Newbie ride from London to Slovakia (Michalovce)

jmcl

Hello all,

I thought I'd post here to get some help on a trip that I am planning in August from London to Slovakia. I will attempt this on my CBR500R (12k mileage) which will have a full service before the trip. I am currently on an A2 licence. I'm 22 with about 1 1/2 years experience. I understand this may not be an easy trip. I will be looking to wild camp along the way. I have a full hammock/tarp set up and at the moment the only storage my bike has is a back box.

My girlfriend is originally from Slovakia and her family are travelling out there by car, and I've been told they can do it in a day and a half. The reason I mention this is that I will only be carrying what I need for the trip. 

Google maps has offered 3 alternative routes with similar times, however, I want to experience the best roads (and views, and places) possible in the least amount of time.

FDuRg6o.png

Lets call the routes stated as A, B, C respectively, from top to bottom.

A - running through France, Belgium, Netherlands (briefly), Germany, Poland then South into Slovakia

B - running through France, Belgium (Past Brussels), Germany (Past Cologne, Frankfurt, Nuremburg), Czechia then East into Slovakia.

C - running through France, Belgium (Past Brussels), Germany (Past Cologne, Frankfurt, Nuremburg), Austria (past Vienna), Hungary (past Budapest), then North into Slovakia

Questions -
What option would you take?

How many days would this realistically take?

Any good stops along the way for the options?

Is wild camping too dreamy, should I book campsites instead? Alternative, hotels.

Should I ride the route with least amount of borders?

Is there any points where I should take a diversion to follow some routes with good twisties? (happy to waste time on good roads, views, experiences)

Should I ditch the idea and just get in the car with them? 😅

I'd really appreciate any constructive input, thank you!

• Like 1

A day and a half is pretty lively for 1200 miles. At an average 60mph that’s 20 hours of driving, fine if you’re swapping drivers every couple of hours and blasting down the motorway. If I were doing it for pleasure (only done CBT but I’d take the convertible) I would take 5-6 days and have a couple of hotel stops as well as the wild camping. Mix up motorways with some nice twisty mountain bits and it’ll be fun.

• Thanks 1

As @Dombo is saying you're pushing too hard for a daily mileage.

Personally I would avoid France as much as possible and go via Belgium. Better roads and less maniac drivers.

Aim for 50 to 70 miles between stops on such sporty bike.

Stop as soon you start feeling uncomfortable on the seat. If you try to go a bit further, you only get tired quicker and will take longer to cover the distance.

I will be surprised if you can do more than 500 miles (top) a day. Count with heavy traffic for long periods and remember not only the UK have lots of roadworks.

When I did the Scotland - Croatia tour last year on a more touring dedicated bike than a cbr I never did more than 150 miles on a stretch and we're talking about a far more comfy bike. Still took me 3 days to get there.

Luggage, take only essentials and cut them in half. Any extra weight is dead weight that will slow you down.

Finally, maximize the range and try to fuel when stopping as much as possible.

Refueling stop won't count as rest as you will notice.

Other than that, I hope you have a blast :thumb: 

• Thanks 1

On 11/05/2023 at 11:51, jmcl said:

Questions -
What option would you take?

How many days would this realistically take?

Any good stops along the way for the options?

Is wild camping too dreamy, should I book campsites instead? Alternative, hotels.

Should I ride the route with least amount of borders?

Is there any points where I should take a diversion to follow some routes with good twisties? (happy to waste time on good roads, views, experiences)

Should I ditch the idea and just get in the car with them? 😅

I'd really appreciate any constructive input, thank you!

OK. Firstly, this is a great trip.  DON'T GO IN THE CAR!!!

Riding in Europe is an eye-opener whichever route you take. Personally, I would make the journey out as quick as possible to enjoy the Slovak hospitality with your contacts there and make the return leg a bit more meandering - if you have time, etc, etc. Make no mistake, even if you just grind the miles out on the Autobahn you will learn so much about your bike, see riding from a different perspective and whet your appetite for more. Yes, your girlfriend's family say they can do it in a day and a half in the car - that's pushing it! I used to drive to Poland and Czhechia quite a lot and I'd be looking at minimum two days. And don't forget, it's easier in a car, there's snacks and drinks on hand, stopping for breaks is easier because you just lock the doors and walk into the restaurant, not like on the bike where you have to faff about with gear and worry about people nicking stuff.

I would do it by leaving UK late afternoon/early evening by the Tunnel. It's so much quicker and easier than getting on a boat. Get into France and head for into Belgium and after maybe 100 miles rock up at a motorway hotel for the night. "Wild camping" may be your thing, it ain't mine, and I'd be worried about security. Also, in a hotel, you get a good night's kip, up early, breakfast and on your way by 07.30-ish. If you put in a decent day that day you'll have broken the back of the trip and be a good way there. Most of your luggage will be going in the car, you hardly need to take anything, just clean undies and waterproofs.

Don't worry about borders, I think all the routes you mention are through Schengen countries and there are no actual borders as such. If you go via Hungary you'll need a "Vignette" to stick on your bike for the motorways, i.e. a toll sticker. get it at the border when you cross.

You have probably looked at all the document requirements but don't forget bike insurance, travel insurance, bike V5 and MOT (if it has one)

Hope this helps, have a great trip!!

• Thanks 1

Instead of you asking how much time this will realistically take. My question to you is: how much time do you have? On the face of it. For what appears to be a 21 hour non stop. I would want at least 4 full days to ride 1200 miles. 300 miles per day. To arrive fairly relaxed. Not completely worn out some time on day 4. So 3 nights camping. Ideally as much as possible over the weekend. Leave Friday morning and arrive sometime on the Monday. 

I can’t say I’m particularly impressed by any of the google maps suggestions. I’ll have a think about something better tonight. It can definitely be better. More pleasurable. A tad more ‘direct’ maybe… Too much flat ‘plain’ for my taste. I'll post my ideas when (or if) you return to the forum and post again.

but yes. 4 days.

I wouldn't wild camp unless something happened and I really needed to press on. and it was getting towards dusk and a spot appears (as if by magic) I can't envision starting a day without a shower.

I wouldn't care about borders. but I would definitely want to mix it up each day. some motorway. some fast A roads and some more interesting bits that link the two.

If you really can manage 4 days then its definitely feasible to add some nice roads. But, do bear in mind this will add time and you might need to really press on further on to 'catch up' there's always a price to be paid.

if you have.. or can justify buying a proper sat nav before you go.. it doesn't need to be the latest and greatest. 5 year old - second hand off eBay is great. if you can manage that, then this would make the entire trip much more 'stress free'. I definitely would not want to rely solely on a phone. or even paper maps. for a trip like this. Makes finding things like fuel. camp sites. somewhere to eat or buy food much easier without the faff. campsites don't need to be booked. not for a single. they will always have room and if not.. just carry on to the next nearest. 

Things you will need.

Motorcycle travel insurance.

European roadside assistance.

A Europe friendly credit card. I would definitely recommend a Halifax Clarity. And then pay it off before they begin adding interest.

A few documents. related to the bike. originals - not copies.

And a few other very minor and inexpensive things. no big deal.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OldEssexMan said:

Don't worry about borders, I think all the routes you mention are through Schengen countries and there are no actual borders as such. If you go via Hungary you'll need a "Vignette" to stick on your bike for the motorways, i.e. a toll sticker. get it at the border when you cross.

And Austria !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

if you have.. or can justify buying a proper sat nav before you go.. it doesn't need to be the latest and greatest. 5 year old - second hand off eBay is great. if you can manage that, then this would make the entire trip much more 'stress free'. I definitely would not want to rely solely on a phone. or even paper maps. for a trip like this.

Wholeheartedly agree !  Don't speed in Austria.  If stopped by the cops don't argue....any cops.  They carry real guns over there and they know how to use them.

• Thanks 1

Looks like a great trip! But keep in mind that riding a bike is a lot more tiring than driving a car: I've done 750 miles in a car straight after a day's work - but I've never covered much more than 400 miles on bike even by riding all day. So 1200 miles on a bike - that's a minimum of 3 long days in my reckoning, or 4 days done with more comfort and better roads (i.e. fewer motorways).  

Routes. My approach would be: avoid large towns or cities (or use motorways to get through them quickly) and head for the hills wherever there are some nearby. Avoid anywhere flat like Holland (sorry Dutch people, but there's no pleasure to be had riding your roads) or the Danube valley. After that, it's balance between getting there quickly enough and enjoying the roads while you're doing it.

Don't forget: take some pics and come back here to tell us how it all went.

• Thanks 1

My route would only involve one 'possible' vignette. for Austria €5 I think it is. but if you don't have to then why would you?

A fair amount of motorway.. which is unavoidable. but through a better landscape that would be quite varied, with a bit.. or a fair bit of Alpine goodness thrown in. And a gentle final wander through Slovakia to your destination. maybe no motorway at all for that part. which would save you another small fee for the toll vignette. for example. from the border near Bratislava to the end point, avoiding motorways is  290 miles and will take about 6 hours.

day one would be from the tunnel to the Rhine. near Karlsruhe, Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany - 360 miles. mostly free motorway aside from the last part to campsite. That last part is a treat. lovely region called the Pfalzwald.

day two would be crossing Germany to the Austrian Border. near Salzburg. A lot of Autobahn. 302 miles.

day three would be through Austria to the Slovak border 240 miles, near Bratislava. no motorways

day four as above... through Slovakia to the end. 290 miles no motorways.

petrol/comfort breaks and an hour for lunch and a proper break. makes it easier.

that would be the basics and then just a matter of nailing down the nitty gritty. my usual strategy is when I'm approaching. 20 miles or so from the overnight. just ask the sat nav to take me to a campsite.  and roll up. usually well before Dusk.

two relatively long and ok days. and then two very nice and far more interesting days. winding your way through Austria and then Slovakia would be the high point.. just a bit of a slog to achieve that and have a full day for both

for the return.. well the ride there will have given you something to think about, you could do kinda the opposite, maybe see more of Austria and then across to the black forest and then use the French toll motorway for a final dash across to the tunnel, there are really so many options. same sort of thing - around about 300 miles per day... more or less.  use motorways when you want to crack on and then get off them when you have time.. or make time.

or you could just go for it. 2 to 3 days to get back in a hurry. decisions decisions.

and then maybe start thinking about a less frenetic tour next year, if you get the taste for it.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a great route. Good balance of motorway / non-motorway. No day so long that you don't want get back on the bike the day after.