Bike specs.

Steve_M

Just thinking ahead about which bike to buy to replace the GS. While itā€™s going to be a while, Iā€™m gett8ng to the point where I may need to start considering the weight of a bike and looking for something a bit more manageable.

Ā 

Hereā€™s a brain dump message to the bike industry if they care to listen. I hold the right to add to this as those things come to mind. Feel free to contribute.

Ā 

Iā€™ll be looking for a middleweight machine, say 750cc to 800cc, 200 - 220Kg. Producing, perhaps around 100PS and decent torque across the rev range - my old VFR800fiā€™s unit would hit this mark but I know emissions might be an issue.

Ā 

A comfortable, reasonably upright riding position with good legroom - the GS or my old Tiger1050SE fit that bill.

Ā 

Wind protectionā€¦ yes please, and no buffeting for this 5ā€™ 9 1/2ā€ tall rider.

Ā 

Gizmos: Cruise control, TCS, ABS electrically adjustable screen. A USB type port so I can plug and play my own choice of GPS, and a RAM mount somewhere sensible to mount it.

Ā 

Shaft drive. Or belt at a push.Ā 

Ā 

Luggage needs to be panniers and top box. The panniers to be of equal sizes, so no high level exhaust reducing the capacity of one of them. Yes, thatā€™s a key bugbear of mine with Adventure style of bikes. Edit. I knew I missed something important. A h pannier needs to be at least 35 litres with a usable internal shape. The top box, ideally, 52 litres (capable of holding two crash helmets)
Ā 

Under seat storage for those odds and sods you carry but only need occasionally. The Tiger1050SE had a lovely space for a disc lock, earplugs and tissues. I could fit a full on ABUS chain under the seat of my VFR , and a full set of waterproofs in a little compartment on my CX500ā€¦Ā 

Ā 

Small lockable (optional) cubby compartment neatly to hand. Ā Big enough to fit a Medium Costa coffee cup in. Not that Iā€™d be drinking while riding, I just struggled to express the size requirement in a visual manner. This for keys, Mars bars, small bottle of water. I found his really handy on my ST1100.

Ā 

Aesthetics. Not that bothered. Iā€™m not looking at it while Iā€™m riding it, though havin a pleasing looking bike in the garage is always nice.

Ā 

Iā€™ll add more later but it seems the sunshine and lawn mowing* are calling me.

Ā 

*I quite enjoy mowing the lawns.Ā 

Edited by Steve_M

3 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Just thinking ahead about which bike to buy to replace the GS. While itā€™s going to be a while, Iā€™m gett8ng to the point where I may need to start considering the weight of a bike and looking for something a bit more manageable.

Ā 

Hereā€™s a brain dump message to the bike industry if they care to listen. I hold the right to add to this as those things come to mind. Feel free to contribute.

Ā 

Iā€™ll be looking for a middleweight machine, say 750cc to 800cc, 200 - 220Kg. Producing, perhaps around 100PS and decent torque across the rev range - my old VFR800fiā€™s unit would hit this mark but I know emissions might be an issue.

Ā 

A comfortable, reasonably upright riding position with good legroom - the GS or my old Tiger1050SE fit that bill.

Ā 

Wind protectionā€¦ yes please, and no buffeting for this 5ā€™ 9 1/2ā€ tall rider.

Ā 

Gizmos: Cruise control, TCS, ABS electrically adjustable screen. A USB type port so I can plug and play my own choice of GPS, and a RAM mount somewhere sensible to mount it.

Ā 

Shaft drive. Or belt at a push.Ā 

Ā 

Luggage needs to be panniers and top box. The panniers to be of equal sizes, so no high level exhaust reducing the capacity of one of them. Yes, thatā€™s a key bugbear of mine with Adventure style of bikes. Edit. I knew I missed something important. A h pannier needs to be at least 35 litres with a usable internal shape. The top box, ideally, 52 litres (capable of holding two crash helmets)
Ā 

Under seat storage for those odds and sods you carry but only need occasionally. The Tiger1050SE had a lovely space for a disc lock, earplugs and tissues. I could fit a full on ABUS chain under the seat of my VFR , and a full set of waterproofs in a little compartment on my CX500ā€¦Ā 

Ā 

Small lockable (optional) cubby compartment neatly to hand. Ā Big enough to fit a Medium Costa coffee cup in. Not that Iā€™d be drinking while riding, I just struggled to express the size requirement in a visual manner. This for keys, Mars bars, small bottle of water. I found his really handy on my ST1100.

Ā 

Aesthetics. Not that bothered. Iā€™m not looking at it while Iā€™m riding it, though havin a pleasing looking bike in the garage is always nice.

Ā 

Iā€™ll add more later but it seems the sunshine and lawn mowing* are calling me.

Ā 

*I quite enjoy mowing the lawns.Ā 

You want a Triumph Bobber then. It doesn't tick any of the other boxes but the riding position is similar to a good sit on mower.Ā 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

You want a Triumph Bobber then. It doesn't tick any of the other boxes but the riding position is similar to a good sit on mower.Ā 

Not sure I could cope with sitting on my ride on mower for any length of time.Ā 
Ā 

A friend has a Triumph Ā America which I think is a similar bike form. I took it for a spinā€¦ it felt like riding what I imagine a birthing chair with wheels would be like.šŸ¤·

• Haha 1

@Steve_MĀ I don't think the bike you want exists.Ā  Centre of gravity matters as much as weight, I have found. I have just traded my R1250RT for the R1250RS. Not the upright riding position you are after, but a lot easier to handle at low speed and more nimble. The R1200R might be worth thinking about. I know it doesn't meet you weight target but CofG is low.

35 minutes ago, keith1200rs said:

@Steve_MĀ I don't think the bike you want exists.Ā  Centre of gravity matters as much as weight, I have found. I have just traded my R1250RT for the R1250RS. Not the upright riding position you are after, but a lot easier to handle at low speed and more nimble. The R1200R might be worth thinking about. I know it doesn't meet you weight target but CofG is low.

Agreed it doesnā€™t exist.
Ā 

CoGā€¦ yes - my previous bike was an FJR1300. Big, top heavy sod of a bike.Ā 
Ā 

I tried a R1200RS before the salesmanā€™s suggested I try the GS. I did like the RS but the GS floated my boat rather more despite the fact I really wanted to dislike it. Iā€™d taken a couple for a test some years before and had memories of one being excellent and the other not so much.

Ā 

The R would be good fitted with luggage. Iā€™ve seen a photo of one with panniers and they look like they would fit the bill, but then Iā€™d have to fit a screenā€¦ Iā€™m not a fan of riding naked bikesā€¦ they just feel oddā€¦

Ā 

Thereā€™s also the issue of weight.

Ā 

Iā€™ll just have to keep dreamingā€¦Ā 

Edited by Steve_M

Agree with the above... your gonna have to compromise on a good few things of (do i really need them???)

Shaft drive is probably the biggest hurdle to be honest..

Ā 

Luggage can be added to most bikes of that type... might not be a givi badge sob they are out there.

Electrical crap can be added most of the time if you know what and who if tour not gonna do it yourself...

Engine well with the words of spread across the rev range youve boxed yourself to a twin, parallel, twin or box...

Ā 

A goldwing?? Sounds more like a car or do you wanna fit a small trailer to the back of the bike?? Lol.

Ā 

Theres a reason why the gs is popular among its type, they have pigeon hole themselves iznto it.

Ā 

I read your description, and in my mind you've just described a Honda CX650 turbo.

Ā 

Honda-CX650-Turbo-1.jpg

Ā 

Unfortunately it doesn't have cruise control, and it's on the heavier side, but maybe an adjustable throttle lock could make up the difference? šŸ¤”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I read your description, and in my mind you've just described a Honda CX650 turbo.

Ā 

Honda-CX650-Turbo-1.jpg

Ā 

Unfortunately it doesn't have cruise control, and it's on the heavier side, but maybe an adjustable throttle lock could make up the difference? šŸ¤”

Given my fondness for my old CX500 ES, itā€™s not much of a leap, and probably ticks many of the boxes. Age (mine, also) might be a bit of an issue..

Ā 

What concerned me as I knocked out the wish list was that I may have been describing a Honda Deauvilleā€¦ šŸ¤” which, in fairness, is a worthy and capable bike and may be a good fit for my needs.

Ā 

I would rather go without cruise control than use any mechanical throttle lock. I once had to do an emergency stop and my throttle was a bit sticky and didnā€™t close on its own. Locked front wheel, bike staring to go down, sheer terror made me let go of the brake and the bike recovered.Ā  Fortunately, this was only an exercise on a machine controls course, in the real world it would have been a different outcome.

Edited by Steve_M

3 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Agree with the above... your gonna have to compromise on a good few things of (do i really need them???)

Shaft drive is probably the biggest hurdle to be honest..

Ā 

Luggage can be added to most bikes of that type... might not be a givi badge sob they are out there.

Electrical crap can be added most of the time if you know what and who if tour not gonna do it yourself...

Engine well with the words of spread across the rev range youve boxed yourself to a twin, parallel, twin or box...

Ā 

A goldwing?? Sounds more like a car or do you wanna fit a small trailer to the back of the bike?? Lol.

Ā 

Theres a reason why the gs is popular among its type, they have pigeon hole themselves iznto it.

Ā 

Life is a compromise. šŸ™

Ā 

Goldwing . I tried it. Didnā€™t like it, though that was the first 1800cc model. A mate had a demo ā€˜wing as a loaner last week and was impressed. But heā€™s an old 52yrs and rides an RT so readily ignored.Ā 

Ā 

As for the GSā€¦ Iā€™ve used mine to tour lumpy bits of Europe - two up and luggage, Ā leisure rides, completed Ā my RoSPA training on it. Itā€™s done around 40-50 laps on track at Cadwell Park, and a Motogymkhana tryout day at Bruntingthorpe. While I donā€™t have the same emotional link to it as I had for my CX500 and VFR800, and not as capable a tourer, in my view, as the ST1100 , it is a fabulously competent bike.
Ā 

Given my list, and todayā€™s visit to Lloyds Honda Ā / Motorrad in Carlisle, there is nothing in their ranges that comes close with the exception of the GS and (at a push, RT which, at Ā£21k is a bit rich for me and really doesnā€™t float my boat.

Ā 

The Honda NT1100 had potential but those panniersā€¦ just not a practical shape.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Steve_M

2 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Life is a compromise. šŸ™

Ā 

Goldwing . I tried it. Didnā€™t like it, though that was the first 1800cc model. A mate had a demo ā€˜wing as a loaner last week and was impressed. But heā€™s an old 52yrs and rides an RT so readily ignored.Ā 

Ā 

As for the GSā€¦Ā 
Ā 

GS and (at a push, RT which, at Ā£21k is a bit rich for me and really doesnā€™t float my boat.

Ā 

The Honda NT1100 had potential but those panniersā€¦ just not a practical shape.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Dont worry Most other riders ignore the gs group, uve just not noticed šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‚.

Ā 

sorry but im in the boat where a gs is fair too rich.
just buy a alu box panniers for what bike u get.

The only other option is the f/gs800 or is it 900 now??
But your not compromising šŸ™‚.

BeyondĀ this point honestly just stick with the gs you have now and be done with it šŸ™„.

Ā 

7 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Ā 

Dont worry Most other riders ignore the gs group, uve just not noticed šŸ˜‰šŸ˜‚.

Ā 

sorry but im in the boat where a gs is fair too rich.
just buy a alu box panniers for what bike u get.

The only other option is the f/gs800 or is it 900 now??
But your not compromising šŸ™‚.

BeyondĀ this point honestly just stick with the gs you have now and be done with it šŸ™„.

Ā 

I wouldnā€™t notice ā€˜cos, as a GS Rider, Iā€™m far too above that sort of thing. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚.

Ā 

The GS was far too rich for me for many years and, now Iā€™m a poor pensioner replacing it with another one is way out of my budget. ā˜¹ļø

Sorry Steve it was ment to say BM not gs or other models allowed to pinpoint people these days.šŸ˜

Ā 

Oh dear old personšŸ¤­.

Every time i visit a bike shop there is always mechanic swearing at a bm while having its rear shaft or wheel bearing replace, just before the mechanic rapes the customer out of money for having them to work on the thing! Lol.

Im actually surprised you haven't been bankrupt or beaten for having shaft drive bikes.... or have you???šŸ¤”.
You'd think there would be a BMWgate sufferer support line sometime šŸ¤£.

Ā 

anyway good luck on the hunt.šŸ‘šŸ½

13 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Sorry Steve it was ment to say BM not gs or other models allowed to pinpoint people these days.šŸ˜

Ā 

Oh dear old personšŸ¤­.

Every time i visit a bike shop there is always mechanic swearing at a bm while having its rear shaft or wheel bearing replace, just before the mechanic rapes the customer out of money for having them to work on the thing! Lol.

Im actually surprised you haven't been bankrupt or beaten for having shaft drive bikes.... or have you???šŸ¤”.
You'd think there would be a BMWgate sufferer support line sometime šŸ¤£.

Ā 

anyway good luck on the hunt.šŸ‘šŸ½

Iā€™ve had chain driven bikes. I really donā€™t miss cleaning, oiling, refilling Scottoilers, cleaning Ā the fling off the wheels, exhaust swing arm, rear suspension, panniers.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ā 

šŸ¤”

Ā 

I think the RT would suit you :D

Ā 

I sat on an RT (Ā£21k šŸ˜±) at Lloyds Motorrad the other day. Not really my taste, though it does probably tick many of the boxes.Ā 

Ā 

Ā£21k, actually, even half that now may be a stretch. A two fold impact in the last year or so, being massive price increases on materials for the house renovation, and the damage to pension pots in the Truss budget has set us back quite hard.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, Steve_M said:

I sat on an RT (Ā£21k šŸ˜±) at Lloyds Motorrad the other day. Not really my taste, though it does probably tick many of the boxes.Ā 

Ā 

Ā£21k, actually, even half that now may be a stretch. A two fold impact in the last year or so, being massive price increases on materials for the house renovation, and the damage to pension pots in the Truss budget has set us back quite hard.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Get a good used one!Ā 

Ā 

You can pick them up for a little over half that price with all the toys and low miles with the usual 2 year BMW warranty!Ā 

Ā 

Just sell the wife or something :lol:Ā 

Ā 

High interest rates aren't helping either as its just pushing up the monthly payments too!Ā 

Ā 

I have a few mates who have the GS and they all say how much lower they are and a lower CoG tooĀ 

Ā 

Still frigging heavy thoughĀ 

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Ā 

Just sell the wife or something :lol:Ā 

Ā 

I didnā€™t realise that was an option. I had to give mine the car and most of the house Ā to get rid of herā€¦ šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Ā 

• Haha 3