Fuel tank always whining when warm

jedibiker

Hey all.

So my fuel tank keeps letting out a little whine as if the pressure has built up. Yesterday had the tank up and check the drain and breather pipe which are fine and not getting caught.

My old bike never did it, nor does my wifes. i cant seem to figure out how pressure is still building up.

19 minutes ago, Old-codger said:

If the bike is fuel injected could it be the tank is pressurised by the system and what you are hearing is as you stop the engine the pressure is vented.

it lives inside and sometimes if the kitchen gets warm it will set it off,. also did it when got home from a ride sunday. runs fine i just didnt want to ignore it if fumes are struggling to vent

Does sound like a clogged breather! 

After a long run stop and open the tank and see if you get a woosh of air in to the tank 

It could be early signs of a blocked breather which could give you a headache later on 

I'm not sure on this but do some bikes have a one way breather that would only allow it to vent at a set pressure? that would cause the noise too 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Does sound like a clogged breather! 

After a long run stop and open the tank and see if you get a woosh of air in to the tank 

It could be early signs of a blocked breather which could give you a headache later on 

I'm not sure on this but do some bikes have a one way breather that would only allow it to vent at a set pressure? that would cause the noise too 

the breather pipe is ok but im now thinking its blocked inside somewhere.

33 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

the breather pipe is ok but im now thinking its blocked inside somewhere.

Just bear in mind that the breather that runs to under the bike may well just be an overflow pipe and not a breather 

Some breathers are built in to the lock cap 

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just bear in mind that the breather that runs to under the bike may well just be an overflow pipe and not a breather 

Some breathers are built in to the lock cap 

yeah theres 2, one is under and goes down which is the drain, the other goes to the back and is breather, managed to find a diagram to trace the holes. knew one was drain as had a bit of rust. going to see if i can push some air through the breather hole under cap.. but like you said it could be a valve anyway so il not force it

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 14:28, jedibiker said:

My old bike never did it, nor does my wifes. i cant seem to figure out how pressure is still building up.

My wife never whines either.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1