So how do you steer a bike?

onesea

In my case.  Since I hit late middle age.  Usually very badly.

Thats why I went from from the highway warrior willing to give anyone a race for their money to a leisurly chap ready for two laps of the local park lake in a wicker bath chair.... And god take the hindmost..

But I survived.. Just.  Never expected to.

3 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

This is true. When I was taking lessons for my Mod 2, we went down some twisties and the lead rider was going faster than I was comfortable and I ended up falling behind. I just couldn't get the bike to go round the corners fast enough without pushing wide, at one point I almost contacted a hedge on the exit. 

At the relatively slow speeds and lean angles whilst on lessons, I wasn't conscious of counter steering, it felt just like riding a bike in that I didn't think about what I was doing, I just 'steered'.

Only when I learned what counter steering is and made a conscious decision to do it, did it all fall into place. Now with some experience under my belt, I just push the inside bar away until I achieve the desired lean angle for the speed / bend combo and that's that.

Of course I'm still making adjustments mid bend or roundabout to correct the ideal amount of lean for the bend, but that'll come with more practice. The good thing is now that I don't have to think about it like I did in the early days on my CBR. I lost count of the amount of times I'd say to myself in my head approaching a bend "Push, look, lean".

I've never thought about it. Obviously I do it. If I start thinking about it I'd probably fall off 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Fleck said:

I've never thought about it. Obviously I do it. If I start thinking about it I'd probably fall off 😂

I do question myself about this and just came to the conclusion that I'm probably not a 'natural' and therefore have (had) to think about it and practice to get more comfortable at higher speeds.

Edited by Interference Fit