Westgate road, Newcastle.

Geordie Oldie

Anyone on here remember the halcyon days of Westgate road in the 70s and 80s?

Saturday morning and hundreds of bikes in lines as far as you can see, lads on crutches leg in a cast as a badge of honour, races up the hill, bike adverts in the newsagents window, that smashing little cafe.

Does it still get busy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geordie Oldie said:

I have just been googling, M and S are still there, it was Harry Woods, where I got my first bike.

It's a mere shadow of it's glory days, couple of parts shops and a repair place that's about it, mostly cafes of various ethnic origins 😢

It was great in its day, still get a few bikes in the summer but nowhere near the can't find a spot to squeeze your bike into days.

• Sad 2

I've just driven down it, it's worse than I thought, cafes outnumber anything bike related by a huge amount.

And thanks to the idiotic one way system and bus lane that the busses can't get to because of the congestion caused by the one way and the bus lane it took me 45min to cover 1/4 mile tossers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bender said:

I've just driven down it, it's worse than I thought, cafes outnumber anything bike related by a huge amount.

And thanks to the idiotic one way system and bus lane that the busses can't get to because of the congestion caused by the one way and the bus lane it took me 45min to cover 1/4 mile tossers.

Exactly why when I'm up north I avoid driving in Newcastle if I possibly can. Sad really.

I've never been abroad.

Though apparently I must do soon as my sister has just bought 30 acres up the coast from these here foreign parts. she's mad. it runs in the family. She's currently living in some poxy little village called Lanchester. they can't even spell that right!! spellchecker said no. - repeatedly.

its a constant struggle.

I went up to Newcastle to see a friend when I was 17 on a 175 HD Cagiva two stroke. Took me ages from Lincoln, l had to stick to the A roads cos l was on L plates. No sat nav just a crumpled up map and a phone number for when you got close, must have been around 1980. Bikes used to flash their lights when you passed each other in those days.

Spent a weekend there and visited an area full of bike shops, must have been Westgate rd. I got a Geordie phrase book which l still have somewhere. Wye aye man a lifetime ago, happy days.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Bender said:

So we've met 😂

Bought my MGuzzi 250 from Kitsons on the hill in ‘75. Used to go to hill many a Saturday between 75 and about 79, would do a circuit of various shops - Graham Littles in Felling, a place I can’t remember name of in Dunston, Kawasaki shop at Sth shields. Used to go to Ncle town of a weekday night on the bike, Percy Arms - park bike up alley way to side of pub, the Moon - park bike in concrete car park underneath. Blast down to the Angel in Durham. And maybe Chester le street mway services at midnight on way home. There was rarely a day went by which did not see me out on the bike. Wish I’d kept that Guzzi 250, it was a scream, but likely joy coz I was 17 and discovering life outside the parental home. Things went a bit sideways around ‘80, the collapse of industry, a lot of my mates started hanging around with the angels in Stu shields which wasn’t my cup of tea. 

• Like 2

On 08/12/2023 at 15:58, Geordie Oldie said:

I have just been googling, M and S are still there, it was Harry Woods, where I got my first bike.

its a dead shop walking .. you must make an appointment and use the rear entrance .... the building has been sold .. all franchises are gone .. clothing included .. shortly they will re-locate .. to god knows where .. or cares ...   

On 08/12/2023 at 21:01, Bender said:

there is a ULZ in operation .. it has discouraged the vast mast majority of foot fall .. anyone using a transit upto euro 5 .. faces a £12.50 charge .. most people just avoid the place now.. 

1 hour ago, Copycat73 said:

there is a ULZ in operation .. it has discouraged the vast mast majority of foot fall .. anyone using a transit upto euro 5 .. faces a £12.50 charge .. most people just avoid the place now.. 

It doesn't effect private cars, ours isn't ulez compliant, the area as destination for bikes has been declining steadily for the last 20yrs

13 hours ago, Bender said:

It doesn't effect private cars, ours isn't ulez compliant, the area as destination for bikes has been declining steadily for the last 20yrs

i didn`t say it did .. however the effect has been to discourage cars .. as well as vans from going .. simply because drivers believe it does effect them..  ... try takin to hunters on the hill .. he`ll tell you all about it .. and the conversations he has had from once regular customers that don`t believe that certain categories of vehicles are exempt.. so have gone elsewhere .. 

and yes its been coming for some time .. now it has arrived  its finished .. dead ...   

27 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

i didn`t say it did .. however the effect has been to discourage cars .. as well as vans from going .. simply because drivers believe it does effect them..  ... try takin to hunters on the hill .. he`ll tell you all about it .. and the conversations he has had from once regular customers that don`t believe that certain categories of vehicles are exempt.. so have gone elsewhere .. 

and yes its been coming for some time .. now it has arrived  its finished .. dead ...   

I wonder If Hunters still owned by the people who had it in the 80s?

2 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

I've not spoke to a single person that believes they may have to pay, and going off the traffic I encountered it didn't look like any body was concerned, there is simply not the trade to go round now, fine if you want a kebab or a halal burger though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geordie Oldie said:

I wonder If Hunters still owned by the people who had it in the 80s?

yes it is .. the younger brother runs the shop by himself no .. no other staff employed .. one ex-staff is a bus driver workin at the riverside gateshead.. 

the majority of sales is online .. though he does open reduced hours to serve over the counter .. always quite chatty whenever i`ve been in .. as said the place is empty ..

14 minutes ago, Copycat73 said:

i have.

They need to read the signs and watch the news it was more than well enough publicised 😁

The hill had been going down the hill long before ulez was even thought about, tis a shame but it's been declining for years.

We often park there on Sunday and walk into town.

• Like 1