have twisted a seal when assembling calipers in the past which can cause them to stick too 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Its been a long time since I had a bike where the pads are in the caliper my most recent bikes all have a similar design to that one 

Anyway it can only be the pistons not retracting back in the caliper or the slides sticking thats causing it to bind 

I have twisted a seal when assembling calipers in the past which can cause them to stick too 

didnt it leak?

our last bikes were 2003 and 2006. This is a 2011 and my 2014 has a different back caliper but Ive not looked into that as its working perfect lol