bike won't start

Pete BMW ADV

Hi BMW Adventure1200 cut out and won't start,turns over has fuel and spark.Tried spraying fuel into airbox and seemed to turn over quiker but still did'nt fire.Any idea's welcome,thinking of trying ignition timing,crank sensors ect but thought these area's would show up on fault codes.No fault codes and thought i'd try here first,thanks Pete.

As quick off hand suggestions:

like BF said, they need a really healthy battery.

any immobiliser? Even the std one can interfere when not wanted.

With your thought of timing etc possible if its getting a signal to say its live (no fault) but not getting the correct one it's thinking for its next phases. 

other possibilities is the tip over switch.

ill mull it over to see if owt pops in.

As has been said, definitely check the battery.  My mate who was on Island last year with his 1250GSA had a similar issue.  The bike would turn over, lights and everything were working ok, but it wouldn't start.  His bike actually developed the issue when he was waiting to board the ferry back to Liverpool!  He had to get RAC out.  It turned out his battery was knackered.  Those big old Boxer twin engines use a lot of power to fire them up, and if you're running anything else of them in the background they can drain quickly, especially if you've recently done a few shorts trips involving a lot of starting and stopping the engine.

• 3 weeks later...

ok thanks everybody for suggestions,sorry left this long to get back.I did put new battery on and code reader,up to my kneck with jobs at minute struggling to spend time on it and do full investigation.Have picoscope but seems limited what can do on a no start engine,will start checking everything with multimeter soon as get a few jobs out of the way,thanks again.