Good second bike?

Oakesj103

Hi,

just wondering what people’s thoughts are on the Z800 or Z900 for a second bike?

Ive had a GSX650F for nearly a year and has been a brilliant first bike, however the looks of the bike have never been my style, I much prefer the looks of a naked bike, so I started to look at the Z800, then for not a lot more money you can get the newer Z900, with not loads more power I’m wondering if this would be suitable for a second bike or is it a bit much for a newer rider? And is dropping around 6k on a bike a bit too soon to do it with only one season down?

any advice will be much appreciated.

• Like 1

It depends 100% on how you feel about the bike. Worst thing to do is to get a bike that scares you.

I knew a guy who rode dirt bikes well; he wanted a sports bike and so passed his test and got a Panigale straight out. He didn't take to it well, and within a few weeks he'd scared himself badly on a corner and gave up riding on roads altogether. Another guy I knew passed his test, went out and got himself a ZZR1400 straight out, loved it and rode miles and miles on it.

I'd say to go get yourself a test ride on a Z900 from a dealer. Take it out for an hour, or two if possible - give yourself time to get used to it. By the time your return it, you'll know if it's a bike you want to take home with you.

• Like 2

I think I was 18 months in when I got my 1200 Trophy.

As others have said it's your choice. Depends on your style of riding and confidence.

I would not go back to a naked bike, when the weather is chilly a little fairing makes a big difference.