Mudguards on motorbikes

S-Westerly

Why do modern bikes have such useless mudguards? I know they aren't particularly aesthetic in appearance but surely something halfway decent could be devised. My new bike which I think is gorgeous to look at, is desperately bad for minimising road crap from being spattered all over the rear of the bike including the expensive adaptive Ohlins suspension. There's no after market rear hugger available, at least not yet. Lots of XCP and washing is thus required. 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

ignore me.. totally wrong. 

though.. if appropriate a shock sock might help protect the spring etc until something more permanent appears.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Thanks 1

neoprene shock sock tube will do a grand job, only thing with it i would do is not just fit and forget entirely.

so when you decide to do a good/big wash to the take it off and give a clean (including the tube), add rust protection and refit tube.

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

ignore me.. totally wrong. 

though.. if appropriate a shock sock might help protect the spring etc until something more permanent appears.

That's not a bad idea and at least would keep the worst of the crap off in winter.

8 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I know they aren't particularly aesthetic in appearance

You've answered your own question. Very few motorcycles are designed with any thought of practicality other than the basic ergonomics and overall styling. Even on something like my R1250RT a bike designed to give rider protection so they can cover hundred of miles with ease, still needs a mudguard extender at the the front, a longer flap at the back and some infill panels at the side to stop the cr*p going everywhere.