Mature novice - where do I start with bike choice

Interference Fit

I'm in my 40's and just starting my UK DAS process toward getting my first ever bike.

I'm enthusiastically watching endless youtube bike reviews and have started visiting bike showrooms to get a feel of what I might like as a first bike, but I'm getting lost in the mix and could do with some advice as what I read can be very conflicting at times.

I'm 6'4" which I'm realising is a factor to consider having now sat on a good few bikes.

The bike will only be used for local weekend rides of no more than an hour at a time, purely for fun - I'm not interested in touring, track days or any kind of off road activity - this will purely be a road bike for pleasure.

Whilst I love sports cars and currently have a Caterham, I know that I need to be sensible with a bike and not bite off more than I can chew. I'm rather level headed, boring and sensible and will not be trying to wheelie or any other kind of shenanigans - I just want to ride, have fun and enjoy it, as safely and easily as possible.

Perhaps if I share my thoughts and observations so far, those who have been through my journey might be able to steer me back on track or away from disaster?

Big priority (perhaps wrongly) is the bike has to be visually appealing - if I don't like the look, then I don't think I'd go for it. To give you an idea of the fantasy bikes that set my pulse racing, it's things like the MV Augusta Rush or Dragster, the Panigale, the Triumph Rocket 3R, the Diavel V4 etc - all scream character and drama, but I know none of them are even remotely appropriate for an inexperienced rider, however they point toward what visually resonates. 

Following reviews, I visited a few showrooms to sit on some bikes for an initial ergo and gut check. These have been my findings so far:

Honda:

Rebel 500 - far too small, don't like forward controls at all, so most if not all cruisers are out

CB500R - liked it, but felt a bit 'pretend' and also a bit too small

CB500F - Fitted very well indeed, really comfy, but I looked ridiculous on it, like I was riding a child's bike - just too small for me

CB500X - Much more like it - probably the sensible choice, but, not 100% on the looks

750 Hornet - Mmmm, can't put my finger on it, but just didn't hit the spot despite similarities with the 500X/F

Triumph:

Trident - Felt like a more refined bike than the Hondas but again, just a bit too small / cramped for my height and I looked/felt a bit silly on it

Street Triple 765RS - Wow, loved this but felt very intimidated by it and it's power/performance potential and know deep down it would not be a good choice for me

Tiger 660 - didn't have one to try but might be a good option?

Ducati:

Monster - Decent all round, just didn't feel quite like me and not massively into the looks

Super Sport - Lovely, but again, bit cramped and intimidating / inappropriate

Suzuki:

SV650 - This felt the most appropriate and sensible so far, fitted well and didn't intimidate, preferred it to the Monster as still had the old school tube frame, but is it long in the tooth now?

GSX 8S - Really liked this although styling perhaps one that would grow on me. Again, a great fit, comfy and didn't intimidate

Aprillia:

Tuono 660 - Very nice, very comfy but a bit of a mix of styles, not sure what it is and next to the RS660, it was soon forgotten - also probably too much for a new rider?

RS660 - Fell in love. Totally. Yes, a bit 'on the wrists', but was soo gorgeous and comfy, I'd want to forgive it everything. But again, probably one for a couple of years time?

BMW:

F900R - Liked this, felt very grown up and about the right size and comfort, but perhaps a bit much for a novice?

F900XR - As above but felt even more appropriate for my height, if a little intimidating size wise and again, a bit much for inexperienced riders?

Wanted to sit on a GS310 but didn't have one on site

KTM:

Just not for me, any of them.

So, other than not sitting on the BMW GS310 or Triumph Tiger 660, my thoughts are that the Suzuki SV650 and the GSX-8S felt the most comfortable, did not feel intimidating, felt appropriate and unlikely to tempt me to push beyond my own limits too soon. The sensible choice as it were, whilst I dream of an Aprillia RS660?

Had a look at a few Kawasakis but none floated my boat and I don't like the Yamaha MTs.

Am I on the right track here or am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

If I were to go for say a Honda CB500X or GS310, would I be wanting to upgrade too soon, or is that actually a good thing to build up slowly into bigger bikes?

Can people start off on a bigger more powerful bike and still successfully learn to be safe, competent riders?

All suggestions, pointers and experiences welcome.

Edited by Interference Fit

Tricky to advise as much of your requirement is subjective.

I own an old SV650S and I find it a bit cramped after a while. I’m 5’ 9” (ish) so I’d anticipate you might have a similar issue after even a short distance of riding. However, you’re a lot younger than me and you’re only looking to do short runs on it so that may be moot.

As an aside. I originally bought a bike purely for commuting. The thought of using it for any leisure activity never crossed my mind.  Oh dear. How wrong was I? EG. I did 8,000 miles last year including a 3,300 mile tour “sur la continent”. It can become a very involving pastime. 

I'd think somewhere around a 500-600cc would be a reasonable start, fast enough but not OTT.

The GS310 is only around 34hp , not dissimilar to my Ninja 250, its fine if you just want to keep up with traffic but useless at overtaking once above 50mph or so. 

Have you looked at insurance? This may rein in your wish list.

A guy at work passed his DAS last year and was gifted an old 600cc Thundercat and gets on with it fine.

Same as cars really, age, experience, location etc.

I'm 59 , lowish risk area and insured 5 bikes FC inc an R1 for £340.

Then again I insured my e46 m3 for £123.

Lots of online sites can give you a ball park figure before you set your heart on something.

Insurance can be expensive for your first year riding - no NCD and you're a high risk. It comes down steeply in year 2. Definitely worth getting some quotes to save heartbreak later.

I think an SV650 will be too small for you. The bike is more than powerful enough, but I'd imagine (and at 5' 7", I can only imagine...) it'll always feel like being on a monkey bike. I think the Street Triple will be too small too (ask @Bungleaio). But it's a subjective thing... this is from reddit

image.thumb.png.0f50510657ecf1d5eaf0a3a759913b73.png

The tip about the forks is a good one.

TBH, I'm struggling to think of a bike to suggest. Seems to me you like sportsbikes and nakeds, but these tend to be either small in size or wild in nature. I should be saying to you to try a Versys 650, or a F650GS but they would just make you want to retch. The BMW F900R is a pretty good idea. Although it's a reasonably powerful bike, it's one that's quite forgiving; it won't throw you off if you get something a bit wrong. Some people suggest an MT07 or an XSR700 for tall blokes, so they might worth checking out too.

All the best with it, and keep us updated.

• Like 1

I'm not sure you have said how much you're willing to spend. 

You were on the new hornet but have you tried the old one. You'd get a 2013 hornet or cbr600f under £5, probably closer to £4k and they are reliable, look good and forgiving to us newer hamfisted riders. 

Thanks for the replies. I'll be selling a classic car to fund this so will have up to about £10k to spend (less preferably) and don't have a particular preference between new and used.

From the static showroom trial fit, the SV650 (and a Monster 821) felt decent size wise as my legs are pretty average, it's my long back that makes me taller than average. 

I've read good things about the MT07 but I just can't get on with the looks. 

Would a used Monster 796 or 797 be a reasonable shout?

You say you are 6"4 but where's your height? I'm 6"3 but I only have 32 inch inside leg, my height is in the torso, it makes a difference to what bike you might look at.

You're a bit like me and are coming to biking late and are presumably doing it just for the fun of it rather than for necessary transport. I know you've said you only want to do hour long rides but don't rule out going out for full days, weekends or full weeks away. It's very addictive.

I wouldn't get too hung up on what bike to buy at the moment, just buy something that will do the job and give you experience whilst you actually work out what sort of bike you really want. The MT07 will do this very well and should fit you fairly well too. one from 2017/18 should be fairly cheap to buy and not lose much money over 12 months,

I had an MT07 for my 1st bike but I soon changed to a Triumph Street Triple RS, nothing wrong with the MT07 but I got offered a deal on the Street that I couldn't turn down. I covered 14k miles on that in 18 months, as fantastic as it was it was just too small for me. I have since moved on to bigger bikes which fit me so much better, they are just as thrilling to ride and I don't have to fold myself up to ride them.

The visual appeal is something I understand but you can't see it when you're riding it and the riding is the whole point of passing your test. Don't spoil your enjoyment of riding just to get a pretty bike, plus in 12 months time you might find that what you want to do on a bike is not what you think you want now. If you want something good to look at just get some sort of sports bike to look at in the garage but don't try and ride it as it'll be as uncomfortable as hell.

1 hour ago, Bungleaio said:

You say you are 6"4 but where's your height? I'm 6"3 but I only have 32 inch inside leg, my height is in the torso, it makes a difference to what bike you might look at.

You're a bit like me and are coming to biking late and are presumably doing it just for the fun of it rather than for necessary transport. I know you've said you only want to do hour long rides but don't rule out going out for full days, weekends or full weeks away. It's very addictive.

I wouldn't get too hung up on what bike to buy at the moment, just buy something that will do the job and give you experience whilst you actually work out what sort of bike you really want. The MT07 will do this very well and should fit you fairly well too. one from 2017/18 should be fairly cheap to buy and not lose much money over 12 months,

I had an MT07 for my 1st bike but I soon changed to a Triumph Street Triple RS, nothing wrong with the MT07 but I got offered a deal on the Street that I couldn't turn down. I covered 14k miles on that in 18 months, as fantastic as it was it was just too small for me. I have since moved on to bigger bikes which fit me so much better, they are just as thrilling to ride and I don't have to fold myself up to ride them.

The visual appeal is something I understand but you can't see it when you're riding it and the riding is the whole point of passing your test. Don't spoil your enjoyment of riding just to get a pretty bike, plus in 12 months time you might find that what you want to do on a bike is not what you think you want now. If you want something good to look at just get some sort of sports bike to look at in the garage but don't try and ride it as it'll be as uncomfortable as hell.

Thanks - same as you, long in the torso, 33" inside leg. 

Being true to myself and reflecting on years of classic/interesting car ownership, a lot has to do with aesthetics and pride of ownership. I get as much pleasure cleaning, tinkering, maintaining  and polishing as I do driving. I like things that are a bit special, even at the expense of functional performance. I like to look at something and think, yeah, I own that. In car speak, the Honda NSX is a better car than the Ferrari 348 in every single measurable way - on paper, to own, to drive - a better car all round. But I'd spend my money on the Ferrari every day of the week and twice on Sunday because it just feels (emotionally) far more special. 

3 hours ago, Bungleaio said:

This is true.

2 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

In car speak, the Honda NSX is a better car than the Ferrari 348 in every single measurable way - on paper, to own, to drive - a better car all round. But I'd spend my money on the Ferrari every day of the week and twice on Sunday because it just feels (emotionally) far more special. 

This is also true.

Only you can tell where the balance lies between the two. But don't be surprised if the balance point shifts during your first years of riding. It is additive.

I've mainly owned ugly bikes, because for me being on the bike is 90% of the pleasure. That said, I'd weep to own a Daytona 675 - they are just that gorgeous - but it would eventually make me sad, as I wouldn't be able to ride it for more than 20 minutes at a time. The MV I have now is probably the best bike for me: it may be the ugliest MV money can buy, but it is still a very beautiful machine and I can ride all day in comfort.

177868405_20210409_130818_001(1).thumb.jpg.41d76adf60aa81a331fc3b2f1cd55f94.jpg   

Edited by bonio

6 hours ago, bonio said:

This is true.

This is also true.

Only you can tell where the balance lies between the two. But don't be surprised if the balance point shifts during your first years of riding. It is additive.

I've mainly owned ugly bikes, because for me being on the bike is 90% of the pleasure. That said, I'd weep to own a Daytona 675 - they are just that gorgeous - but it would eventually make me sad, as I wouldn't be able to ride it for more than 20 minutes at a time. The MV I have now is probably the best bike for me: it may be the ugliest MV money can buy, but it is still a very beautiful machine and I can ride all day in comfort.

177868405_20210409_130818_001(1).thumb.jpg.41d76adf60aa81a331fc3b2f1cd55f94.jpg   

Gorgeous, and yes, I'm open minded as to a potential shift in preferences.

In terms of pure theatre and visual appeal, I'd have a hard time deciding between a Ducati Street Fighter and a MV Dragster, but thankfully I'm now of an age and level of wisdom to accept that as a novice, I might as well order the flowers at the same time as the bike if I were to be so foolish. And this is where I'm torn. Sensible head says just get a small 300-500cc bike for a year and see how you get on, then use that as a contextual frame of reference for years 2 and beyond when insurance and experience are improved. And if so, which one. Hence thread.

Edited by Interference Fit
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

Thanks - same as you, long in the torso, 33" inside leg. 

Being true to myself and reflecting on years of classic/interesting car ownership, a lot has to do with aesthetics and pride of ownership. I get as much pleasure cleaning, tinkering, maintaining  and polishing as I do driving. I like things that are a bit special, even at the expense of functional performance. I like to look at something and think, yeah, I own that. In car speak, the Honda NSX is a better car than the Ferrari 348 in every single measurable way - on paper, to own, to drive - a better car all round. But I'd spend my money on the Ferrari every day of the week and twice on Sunday because it just feels (emotionally) far more special. 

I get your analogy but you don't need to achieve the ultimate dream from the start. I'm not saying that you need to get a slow bike but as you're looking for your first bike whateer you get will be special. Even if you only keep it for 6 months it will be 6 months of valuable experience. 

That said if you can afford to go for the top from the start then why not go for it. The bike will only go as fast as you make it. 

This is a good read for an example of not doing anything sensible. Learning to ride so you can buy a Desmo is a bonkers plan but this guy did it - https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=74&t=1348262&i=0

The other thing to mention is that very few riders every find their ideal bike first time round. It's only once you start riding that you find out what really works for you. So maybe be prepared to buy something to start with and expect it won't be THE bike of your dreams. 

• Like 2

I agree with the above! 100%. In your position I would buy a 2nd. hand, middle of the road 500/600,

ride it for a few months maybe even a year, then decide.

This would also help with insurance costs etc:thumb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The other thing to mention is that very few riders every find their ideal bike first time round. It's only once you start riding that you find out what really works for you. So maybe be prepared to buy something to start with and expect it won't be THE bike of your dreams. 

Yup not going to disagree and bike usage might not be what you expect.

I started in similar shoes for a FZ6N Naked loved the bike plenty of go.  

However I found myself riding all year and it was naked so fooking freezing and wet.

Then I ended up with a Burgman 500 Scooter as I started commuting on the bike (loved the bike hated the commuting), job changed bike got sold.

Next my misses started going pillion. So a Triumph Trophy was next love the bike. But it's 250kg give or take to much for local riding.

Then came along a TDM 900 I had it for 5 years. Misses was never comfy on it so I kept the Trophy. Cracking bike certainly one you should look at as first bike, can be picked up for 2k they are good all rounders. Till you get a years no claims bonus and have more ideas how you want to ride. Even if it meant my first bike at 600 was quicker it still got sold 

Then along came my little Honda 125cc to compliment my Trophy.

My riding idea was the same as yours local fun rides.  Now I use my bikes all year and most weather's to commute on.  They do as many miles as the car. I have been half the length of the country on it and still look to go look at the rest. 

My suggestion is any acceptable 2nd hand bike. Go low budget as it will end up on its side.  Don't think I mean high speed, forgotten side stand anyone? Unexpected camber in road at traffic lights? Dropped whilst cleaning?

I would say same for gear buy low to mid range.  Decide what you like to wear them buy better as you progress.  Then you will know if you want leathers, textile, denim or the many other choices out there.

You keep your originals as spares.

• Like 2

I dont want to sound like a bit of a buzzkill, but having had a full driving licence for 42 years and cycled at all levels since i was 11, got my first bike last year, and took my theory at the same time as my CBT. my initial thought was to do a DAS immediately after my CBT, however it soon became apparent how much i had to learn about riding a motorbiker and feeling in control and safe especially with so many dimwits on the road lol, so have ridden my 125 since then doing 6000 miles or so, and TBH i'm glad i did, as i think jumping on a powerfull 100+mph bike with so little experience would'nt have been a smart move, at least for me, and the main thing i found out is that as a beginner you don't know what you dont know. I had a bit of a laugh when i read you wanted to ride for no more than an hour at a time, coz when i started i just didnt want to get off, in fact i think the shortest ride i've ever done has been about 3 hours, it's too addictive !!. anyhoo GL with whatever you decide, just get good protective gear and stay safe :)

• Like 2

Thanks all, appreciate the advice and guidance. 

One thing I will need from day one for the CBT is footwear that covers my ankles, which I don't have.

I'm size 12.5 and I'm already blinded by choice. Any recommendations in terms of style or brand to look for?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Interference Fit said:

One thing I will need from day one for the CBT is footwear that covers my ankles, which I don't have.

I'm size 12.5 and I'm already blinded by choice. Any recommendations in terms of style or brand to look for?

Need to try them on, what fits for one won't for another, this is where real shops come in handy.

My advice with bike PPE is go for middle price range if you are just starting out. In my opinion, if you go cheap you’ll end up paying twice. You do get what you pay for.

Sportsbikeshop is a great place to buy your kit if you have a store near you. If not, their delivery and returns policy is fantastic. 
Infinity Motorcycles is a close second. 

For a helmet, you need to determine not only the size of your head, but the shape. Certain helmet brands will suit your head shape which is good to know as depending on the info above it will narrow down your search criteria. 

Good luck with the DAS 

Edited by fullscreenaging

I’m the same height as you. I got a 125 to bumble about on for a few months after my CBT and then did my DAS which was a good move.

I went through the same thought process on what to get as a first bike and ended up going for something bigger. I’d say go for what you want rather than stick with something lower power as a first choice. You only use as much power as you want when you are riding. 

My first bike (which I still have and still love) was an Indian FTR. It’s by no means refined, lots of vibration, fueling is sometimes a bit variable but it’s absolutely brilliant fun. 

8 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

I buy a lot of my biking needs from Sportsbikeshop and they are very good in terms of quality, price and customer service.

However - when I'm buying clothing I nearly always go to J&S because you really need to try things on. The last jacket I bought I just wandered about trying different ones until I found one that just felt right. It turned out to be a brand I'd never heard of, was vastly cheaper than some of the big names, but has the right protective elements and is very comfortable. If I'd shopped online I'd never have considered it.

Boots and gloves in particular are really important to try on.

11 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

due to my extra wide feet i always have trouble finding comfy footwear of any description, and it was no different for the bike, so i used a pair of my walking boots - if you have some then maybe a good option till you find something you really like. GL

• Like 1