Mountain rescue

Steve_M

As someone who walks Lake District fells from time to time I periodically pop some money to the mountain rescue teams to support their work. I also keep an eye on what their challenges are. Most call-outs are genuine and happen as a result of a the casualty having a mishap - a slip or a fall. Some are due to being unfamiliar with the terrain and being ill equipped both physically and in terms of kit for the task. These latter I find a bit annoying ‘cos it’s all pretty basic.

Last night’s call-out for the Langdale and Ambleside MRT, though, I found unbelievable and felt more than a little angry at the absolute idiots who created the situation requiring rescue. As the well publicised and anticipated storm Isha developed, a couple chose to walk the Fairfield Horshoe. Part way around they found themselves pinned down and having to take shelter behind a wall. Then they called the MRT who dispatched a team (aided by an RAF team who were training in the area) thus putting more lives at risk through sheer stupidity. 

• Like 2

I never understood why people go for walks....

If humans were meant to walk we would have wheels.

Feet are for standing.

Need proof?

Look at a table. they have feet for standing still and wheels if they are meant to go around. :thumb: 

Plus, never heard of anyone getting injured by sitting on a sofa....

• Haha 2

Not sure what MRT could do to assist if they were not lost as such, troubled by the wind isn't something that a helicopter is going to resolve. I have been atop of Place Fell where the wind was so strong it was hard to draw breath. The horseshoe is a case of trace your steps back or continue the round. That debacle on Red Screes where one of the rescue team was terribly injured and subsequently dies is the one that gets my goat. (During covid iirc)

1 hour ago, veracocha said:

Not sure what MRT could do to assist if they were not lost as such, troubled by the wind isn't something that a helicopter is going to resolve. I have been atop of Place Fell where the wind was so strong it was hard to draw breath. The horseshoe is a case of trace your steps back or continue the round. That debacle on Red Screes where one of the rescue team was terribly injured and subsequently dies is the one that gets my goat. (During covid iirc)

The report suggests MRT made their way up to the idiots then brought them off the fells (in their words) crawling back down. 

The windiest we’ve encountered was on Harrison’s Stickle a couple of years ago. It wasn’t too bad on the way up - a bit breezy is all. The last twenty metres or so, though, we got to the cairn on our hands and knees before getting off the top. We abandoned our planned walk to High Raise and made our way down Stickle Ghyll for safety’s sake.

• Like 1

Me and the wife went up Ben Nevis it was a white out near the top, we passed all sorts of idiots, a Chinese guy in shorts, socks and sandals even the wife said who wears socks and sandals, I know I'm not allowed to.

A family group with kids who had ice axe each, but nothing else, and an old woman who I was amazed had made it past half way, she was struggling I mean what is the thought process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bender said:

Me and the wife went up Ben Nevis it was a white out near the top, we passed all sorts of idiots, a Chinese guy in shorts, socks and sandals even the wife said who wears socks and sandals, I know I'm not allowed to.

A family group with kids who had ice axe each, but nothing else, and old woman who I was amazed had made it past half way, she was struggling I mean what is the thought process.

We’ve encountered quite a few similar when wandering the fells. For example, we once met a couple who were, in our view, inadequately dressed with no map, one early evening on the Corridor route. They were heading for Scafel (not Scafel Pike) as we were heading down from the same. The ascent to Scafel is unpleasant scree and tiring and we advised them that they might wish to reconsider as it would be dusk by the time they got to the top, and dark for the descent. Our opinions were dismissed. You can only do so much…

• Like 1