Solar panels for trickle chargers

Frosty

You don't need anything complicated.  I have a cheap panel I bought years ago which I use to keep bike, car and leisure batteries charged when necessary.  

A small panel will give a trickle charge that can be left permanently connected as they produce a low current.  

A fly lead connected to the battery makes life easier. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Agree with bullfrog.

depends on the set up you have or preparing to do.

Oxford products do one and they fit in the pocket (there the screen is) most of there bike covers if its goona stay on the bike if its outside?

If its for a garage to be loose /mounted to the wall owt small smallish will do, if the bikes got a vampire (tracker or alarm/immobiliser) it should still just be just enough to keep it from deaths door. But id keep checking it through winter especially if its for a lithium battery. 

The problem I find with solar cells chargers is the fact winter days are short and won't be able to keep the battery charged during winter when the bikes are stored away.

For the shadow isn't much of a problem as there is nothing draining the battery.

On the Pan the HISS will flatten the battery in less than a week.

All depends on the set up....

Placement, how much light and what time is light expected? And the efficiency of the panel.

whats the battery and they drains expected.

1a) lead acid connected to the bike with no particular draw (no immobiliser /alarm etc). Will be fine left alone or with a solar.

1b) lead acid with medium draw (immobiliser etc). Should be good with solar.

1c) lead acid with high draw (alarm /tracker etc). Id keep an eye on it and check its health every two weeks / month to be sure.

Leads capacity's are generally very good but they do self discharge abit quicker. 

Lithium's capacity are very poor so it doesn't take much to kill them with a draw and they cant be recovered if they drop to low volt of of below 9v. 

2a) lithium connected to the bike with no particular draw (no immobiliser /alarm etc). Will fine.

2b) lithium with medium draw (immobiliser etc). Solar ok but keep an eye every few weeks / month.

2c) lithium with high draw (alarm /tracker etc). Defo solar (but better would be electricity charger) and Keep an eye every week.

if you have a lithium which are fussy buggers also they dont like to freeze which spikes them "potentially explode". its a or b id personally just disconnect the battery and leave it as it is, their self discharge is extremely low. If you are wanting to stay with it connect you could just swap it out for a lead just while its winter nap and swap back out to lith for riding season.

Hi,

I can recommend these, used for a few years now, as long as your battery is in good health to start with. I think they are great for the money.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/206242

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough I was just setting my 5w monocrystalline panel up to connect to the bike for camping trips so I can charge the phone.

It makes about 250ma in sunshine. I put an optimate plug onto it so it goes straight to the battery.. 

No solar controller needed. 

20230911_095225.thumb.jpg.aa93b63a4f8054a16fab25afb8271ea8.jpg

• Thanks 1