Mature novice - where do I start with bike choice

Interference Fit

If you can't get to a shop, then Sportsbikeshop, and GetGeared are both reliable online shops with free returns (boots can be heavy, so this is worth having). You have to be patient to go down the online route: I've just bought a new pair as my old ones were worn out, and it took 5 pairs to find a one that fitted.

What to look for? Mid-calf boots are supposed to give the best protection: too short and they could wrench the ankle, too long and they could wreck the knee. Avoid laces (or take care they don't get trapped in the chain). As for style: I'd say go for touring boots - which look a bit like black wellies - and avoid "urban boots", which are touring boots with more style and less protection. Finally brands: can't think of any specifically to aim at or to avoid, but I'd have thought anything by RST, IXS, Rev'it, Fuygan, Held, Alpinestars would be fine.

Thanks everyone.

Re clothing, I'm going to need the lot, (although I already have a helmet for my Caterham) so will probably make a journey up to my nearest SportsBikeShop and 'add to cart'.

Regarding bikes, following the last few weekends and a really good day out today sitting on all sorts, I'm narrowing down what I'll test ride to just a few now.

Top of the charts now having done the rounds is the Honda Hornet. I was hoping to like the CBR650R, but I have finally accepted that other than looking pretty, a sports bike is of no use or comfort to me. The Hornet just felt great and is mega value for money right now.

The crazy wild card that I looked at purely to satisfy myself they were just a toy and not to be taken seriously was the KTM Duke 890. How wrong was I, what a machine. Probably way too much for a novice but similar to the Hornet, felt like a bit of me. I did try the 390/790 but they did not feel premium at all and I can definitely see where the extra money goes on the 890. Whether it's worth the premium over the Hornet is debatable, despite being very different machines aimed at different audiences and budgets. 

Sat on a very fetching but used Ducati Monster 821, but could sense its age and older technology so not sure it would be a good stating point.

Didn't feel it with any of the Kawasakis and sitting on the GSX 8S again directly after the Hornet cemented the Hornet as my preference.

Worthy of note is just how much I liked the Suzuki SV650 in a honest and charming way, but the Hornet just looks and feels much better value.

Can't wait to get cracking with the CBT and then DAS lessons.

Edited by Interference Fit
  • Like 3