Help with insurance

Dae

Hello guys,

Just need some advice on insurance. I am planning to buy Yamaha YZF 125, checked the insurance (UK) and it is ridiculous. over 2000quid. Is it normally that expensive or are there methods to receive cheaper quotes Please let me know.

Thanks guys!

Use 2 or 3 comparison websites.

I got a renewal offer of £101 then got a £66 from a different provider.

You need to make this a regular routine, search thoroughly and experiment with the different options before commit to a contract.

A friend have an weird insurance where the policy is just to make it legal to be on the road but have no cover?!?!?!

I didn't even know this existed.

The high premium is usually due to new rider lack of experience, or a long interval between insurances. Location also impacts, where the bike is stored during the night, security devices, etc.

Things that make it cheaper are;

Crime free post code. If you live in a city centre it's more expensive, if you live in a conservative rural village, cheaper.

Age and experience. Young and just got the bike, no experience more of a risk. Old with lots of no claims bonus and a clean license, cheaper.

Then there are the bits and bobs. Not using it to commute to work, being married, limited mileage, can show them you are a sensible person.

Security devices, there are lists of what counts towards a discount.

Having advanced riding skills, not sure what they are, never had any.

By you getting a 125 your postcode and age I'm guessing may be your biggest enemy. Have you got a granny that lives in the sticks?

Being a new rider will always be expensive as you are high risk. 

Redo the quote with the same bike but a couple of years old. Sometimes there is a much higher cost for brand new bikes than slightly older ones even though the only real difference is the reg year. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed the same. 60 years old and planning to do DAS this year and looking at RE Himalayan or Honda CB500X. Clean driving licence since 81 but no biking experience other than CBT, and a week’s rental on L plates, live just inside M25, employed, married, homeowner etc.

Quotes for above bikes, garaged, SDP and commuting coming in at £500 with over double that for excess.

Even when I tweak the details on comparison sites, remove commuting, put full bike licence for a year, BikeSafe course and IAM bike pass there’s little difference.

For a 125 on a CBT only the quotes were double that.

I found this renewal that going with same company as my car insurance halved my premium, because they could see the driving record and took that into consideration,  last year bikesure was great but strangely after a year of no accidents or problems the price was crazy, so by comparing I found Swinton (Ageas) was cheapest for my bike and got much better quote when paired with car policy, even with different start dates, worth a phone call if you do have a car and good record, hope it works out for you

• Like 1

thats what living in an area (read into that what you will) with little experience or license category can do -cost too much.

the advanced courses very rarely offer any worthwhile discounts to do soley for insurance cost purposes other than your own knowledge and piece of mind to ride in like the manner the courses preach.

comps/under writers are very coy, look at percentages....not had a claim for a good while? they see it your more likely/risks get higher to have one /due one by being com-placement or something with the next years policy they have to pay out.

Swinton wanted 3 times as much for my van as Aviva.

Devitt were half as much Bennett's with Ageas for the bike.

It's a nightmare at the moment out there. The only thing I can suggest is keep looking you may get lucky. Other times you just have to pay up and hope things settle down for next year.

• Like 2