My Honda CB100N project - “Rusty”

Posted (edited)

OK, so I have been working slowly through the mechanical elements, and have something that is beginning to look a bit like a motorbike!

So, I had already built the front end on the bench and got the front wheel on. I refitted the bushes to the swing arm and attached that, and refitted the rear wheel, the centre stand and rear brake lever. Had to use the old rusty shocks as the replacements I bought had 12mm (top) and 11mm (bottom) bushes, but the pins were both 12mm. WeMoto agree to refund - even six months after buying them - so I found alternatives which are now on order.

IMG_0413.jpeg

Connected up the rear drum brakes with the new shoes that were gifted to me by @Old-codger, and then added the rebuilt air box.

IMG_0420.jpeg

IMG_0429.jpeg

Then started on the clocks (new headlight on order so didn’t get far there) but I have test fitted some of the electrical components - mainly to confirm position and to label the wiring as I prepare the loom for refitting.

IMG_0443.jpeg

On this next one, you can just see the shaped, two pronged bracket I had to re-make. It fits!!

IMG_0442.jpeg

The Condenser is tucked neatly under the frame, but must be exposed to lots of water as the original was a rusty mess after years of riding.

IMG_0451.jpeg

Then the Ignition Coil attached on the opposite side, with the lead that will eventually go to the spark plug.

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0452.jpeg

Edited by GojuRyu5
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

So, now to the loom.  My first time here, so I’m working through which bits connect where and checking everything is where it should be - looks like someone has done a dodgy fuse replacement at some point, so I’m earmarking sections for repair / updates.  Once I have all the parts labelled and know where everything goes, I will get the multimeter out and pretend I know how to use it… Battery should arrive in the next few days, and my mate who knows more about soldering and wiring than I do (that’s not a particularly high bar, admittedly) is back from his holidays, so I’m hoping the planning and prep will pay me back for the time invested.

There are a couple of issues to fix straight away though, as the negative battery terminal connection was rusty and broke easily.  Also I have a mess of wires around the fuse to suss out.

IMG_0468.jpeg

IMG_0469.jpeg

Edited by GojuRyu5

Posted (edited)

So, now comes the time to ask for some help…. On the loom, I have a connection to what I THINK is the flasher unit (blue below), but can anyone identify / explain what the other piece of kit is (yellow below). 

IMG_0803.jpeg

The manual mentions a ‘Direction Indicator Relay’, and a separate ‘Indicator / Horn / Passing switch’ - which I know is not a reference to the handlebar switchgear based on it’s position on the circuit diagram. I’m assuming it is something to do with the indicator circuit, but haven’t got a clue what it does. Thoughts?

Edited by GojuRyu5

Posted (edited)

Here’s a better view of the wiring, not helped by a broken wire which I have yet to trace…  (please excuse the cable ties - that’s me holding stuff roughly in place so I don’t lose it on the bench). I may not be brilliant at electrics, but I DO know that making a circuit by cable tying wires together is fraught with issues…!

🤣🤣🤣.

image.jpg

Edited by GojuRyu5
  • Like 2

Hi @GojuRyu5 nice work so far by the way.

The thing on your photos looks like one of those audible indicator bleeper things which used to be fitted to Beemers and some large Kawasakis I wasn`t aware of them on UK spec honda`s but who knows if a previous owner may have fitted.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

The thing on your photos looks like one of those audible indicator bleeper things which used to be fitted to Beemers and some large Kawasakis I wasn`t aware of them on UK spec honda`s but who knows if a previous owner may have fitted.

Thanks Ian, that is interesting. There’s something on the wiring diagram that references German models only (although I can’t be sure at the moment if it refers to this particular part) - that may be an explanation.  I appreciate the feedback 😀

Posted (edited)

Further progress today, labelling the wiring loom to identify all the various components and actually digging them out of the parts box.  I have tried to clean connectors and have re-made the battery / fuse connections.  Still work to do, but I flicked the ignition on and both the headlight and taillight sparked into life which has to be a good sign.

IMG_0501.jpeg IMG_0500.jpeg

The indicators didn’t flash, but I think there is a break in the circuit near the flasher unit and I’m not confident that the ground / earth is set up correctly around the indicators, but it’s still early days. I still have to check end-to-end continuity on the various wires which I need to approach methodically, but the fact that there are some signs of life is better than I thought at this stage.

IMG_0499.jpeg

I found a new headlight that was a perfect match, so have added the housing to the frame - whilst the lens remains on the bench.

IMG_0491.jpeg

Edited by GojuRyu5
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

OK, more advice needed please if anyone has any thoughts. I’m planning ahead and thinking about how the rear mudguard is mounted (this wasn’t attached when I picked Rusty up, and there’s nothing in the manual about this).  I’m assuming it’s a bush of some sort, perhaps with a shoulder either side.  The hole is 16mm x 6mm deep and I need to insert a 6mm bolt through to attach the mudguard.

Can anyone describe the right bushing / rubber grommet that I might need? I’m a bit stuck.

IMG_0504.jpeg IMG_0505.jpeg

It is the bottom of two fixings on the below picture.

IMG_0506.jpeg

Thoughts? Is anyone familiar with the way these are mounted? Thanks in advance all.

Edited by GojuRyu5

Posted (edited)

OK, I think I found these, which look about right given what I can see - has anyone seen these before?

IMG_0805.jpeg

IMG_0807.jpeg

Edited by GojuRyu5

Those are fairly common. There's usually a metal sleeve runs through the middle. Sometimes the sleeve is welded to a washer so the whole thing looks a bit like a top hat. 

They use a very similar bush and sleeve on the radiator mounts of my CBF. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

OK, so CSMNL.com sold the mounts and sleeves, and they arrived today.  Perfect size, so I test fitted the rear mudguard. Still have to install the loom, which I’m still testing, so I haven’t adjusted the bolt lengths to complete the installation. Also the tail that holds the rear lights and rear indicators doesn’t seem to be as eBay advertised (1980 CB100N) - it’s possibly from a different year so that also needs an adjustment before final fix (I need to drill a couple of holes in the newly rechromed mudguard… aarrgh).  I’ve not seen another similar tail piece advertised on eBay over the last 12 months so I’m going to have to work with what I have. Once in position it’ll be fine.

IMG_0520.jpeg

Edited by GojuRyu5

Posted (edited)

Another drama was the steering lock. I have been waiting patiently (for nearly a year) for the original eBay seller to find the keys, and he contacted me recently to say he had them. Unfortunately, they weren’t the correct ones, and I was nervous that the lock might be engaged and I wouldn’t be able to unlock it. So I found a new lock on David Silvers, and have had to drill out the old one.

This was going well until I broke a drill bit as I gradually increased the drill size - I also just caught the corner of the frame at one point, so that wasn’t entirely as intended... (schoolboy errors).  But, one drift and a firm bashing later, I managed to remove it (phew), but then realised that you need the key to be able to engage the steering lock so I may not have needed to remove it (grrr!). But I have reinstalled the new lock and at least Rusty now has a working steering lock.

IMG_0521.jpeg IMG_0522.jpegIMG_0523.jpegIMG_0524.jpeg

I do need to touch up the frame in a few places after ‘interacting’ with parts like this, but it will look fine at the end.

Edited by GojuRyu5
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Further testing on the loom and was really pleased with the results.  Got a little bit to fix still, but now only small issues so it’s promising. The horn now works, the rear light, the headlight / high beam and parking light, and the lights that illuminate the clocks also come on.  The switch gear seems to function as expected which is also good news.  The indicators still don’t but this is one of the fixes I mentioned before as I think there is a break in the circuit near the flasher unit - which I’m tackling tomorrow night.  Once install, I’ll upload more pictures.

Edited by GojuRyu5
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

This is infuriating!

On the bench, everything worked on the loom apart from the indicators - they had power, the bulbs worked and they had ground, so it must be another issue in the circuit. Replaced the flasher unit, but still nothing, so assuming that I could puzzle this out later, I re-fitted the loom to the bike. Spent hours with my fingers in spots tighter than a proctological examination to feed the various cable runs into the headlight. Reconnected everything exactly as it had been in the bench, turned on the ignition and now the only thing that works are the lights in the Speedo and Tacho.  Not even the headlight which was fully functioning yesterday (low / high / park)…

I know I have a ground as continuity confirmed, so I guess I’m back to taking bits off and working through it all again.  😫

OK, partly in celebration, and partly because it may never look like this again, here is what is currently sitting in the garage…

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0545.jpegIMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0542.jpegIMG_0543.jpeg

IMG_0544.jpegIMG_0546.jpeg

IMG_0547.jpegIMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0549.jpegl

Edited by GojuRyu5
  • Like 3