Bolts on front of Tiger - what ones should I be looking at?

peatear

Vague title, I know very sorry... anyway, i'm looking to mount a sat nav mount on my Tiger 800 (Gen 1 11/61 reg), i've found NOTHING

helping with how or what I need for this, anywhere. Not for my bike. 

ANYHOW - I know mounting the mount isn't complicated, assuming I have the right mount - it APPEARS to be 'correct' , and mounts to two points 

each side. One which has the screen mounted on (i've marked on the pic) and one which is infront of the instrument cluster. I haven't been to the bike

to get a good picture, but according to the bikepartstriumph site (images below) - that uses the below bolt. 

Now, as i'm putting the mount there, i'm assuming i'd need longer bolts - so maybe 2-4 mm longer? I randomly looked for M6 x 18 on amazon

and came up with some. I know theres M6 x 20's etc - can I just use any of them or is there something specific kind I should be looking out for?  

The fact triumphs own ones cost £2.22 or so isn't the issue, i'm not bothered about the cost. 

I know this is a ridiculously newbie question, but I don't like the idea of just getting something that might not be right and bodging it up. 
And i'm struggling to find any real info on my specific bike. Or parts that fit. Lots for newer Tigers, but Gen 1. Nothing. :( 

Thanks for any help! 

3iJt7xR.png

EkZDymp.png

2j30pD4.png

I wouldn’t use just a single bolt to secure your mount to. It’ll shake and bounce all over the place. 

You need at least two anchor points to keep the mount stable. 

The bar above the clocks looks like a perfect place to look at mounting 

One on Ali Express

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006012292909.html?UTABTest=aliabtest481469_657498&src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=17858129175&albag=&trgt=&crea=en1005006012292909&netw=x&device=m&albpg=&albpd=en1005006012292909&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD6I-hHBjMiLeriQxekyT0f2vOoHv&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwbitBhDIARIsABfFYIKUnWmlsx6NNDL3xwYELJCXPjc5xxaLcB1FnsIhjnAGqH3wX6co9DYaAg9WEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&aff_fcid=67d8864db2dc4120bdd9ed40f648f804-1705951322356-05906-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=67d8864db2dc4120bdd9ed40f648f804-1705951322356-05906-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=f94011e3f5a64fdf9a16d7b5869761e5&OLP=1086700608_f_group3&o_s_id=1086700608&afSmartRedirect=y

FC Moto

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?channable=02099069640039363039323835363884&ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/"GPS.11.823.10001/B"&Locale=en_GB&srsltid=AfmBOorfWvJUx_Zr8v5z0IIj0upqe1vGKemkj8iIiVAbvsNpWV4qmEJHHJE

SW MOTECH

https://sw-motech.co.uk/products/gps-mount-for-cockpit-black-triumph-tiger-800-800-xc-xr-10-17?variant=37388636848289&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&srsltid=AfmBOorOOVwaEu2_s6NPuNsW-4kFfUjZ89l3n8D9Xs0JcdqoRJO7vZveSCQ

Edited by fullscreenaging

Agree with FS.

that part of the headlight which is already sharing 5 other point of fixture points in a high stress area from heat/cold, vibration and pressure from wind speed that is just plastic aint really designed for weight bearing points of a nav and your thinking of just one point unless your gonna put a beeline on? 

well how thick is the mount? is the bolt thread fully mounted into the inside thread? Half way? You need to check and if you are gonna just go and do it regardless id use a light thread lock and treat it like its staying there for a very long time.

Really Just mount the nav to the clocks brace as mentioned before or the handle bar or use a stem ball joint mount or put it in a mini tank bag.

12 hours ago, peatear said:

sat nav

You can infarct buy glasses these days no need for nav systems any more

Like @bonio I would use a RAM mount. Either handle bar mount or Clutch/Brake master cylinder fitting kit if the headstock bolt fitting is too low.

20 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

I wouldn’t use just a single bolt to secure your mount to. It’ll shake and bounce all over the place. 

*snip*

Ohhhh, noooo. No I wasn't going to mount on a single bolt. 

The mount is actually pretty much exactly like the one you've linked from AliExpress, got mine from Amazon for £8.. Same thing.
It mounts at 4 points just like that one. The question is just really what are suitable bolts and if longer needed. 

I've ordered some stainless steel bolts about 4 mm longer (roughly same as thickness of mount) so i'll see how well it fits with them.  

16 hours ago, bonio said:

My choice is for a RAM mount that replaces a headstock bolt (like this). But some people find it places the nav too low for them.

I looked at those, and also looked at one on a bike with a Nav, while sitting on it. It isn't very comfortable to have to look down so far. 
Much prefer above the instrument cluster. 

Apologies, I misunderstood your OP

You should be able to find a microfiche online for your bike and that will give you the dimensions of the bolts. 

Then, like you say just get some slightly longer ones. Hopefully you’ve got the right ones ordered already. 

Sorry same here🤭.

what id do is check ALL the bolts lengths and diameter that your replacing. just incase they are different so for example the top two could be 20x5mm and the ones lower down could be 30x7mm because they have more weight/material to support...cos you never know!!!😯

Edited by RideWithStyles
Spells