Winter Storage

JBone

Hi,

Newby to all this!

I've had a new bike for just over a year now and wondered what is the best way to protect it during the winter or just long stood periods. (I have had no problems, only heard of what problems I could have if not delt with properly such as tank corrosion, fuel lines, rust, etc.)

Thought I would try the real people with bikes and experience to shed some light.

Any information or advise would be humbly received.

Thanks guys.

I didn't ride the XJR much over winter. Gave it a coat of weather protection (XCP / ACF50). Brimmed the tank with super and left it under cover in the garage on an Optimate battery maintainer. I did fire it up every now and again. If it wasn't on the centre stand I might have shuffled it about a bit if worried about tyre flat spots although not sure how much of an issue that would actually be.

I have a bike I ride all year round which means the Bobber tends not to get used during the winter.

I use ACF50 on it applied with a rag. 

Keep the tyres pumped up to the correct pressures. If I know it's not going to be used for ages I put it on a lift to raise the wheels off the ground but those times when it's been on the ground I've never had an issue so long as the pressures are good.

I use a CTEK 0.8A battery charger.

Top up the tank with E5 fuel. (Due to a family issue last winter I left it with a tank of E10 which made no difference, it fired up fine after 5 months) But for the small cost E5 is a better bet.

I don't fire up the engine, no need to. But I do turn on the ignition monthly to cycle the fuel pump. If left longer it whines on start up.

Cover it with a breathable cover. 

Pretty much what has already been said, but the best thing you can do is ride it.  If you do ride it though make sure it's ready for the winter, and looked after during the winter months.  Prepped with ACF50, washed off regularly, especially after being ridden when road salts are down, I use something called salt away, used for the marine industry but it can be pretty much used on anything.  Pay particular attention to your chain and make sure it's cleaned and lubed properly.  Don't forget yourself as well, decent quality waterproof, warm gear, makes all the difference when riding in the crappy weather.

If you do store it, preferably under cover of a garage or shed.  Clean the bike thoroughly first then apply a liberal coating of ACF50, I usually use a rag if applying anywhere near the brakes or discs, don't be afraid to get it on the plastic parts of your bike.  Top the fuel of with E5 as Mississippi said, or use a fuel stabiliser.  Plug it in to a battery optimiser, optimate is a good choice, or remove the battery altogether (it'll still need maintaining though).  Pump tyres to correct pressures and keep the bike on it centre stand (Rotate the front wheel occasionally) or use front and rear paddock stands (help prevent flat spots).  Last but not least, cover the bike with a breathable cover.  The only bike I ever really stored was a Fireblade I had some years ago, I used to also change the oil and filter prior to storage.  If you do store it in a garage or shed, a low wattage (cheap to run), garage heater also helps keep the condensation away.