Srad clutch being wierd

k3lv

Hi folks,  I have a 99 gsxr 750 always clunked and jumped when put into 1st , recently it's jumped and stalled every time I put it in 1st , so I thought I'd try 2nd today an it popped in (usual clunk and twitch) now goes in 1st no problem, pulls as she should, gear change are good , no slipping ......I'm just puzzled has anyone else had anything like this ? 

in 1981 i bought a new yam xj550 and shortly after i bought it i had problems in the mornings putting it into first gear and one particular morning it finally went in gear but that was it it wouldnt go up or down so the shop came and picked it up and they said the clutch bearings had gone , and i was still running it in with 800 miles on the clock so i told them i didnt want it back and i bought another 350lc instead 

Edited by skyrider
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Hi, my 1990 GSXR1100 does the same especially when it's been laid up. The clutch sticks. It works ok when in constant use. Maybe time for some clutch maintenance.

Yeah I'm gonna tear into just to be safe ....it was a whole new clutch pack last year an only put a few hundred miles on it , thanks for the replies 👍

Agree with Nick.

check the Simples first.
Check all for slick movement - Levers, cables, joints.

Check locking nuts and brackets are not moving.

Then its the plates and basket moving, after that its starts to be more involving.

But im thinking it might be play in bearings of the gear shaft or worn fork selection problems which were a weak point in suzukis of that generation.

Check the side stand switch 

it could be sticking a bit and the messing about then putting it in second could have just allowed it enough time to come out 

Next make sure the clutch adjuster is set as per the manual and if the worm drive is worn then replace it! these have to be spot on otherwise they cause issues 

• Thanks 1

So went out this morning same thing it wouldn't  do 1st but went into 2nd even when cold , then selected 1st with no issues even after restarting , took the clutch out made sure the basket didn't have notches ...all good,push rod,bearing,plates,worm drive,adjuster, all good ,reset all the adjusters and set them again all good ....same thing,won't go into 1st until it's gone into 2nd ..also checked the side stand switch that was my 1st go to....all good there , might have to look into selector fork and shaft bearing .......I feel a full strip down and rebuild might be on the cards ........or bike shopping lol 

42 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think if it was a selector fork it would affect it all the time! 

Yeah that's what I thought , but might just strip it all down when I can .....good excuse to buy a 2nd bike 😁

• Like 1