Sym Jet 4 125 - Not moving

maxrpg

Go to solution Solved by Grumpy Old Git,

Hi,

Seen as my other problem of engine not starting after scooter being sat for 2 years has been solved, thank you so much, I figured a new topic was best for my new problem.

Engine now turns over perfectly on first hit of ignition switch, however, when I turn the throttle the engine revs nicely, but nothing happens, the rear wheel doesn't spin.

This morning I took the CVT cover off and observed the following:

• Belt is not worn down and tension is good
  • Variator spins rapidly when engine starts - and the belt is spinning with it
  • I can spin the clutch by hand and the rear wheel moves with it

So at first glance it doesn't appear like anything is stuck, (image not of my CVT as forgot to take a pic before putting the cover back on)

CVTDT.thumb.JPG.b93f247bc762184f6320ae6a650ae452.JPG

While on the center stand, when I pull the throttle the scooter feels like it wants to move, I can feel some force trying to move the scooter, even though the wheel isn't on the ground, if that makes sense.

I couldn't do any further inspection because I don't have the right tools to take the variator/clutch off (ordering tools today).

I tried leaving the engine running for a little while, about 20 minutes, as someone suggested it may need to warm up a little, but now running low on fuel so had to stop doing that for now and it made no difference.

When the tools come tomorrow I can see if the weights maybe need replacing, I'm just going by what I've seen in youtube videos because I'm no mechanic. But while I'm waiting for the tools to come, can anyone make any suggestions as to what the issue could be, so that I can check tomorrow and go through a check-list.

Really appreciate your help all.

40 minutes ago, rennie said:

Is the back brake stuck on?

No, the wheel moves freely by hand.

If I turn the clutch bell with my hand the wheel spins with it, same as if I spin the wheel by hand, the clutch bell spins with the wheel, spinning the wheel makes the clutch bell turn faster than if turning the clutch bell to turn the wheel... if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Something between the belt and bell is not working, as the bell is directly connected to the rear wheel, so it will rotate when you turn the bell, and vice versa, turn wheel, bell turns. 

As already mentioned on here the centrifugal force from a spinning clutch is not engaging the thrust bearings, (for want of a better description) 

Okay, I got the variator off no problem, and then I moved on to the clutch. The clutch bell came off no problem, but the rest of the assembly won't come off the shaft.

I've spent all day pulling, wiggling, giving it a little hammering, praying, begging, and it just won't come off.

Any ideas please? - How can I get this thing off 😭

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

Sadly not, I've looked through it already.

As I say the entire clutch body spins freely, I can take the bell cap off, but the main spring body won't come off. It's not jammed or anything, I just can't seem to pull it off the driveshaft. As far as I know there are no cog type bits on that part of the shaft, that part of the shaft is flat and smooth, so I'm not sure why it's stuck.

Driving me crazy.

18 hours ago, Grumpy Old Git said:

Can you get a 'clutch puller' on it?

Or, maybe make a tool that will grip the clutch and screw down onto the end of the shaft (thereby pulling it off)?

I had the same idea and bought a cheap puller set off amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LFVPYE

The largest of the set worked a treat and I managed to get the assembly off the shaft very easily. Replaced the clutch with a new one, and now my scooter runs and the wheel turns great.

I'm so happy, you can only imagine the smile on my face when I finally got it up and running again.

I'm the happiest man alive right now, seeing that back wheel spin when I pulled the throttle was better than watching my first child being born 😀

All fixed. Thanks for all your help everyone.

• Like 5