LED Lights (Oledone)

Overstrider

Hi, bit of advice please.
I have a Triumph 900 GT with aftermarket (Oledone) LED Lights fitted to the crash bars.
I want to run them all the time for visibility but I'm dazzling pedestrians and oncoming users.
1) is it legal to ride with these lights on all the time?
2) is it just a matter of angling the lights down to the ground to stop blinding if I want to keep them on all the time?

Appreciate your advice.
Cheers

Any fitted lights that will cause dazzling to other road users are considered illegal and either incorrectly used or fitted.

running lights should not be so intense that will disturb other road users but strong enough that would be seen at a distance of 120m.

Either you have fog lights, which are illegal to use during clear days, or they are actually auxiliary lights and will need to comply with the range that they are supposed to reach (40m at the top of the beam) with a clear demarcation.

Should those be high beam auxiliary lights then they will be connected to the main lights of the bike.

• Thanks 1

What husoi says is quite correct, but try having a look, and altering the direction of the beam.  I've had these on a couple of my bikes now and have never had any issues.  I did have one or two cars flash me when I was on the Tracer, but all I did was adjust the angle of the lights ...... Just an after thought, check the headlight beam angle as well.  LED lights on bikes can be pretty bright and some drivers flash even with lights dipped.

Edited by manxie49
  • Thanks 2

Its usually down to them being badly aimed as @manxie49 says. I just looked at the website and couldn't find any information, but often lights that are for both daytime and nighttime use will run at two power levels. 50% during the day and 100% at night. Also you might be able to buy coloured lenses for them that clip on. Not very commonly used here in the UK, though the usage is increasing - for example Honda now have 'always on' front indicators on a lot of their bikes that run at 50% and jump up to 100% when being used to flash a turning. So lenses, if available might be the answer. They definitely make the bike more noticeable.

When I had LEDs on my previous bike I was careful to adjust the aim so that they would satisfy the MOT. even though they were not part of the MOT. So they would mostly increase the dip massively and in the process would really help main beam at night. close and far distance both covered.

Thought they were fogs but actually spots, wired up to a seperate switch.

http://adventurebiketech.co.za/index.php?id_product=55&controller=product

I've aimed them pointing to the floor a bit.  I'll check them tonight on the way home from work, but if they continue to dazzle I'll just use them along with my full beam with no oncoming traffic.

Cheers, appreciate advice.

Point them down and if you get pulled play dumb and say you didn't realise they was on! 

If you get a fine which would be highly unlikely then take it on the chin 

Mine are always on and never had an issue