Bike learner sessions and CBT

Hi guys I looking for some advice and suggestions. Went for a taster session to learn how to ride a motorbike with gears so I could then go on to do the CBT. for a 125. I was only able to stand on tiptoes with the bike available at the center. You cannot use your own bike as you have not done the CBT ( I am 5' 1 inch). The guy said I needed to be able to have at least some of my feet on the floor to continue. There was no other choice of bike. In the past, I rode a bike safely for three years by moving from side to side when getting on and off. The issue did not arise then as I sold it before taking a  test. 

To some extent you can get around this with height increasing boots, or even these weird contraptions. But I'd agree with the above and try and find a school who can have smaller bikes available.

Either that or buy the bike you want and have it delivered to the school.

Have you rung bike sure - they might insure you for a day to get your CBT ... but you would need someone to get your bike to the center - for you to learn on (you'd be insured to drive under instruction).  If you ring them and explain they will give you advice (as a heads up 1 day was about £50 for me and 2 months was near £100).

I too would look around for other schools - ring and ask to sit on any lowered bikes they have - good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Legally you could of carried on.

but morally no? if you're not comfortable with barely tiptoes, you'll possibly hurt yourself and knock ur confidence.
the schools insurance would question the decision of the instructor to let you ride if you hurt yourself or really damaged the bike if they have to claim. 

youve got to remember that the instructor is responsible and liable to you and your actions while you're on their bike and at there school.

Possible the 125 could of had rear preload and turned it out.

Yeah find another school, explain your height and if they have a bike for your requirements would be the best thing.

Edited by RideWithStyles

That's a discouraging start:sad:

My missus did hers at a place where they had VanVans - a great bike for shorter riders. I'd phone around a few schools to say you're looking to do a CBT and do they have a bike for someone your height.

On 12/08/2023 at 16:05, Flick said:

Went for a taster session to learn how to ride a motorbike with gears so I could then go on to do the CBT. for a 125.In the past, I rode a bike safely for three years by moving from side to side when getting on and off. The issue did not arise then as I sold it before taking a  test. 

Sold it before taking a test? 🤔Slightly unusual.

Maybe gone back to scooter?  😕
Hopefully back with news later on?