New member seeking general advice

Plumber

Hi, having turned 60 almost 2 years ago I’m looking for a project. I’ve never owned a bike but have always worked on cars over the years. I’ve been looking for something vintage to restore then ride. Don’t laugh but I fancy a wee 50cc having had shots of my mate’s bikes back in the late 70’s. A Fizzie would be ideal but prices have gone mental. I’ve spotted a couple of Yamaha YB 50’s that need restoration but having googled them. There doesn’t seem to be any parts available. Am I just looking in the wrong places or are all parts discontinued? Any other general advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Just had a look and you are right, yb50 spares seem to be pretty limited. Not sure why :classic_wacko:

Hi,

yes anything any good in the small cc market has been pretty much bought up. Especially the rose tinted peds of our youth. I guess the more popular the bike the more spares (in theory) there should be. Maybe something like a Honda cub? Yamaha v50?

I would like to put up BSA bantum as an option,  not big money for a fixeruper, easy mechanics, and spares seem to available, I would go hunting for any thing after 1956, which is when they introduced swing arms, i think it was D3, 150cc and D5 175, the D1, 125cc will stop to a walking pace in a headwind.

11 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

if i were you id go on to the next generation of bikes that were well loved but haven't appreciated much yet...

What sort of thing are you thinking?

4 hours ago, Fender1515 said:

I would like to put up BSA bantum as an option,  not big money for a fixeruper, easy mechanics, and spares seem to available, I would go hunting for any thing after 1956, which is when they introduced swing arms, i think it was D3, 150cc and D5 175, the D1, 125cc will stop to a walking pace in a headwind.

He'll be able to ride a 125cc on a CBT and L plates .. 150cc or 175cc and he'll have to pass his test to ride it.

Honda S90 maybe? .. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/326035125064?itmmeta=01HRF4F1D9HGZDQ7PXMTKMPFYE&hash=item4be9353348:g:-eIAAOSwpKRly4Db

Edited by KiwiBob

Hi, have you considered a cg125, theres lots you can do with them, have a search for customised ones. Spares a plenty and lots of big bore kits and things . Simple to work on and reliable.  

cheers Steve