Hard clutch

Tigs

Hi

I'm after advice really - I have a suzuki sfv 650 gladius 2010.  She has a very hard clutch - i'm looking into what I can do. I've oiled the clutch cable and adjusted it - but it still seems super strong.  I've heard I can 'grease the worm drive.. but will need to look into this.  I'm not sure if removing 'springs' is a 'novice' job or if I'd need to take it to a garage (or even if this is a good idea).

I've also wondered about after market levers - would these help? 

First thing look at the routing of the cable does it follow a smooth coarse with no kinks or sharp bends. Have you removed the cable to see if the inner moves freely, you would be surprised of the difference between an old and new cable.  How many miles has the bike done has it had a hard life with abuse to the clutch.

I haven't removed the clutch but it looks to run smoothly - I have been adding teflon lube to the clutch - and it is now running a fair amount smoother than it was. I may just have to get used to it (my old bike is a 125 and that has less 'pull' so to speak. 

I not worked on a SV650 but on my GSX600F the worm drive definitly needs to be greased. Be carefullif you takeot out it can fall apart and there are lotsof small ballbearings in it.

Also the clutch needs to be adjusted correctly. To do this slacken the cable off completely. Then adjust the screw in the worm drive untill there is no play, back off the screw 1/4-1/2 turn. Then adjust the cable untill there is 10-15mm free movement at the end of the lever.

• 4 weeks later...

on my wifes bike I got one of those cable lube things, gave it a really good spray through with gt85 and loads of crap came out. then I like to drop some engine oil in slowly and they runs smooth for miles.

As said it could just be old and done in. they are cheap ish to do.

after that maybe someone put heavy duty springs in it which makes the clutch harder to operate.

I think they mean if after lubing it it is still tough - maybe a previous owner put heavier springs in. 

My OH tweaked the bike and sys it is far smoother running - but I've bot been well so not been out on the bike for a bit - sad times.. Just feel well enough nowt the weather is getting a bit shite!

How old is the bike and how many miles? Youll know if they've be bodged by if the bolts at the case cover on the right side look worn/scuffed or damaged. 

most aftermarket ones tend to be stiffer unless they is an option from them or a different manufacturer. Otherwise is buying a oem.

Edited by RideWithStyles

Hi,

not sure if this has been mentioned but a lot of bikes nowadays, the cables have a teflon coating and don't need oiling. In fact oiling them just makes them stiffer because they collect dust and crap.

I'd go down the Old Codger route and take the cable off and see how knackered it is and maybe just get a new one.

Shorter levers will make no difference either.

Good luck, lovely day for it!