Tank Pad / Gripa recommendations (CBR650R)

Interference Fit

My CBR650R could benefit from some of those grippy pads on the sides of the tank to help my knees/inner thighs to grip on to, but I'd prefer clear ones as my bike has graphics in that area which will look naff covered up half way through the tank with black ones.

So far I've found R&G, Puig & EZGrip:

https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/tank-pads/specific-side-tank-pads?&bike=28149&location_iso=GB

https://freaklizard.com/product/rg-tank-traction-grips-clear-2-grip-kit-honda-cbr650r-2019-2023/  (only pictures the black)

https://www.eazi-grip.com/shop/eazi-grip-honda-cb650r-cbr650r-clear-2019-2023/?attribute_style=PRO

Looking for something with a soft, silicone type feel to it and not something akin to stake board grip tape.

Any experiences or other recommendations?

1 hour ago, Interference Fit said:

Thanks, I'll go for easi-grip.

Evo or Pro?

I prefer the look of the finer pattern on the pro, rather than the large bumps on the Evo.

Either of you tried the Pro and do they offer decent 'grip'?

Thanks!

The Pro. 

Looking at the Evo they will damage your leathers. 

The grip will be fine. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With a couple of hundred miles under my belt, my experience is that the 'Pro' version of these do not provide the level of grip I was looking or hoping for.

I'd say they're about half way there but a little too fine, hard and shiny in surface texture to give enough traction.

Despite pinching my legs and knees against them, I still slide forwards under breaking and have to frequently adjust my seating position, which I guess was part of the design brief for the Pro version.

I'm looking for something that I imaging rubberised carpet underlay would provide - basically no slippage, so will probably peel these off and try again with the Evo and just accept the black colour, unless there are others I might try?

Edited by Interference Fit

Try this. Ignore the pic of the pillion seat, read the description. You could always contact them to make sure it’s definitely for the rider before ordering. 

I’ve used tribo seat in the past and your arse will not go anywhere while sat on one of these. 

https://www.triboseat.com/product/honda-cb-650r-2019-2022/

Edited by fullscreenaging

13 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

Try this. Ignore the pic of the pillion seat, read the description. You could always contact them to make sure it’s definitely for the rider before ordering. 

I’ve used tribo seat in the past and your arse will not go anywhere while sat on one of these. 

https://www.triboseat.com/product/honda-cb-650r-2019-2022/

Thanks. It's the knees which are key for me as I use them to brace my posture and core to take the weight off my wrists and maintain a loose 'playing the piano' hand grip. With the Pro grips, they're always sliding and slipping a little. Better than not having them, but not the rubberised tool box liner type grip I was hoping for.

You should only be using the grips for braking right? 

The tribo seat will stop you sliding forwards on its own and in conjunction with the rank grips you should stick to the bike very well. 

Do you have leathers or textiles?

If textile it could be that the pant material is gripping the pads, but you’re getting movement in side the pants? 
I can only speculate though. 

2 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

You should only be using the grips for braking right? 

The tribo seat will stop you sliding forwards on its own and in conjunction with the rank grips you should stick to the bike very well. 

Do you have leathers or textiles?

If textile it could be that the pant material is gripping the pads, but you’re getting movement in side the pants? 
I can only speculate though. 

I use the knee grip to anchor myself to the bike so I can brace my core and back to take the weight off my wrists - this is what I've been advised by multiple sports bkie riders. If I can't grip the bike between my legs and knees properly, if I take the weight off my wrists, I flop forwards, so the knee grip is essential to hold and support that leant forward sports bike posture. 

• Like 1

Hmm

I wasn’t expecting that reply. 
The tank grip pads are to help you grip the tank with your legs when under heavy braking to stop you sliding forwards and thus alleviating the pressure that will go through your arms. 

You should be able to squeeze the tank with your legs without tank grips when riding normally and by using your upper core alleviate the weight going into your arms and wrists. 

Are you riding with your forearms parallel to the ground? 
If they are not you will end up with stiff arms and wrists on a sports bike. 

Again I’m speculating as I can’t see you ride, but if you feel tense on the bike then with your forearms parallel to the ground, just flap your elbows like doing the funky chicken and this will immediately loosen you up. 

EDIT: I’ve owned a CBR600RR So know about riding a sports bike. 

Edited by fullscreenaging

6 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

Hmm

I wasn’t expecting that reply. 
The tank grip pads are to help you grip the tank with your legs when under heavy braking to stop you sliding forwards and thus alleviating the pressure that will go through your arms. 

You should be able to squeeze the tank with your legs without tank grips when riding normally and by using your upper core alleviate the weight going into your arms and wrists. 

Are you riding with your forearms parallel to the ground? 
If they are not you will end up with stiff arms and wrists on a sports bike. 

Again I’m speculating as I can’t see you ride, but if you feel tense on the bike then with your forearms parallel to the ground, just flap your elbows like doing the funky chicken and this will immediately loosen you up. 

EDIT: I’ve owned a CBR600RR So know about riding a sports bike. 

I hear you and agree, I can grip the bike with my legs, just not securely enough - the pads have helped, just not enough as they're not grippy enough. Just need something gripper so that when I am gripping, there is no slip. With these, there is still some slip, just not as bad as without. In short, they're not good enough for my needs. 

I find that through all of my leg to bike interface, I get the greatest mechanical advantage at the knees, but the entire upper leg is helping. 

Got to remember you are quite tall at 6ft four and thin build off memory?

Ideally you want as much of the inside thigh to have contact with the tank and possibly top of the knee to have extra perches on any tanks cut out?
I suspect all youve got is the tiny amount on the inside of the knee,  side of the kcap maybe a less than a pin pong balls worth?

Food for thought and to think about:

if your tall and trying to get a slight tuck or raised up on that bike with the positions while the bikes bars, pegs and seat at standard setting out of the factory you it might have you hunched up like a scared cat or a massive dog trying to hump a small one which then your knees will to pointing down below the tanks optimum contact area... while in a tuck the knee might be further back and higher which might at first be the actual decent position for the knee but when your braking or your having to move out of that spot. Ehhh maybe? 

a side view picture of you on the bike as you sit up normally riding 30zones and then one in a comfortable lowered almost racing tuck.

so depending on how you are sitting and into relation to the bike designed contact points slight alignment of pegs and or bars might just give you the extra help you need? 

Edited by RideWithStyles

8 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Got to remember you are quite tall at 6ft four and thin build off memory?

Ideally you want as much of the inside thigh to have contact with the tank and possibly top of the knee to have extra perches on any tanks cut out?
I suspect all you've got is the tiny amount on the inside of the knee,  side of the kcap maybe a less than a pin pong balls worth?

Food for thought and to think about:

if your tall and trying to get a slight tuck or raised up on that bike with the positions while the bikes bars, pegs and seat at standard setting out of the factory you it might have you hunched up like a scared cat or a massive dog trying to hump a small one which then your knees will to pointing down below the tanks optimum contact area... while in a tuck the knee might be further back and higher which might at first be the actual decent position for the knee but when your braking or your having to move out of that spot. Ehhh maybe? 

a side view picture of you on the bike as you sit up normally riding 30zones and then one in a comfortable lowered almost racing tuck.

so depending on how you are sitting and into relation to the bike designed contact points slight alignment of pegs and or bars might just give you the extra help you need? 

Your first paragraph and comment about the inside of the knee is spot on. 

My only contact patch with the sides of the tank with any kind of useable pressure is at the point where most tank pads stop up front.

I never try to ride with a tuck, I just ride about in a chilled out position, arms relaxed, slightly bent elbows towards a playing the piano type posture with little to no weight on the wrists and my core braced to support my long back, which is bent forwards as its a CBR650R - the anchor/bracing comes from my knees as nothing else touches with any pressure at all.

This is how I normally ride, albeit with a slightly more relaxed arm than shown here...

p0HNLdD.jpeg?1

2 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

If I’m honest with you. I think you’ve gone for the wrong bike. 
I think you are just too big for it and I don’t think you will ever feel 100% comfortable on it. 

I wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable, I did 4 hours on it the other day without a problem, just that the tank pads weren't quite grippy enough. I've peeled them off this morning, cut them to a different shape and re-mounted them further forward, right under my knee contact patch and it feels like it'll be a bit more grippy.

But.... I take your point re my size - it was the same situation on pretty much all the sports bikes and middle weight nakeds, the CBR being the least sporty riding position of the super sports. 

As it's my first bike, I didn't want something too big, heavy or unmanageable, and given I'd learned on the naked version, and I adore the looks and 4 cyl nature of it, if felt like the right choice for me with the ink still wet on my licence. Bikes like the CB500X, Transalp and V-Strom 800DE certainly felt better, but didn't light my fire in any way shape for form, where every time I look at my CBR and ride it, I get the big fizz.

Having done nearly 600 miles on it now, I've learned a few things that will help me choose my next bike.

1) The fairing on the CBR is amazing and the wind protection is fantastic - I have to hold my hand out quite far to the side or above my helmet before I feel the edge of the air curtain - really is impressive. I think I'd miss that if I went back to the constant tiring wind blast of a fully naked bike. 

2) I'd definitely like an upright riding position without any forward lean - negating consideration of core support, knee grip and anchoring.

3) The CBR makes me feel amazing and has confirmed the importance for the emotional fizz, not just practicalities.

I'll certainly get another bike next year, but very well might keep the CBR in the stable as I've bonded with it and just really like it.

I'm not a full on adventure bike guy, nor am I a traditional sport tourer fan, but maybe something like a Multistrada, or the new Guzzi Stelvio just revealed might do the trick. I had a good look at the BMWs the other week including the new GS, but just didn't make a connection - they felt a bit soulless to me. 

All good fun. 

All great points. 

You may find over the years that what you want from a bike may change and you’ve already worked out some of the things you will take into consideration for your next bike. 

The good thing is that when you come to buy your future bikes you will be able to test ride them, which is completely different to only being able to sit on them. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

All great points. 

You may find over the years that what you want from a bike may change and you’ve already worked out some of the things you will take into consideration for your next bike. 

The good thing is that when you come to buy your future bikes you will be able to test ride them, which is completely different to only being able to sit on them. 

Hopefully Guzzi have the Stelvio at the NEC later this month, as it looks superb.

2024-moto-guzzi-stelvio-first-ride-revie

Agree with Full scrren, i think there were better options for your body dimension without having to buy a over powered bike, but their are thing to mitigate the problems.

Due to your very long thighs is pushing your  arse really far back in the seat which your groin is two or more fist sized gaps to the tank just like that position let alone trying to push yourself back to a bit more tuck which you'll struggle to do as your already pretty much at the pillion cowl now which is not helping you get grip and balance.

im assuming your an office worker of something like that so because youve got quite long arms it doesnt seem to discomfort you.

One other note is your having to over bare (from above and down) the bars, so when braking your hands almost try to roll over the grips and upper body tries to do the same (throw you over the top) as you COM is way higher than the bike. so youll be fighting rolling over the front of the bike more than say a 5ft 7in pserson. Which is putting more pressure into the forks and tyres  down.
This also waste's energy pushing prominently down and out in a vertically down on the bars to turn rather than along in the horizontal line. 

how much do tou weigh? Picture not brill but you might already be bottoming out the forks and the rear shock might need adjusting to cope with you. Tyres pressure you running it on at the mo? picture of the fork santions, shock shaft and tyres wear will give clue.

Edited by RideWithStyles

3 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Agree with nick, i think there were better options for your body dimension without having to buy a over powered bike,

Due to your very long thighs is pushing your  arse really far back in the seat which your groin is two or more fist sized gaps to the tank just like that position let alone trying to push yourself back to a bit more tuck which you'll struggle to do as your already pretty much at the pillion cowl now which is not helping you get grip and balance.

im assuming your an office worker of something like that so because youve got quite long arms it doesnt seem to discomfort you.

One other note is your having to over bare (from above and down) the bars, so when braking your hands almost try to roll over the grips and upper body tries to do the same (throw you over the top) as you COM is way higher than the bike. so youll be fighting rolling over the front of the bike more than say a 5ft 7in pserson.
This also waste's energy pushing prominently down and out in a vertically down on the bars to turn rather than along in the horizontal line. 

how much do tou weigh? Picture not brill but you might already be bottoming out the forks and the rear shock might need adjusting to cope with you. Tyres pressure you running it on at the mo? picture of the fork santions, shock shaft and tyres wear will give clue.

I'm not very heavy at all, just over 11 stone, so I don't believe there are any suspension issues.

Tyre pressures are as per the book - 42F / 36R.

All your points make sense.

As I'm in my late 40's, when I was first getting really into cars and bikes, it was the ZXR400 and ZXR750 that absolutely captivated me like no other bike, so a part of this journey, even if only temporary was to scratch the high revving, 4 cyl sports bike itch whilst they're still refining crude oil. From all the ones I sat on that could be considered novice friendly, this was the most accommodating and I have zero regrets.

The alternative perspective is that I've only ever ridden the CB650R during my lessons, and now the CBR650R so have no other frame of reference of how a bike could feel (to actually ride), so it's difficult for me to judge whether something is good or not, other than I just love it objectively.

When I get another bike, I look forward to being able to make comparisons and better work out what's right for my head, heart and body shape!

26 minutes ago, Interference Fit said:

Tyre pressures are as per the book - 42F / 36R.

Should be 42 rear and 36 front. 😉

11 st dry or is that with full kit on.
questions to ask your self:

have you checked how much sag is there while your on the bike? How much travel in the forks and shock are you currently using? If not then how do you know they are ok?

manufacturer doesn't know who will be buying it, under 5ft to 6ft 8, 40kg to 120+kg so how do you know its set for you? Dealer wouldnt have done anything to it for you...

Edited by RideWithStyles

1 hour ago, RideWithStyles said:

11 st dry or is that with full kit on.
questions to ask your self:

have you checked how much sag is there while your on the bike? How much travel in the forks and shock are you currently using? If not then how do you know they are ok?

manufacturer doesn't know who will be buying it, under 5ft to 6ft 8, 40kg to 120+kg so how do you know its set for you? Dealer wouldnt have done anything to it for you...

77kg ready to ride so close to the middle or just under the middle of what I suspect was Honda's window of operation.

Front forks are non-adjustable.

Rear only has pre-load, set to just the soft side of middle, which I guess can't be too far out given I'm just a bit lighter than average?

Short answer, I've not checked, but with only rear pre-load to play with and the above parameters, I'd be surprised anything was amiss?  It feels fine over speed bumps and humps.